• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heep2jeep
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 22, 2006

Dead Spot in Steering Wheel

Ok, I have a 1989 Grand Wagoneer (with 6inch suspension lift, running 35" tires) that has a dead spot in the steering wheel so to say play in the wheel whenever you start to turn it.
    I have replaced the steering box, tie rods, ball joints, and wheel bearings so far. Although the rig seemed a little better each time I replaced something the dead spot is still there.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated... thank you.

1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 6" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Katzkin Upholstery
    - Cover rig on Jeep Junkie-
  • cttandy
    258 I6
    • Apr 07, 2008

What did you replace the steering box with, Factory or s-10? Are you running a drop pitman arm, or the standard pitman arm?
    SOLD - NO LONGER A FSJ OWNER
    http://tnfsj.org/
    87 GW- BUG (BIG UGLY GUZZLER)
    Edelbrock intake,Carter Competition Carb, mild cam, HEI Distributor, S-10 Steering box, 3 inch body lift, 3.5 inch AAL lift, GM truck shackles, 2 inch rear blocks, 33x12.50's

Comment

• heep2jeep
      230 Tornado
      • Jan 22, 2006

the Steering box is an AGR SB2, and I am running a drop pitman arm...
      1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 6" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Katzkin Upholstery
      - Cover rig on Jeep Junkie-

Comment

• shimniok
        360 AMC
        • Jan 08, 2003

A lot of little things can really add up. I've fought the same battle for years. Have all new linkages, adjusted the steering box (not recommended), new ball joints, new wheel bearings, etc. I recently discovered the poly spring bushings up front were hashed (non-existent) after 10 years. I replaced one of them and lost a fair bit of slop.

You might have a peek at the rag joint too.

After that, there isn't a heck of a lot left to change.

That said, there is a certain amount of slop in the saginaw type boxes. About 1" of steering wheel travel back and forth or so. It'll never be as precise as rack and pinion of course but shouldn't feel super sloppy either.

Michael
        Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
        1986 Grand Wagoneer "Troubled Child" ? tc.wagoneer.org ? Facebook ? KØFSJ
        Stock 360, TBI, 727 with TransGo, NP208, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MT, WT Axles, Lock Right & ARB, OBA

Comment

Working...
        X