• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 440sixpack
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 21, 2016

New Brakes Work Terrible

I have all new brakes on my '78 J10 and they're awful. it's like you have a 10 tone gooseneck hooked to it when it's actually empty.

So I have turned drums and rotors , new pads and shoes, new slaves and calipers, new hoses, new MBM booster and master.

I've rechecked the rod lengths per MBM specs. re-bled the system. checked the vacuum source and performed the start up test on the booster and checked the check valve.

The ONLY think I haven't messed with is the combination valve. I just ordered a new master and I'm going to change it on the off chance it's defective. my next move is to swap the combination valve out with one off my parts rig. could this cause my problem ? any other ideas ? I'm about to take it to a pro and tell him I don't know WTF is going on.
  • airman
    232 I6
    • Jul 21, 2010

How did it stop before the brake job.

Andrew
    1969 J3000 Dauntless 350, T15, D20
    1970 CJ6 Dauntless 350 , T350, D20
    1951 CJ3A in the wings

Comment

• 440sixpack
      327 Rambler
      • Jul 21, 2016

I wish I knew . I hauled it home and did a full restoration.

Comment

• Kali
        304 AMC
        • Mar 29, 2005

Originally posted by 440sixpack
        I wish I knew . I hauled it home and did a full restoration.
        If you're going FULL restoration, maybe consider upgrading to hydroboost. BJs has the kit. Unless you want to keep it stock.
        1982 J-10 Pioneer

Check out my YouTube Channel !!
        Check out my Instagram !!

2018 Grand Cherokee Upland

"The J-series Jeep pickups are simultaneously the ugliest and the most beautiful trucks ever made."

Comment

• 440sixpack
          327 Rambler
          • Jul 21, 2016

Yes I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible. the vacuum booster should do a decent job if I can just find where the problem is in the system.

Comment

• ShagWagon
            350 Buick
            • Apr 10, 2016

Does your foot hit the floor or do you have pedal?
            87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by 440sixpack
              the vacuum booster should do a decent job if I can just find where the problem is in the system.
              Unless the pedal is rock hard, doubt it's the booster. The booster doesn't give you better, more powerful brakes. All it does is make the pedal easier to push.
              Seems not necessary on all vehicles but often the prop valve(combination) button depending on what type you have type-W, or type-D needs to be either held-in or held-outward when bleeding the front brakes. Is it possible on the rear drums you mixed up the leading and trailing shoes? Even if you botched the rears the front discs should still pull you down "somewhat fair".
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Ristow
                • Jan 20, 2006

are the shoes on correctly? primary shoe facing forward?

does the MC seem to have excessive stroke?
                Originally posted by Hankrod
                Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

what size tires?
                  rear drums adjusted correctly?
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• 440sixpack
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jul 21, 2016

Shoes are on correct, adjusted until they dragging pretty good.

This booster/master set came from MBM. I looked and now they don't list anything for full size Jeeps. I called their tech line and they said if I didn't have all the paperwork including the date of purchase they won't talk to me. I can't find it ,I bought this stuff over a year ago. so they're useless.

I'm wondering if I have a master with the wrong bore size. since nothing makes sense on this I'm going to put a new master I know is correct on as soon as it's out of the shop getting the new gears installed and see if that does it.

If that fails it almost has to be the combination valve or the booster. and I doubt it's the booster it passes all the normal tests.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

can you lock any of the tires up if you mash the pedal hard? Did you replace all the soft lines? Does it feel like the only the front or only the back are biting?
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Mikel
                        • Aug 09, 2000

Does it make a difference if the booster is connected to vacuum or not?
                        1969 M715 6x6
                        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Mikel
                          • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by joe
                          Unless the pedal is rock hard, doubt it's the booster. The booster doesn't give you better, more powerful brakes. All it does is make the pedal easier to push.
                          Seems not necessary on all vehicles but often the prop valve(combination) button depending on what type you have type-W, or type-D needs to be either held-in or held-outward when bleeding the front brakes. Is it possible on the rear drums you mixed up the leading and trailing shoes? Even if you botched the rears the front discs should still pull you down "somewhat fair".

Don't vehicles without power brakes often have master cylinders with a smaller bore to allow for lower braking efforts (at the expense of more stroke)?
                          1969 M715 6x6
                          1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• joe
                            • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Mikel
                            Don't vehicles without power brakes often have master cylinders with a smaller bore to allow for lower braking efforts (at the expense of more stroke)?
                            Mikel w/o some research I'm to lazy do do, you could be correct. I don't know the specific differences between std and PB masters but they are different.
                            joe
                            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• 77Deepj20
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 24, 2016

I've had a few bad out of the box master cylinders the last few years. You never did mention if the pedal was firm or sloppy ect.

Was the master bench bled before installation?

Unless the proportioning valve is clogged with rust or something it should work, never really had one go bad.

Is the pushrod between the booster and master in place and the correct length?
                              1977 j20. Dana 60's, 4:10's Chrysler 360/np435/NWF blackbox/np203
                              Hummer military 24 bolt wheels and 37" mt/r's.

Comment

Working...
                              X