• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maherpmj
    232 I6
    • Nov 08, 2015

A/C and heater fans not working, but fuse is good

As the title says...neither fan blows, but the fuse is good. Both fans blow when jumped to 12v battery source so it's not the fans. I tested the fuse box at the heater/ac terminal and it gets 12v on a multimeter which is strange. Even stranger is that the a/c fan and clutch works if I connect the A/C power wire to the 12v batt terminal on the fuse box. This is really confusing as it won't run if connected to the a/c terminal even though it's putting out 12v. I know there are resistors for each fan, but I thought they control fan speed and if bad then the fan will only blow high or not at all. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Current jeeps
    1977 J10 360 4bbl 4" lift w/33s
    1977 J20 401 4bbl 7" lift w/37s
    2003 Rubicon 4" lift w/33s
  • serehill
    Gone,Never Forgotten.
    • Nov 22, 2009

Well

Have you tried putting the voltmeter on the connection while the wires are all connected & the switch turned on to see if you have voltage then?

80 Cherokee
    360 ci 727 with
    Comp cams 270 h
    NP208
    Edlebrock performer intake
    Holley 4180
    Msd total multi spark.
    4" rusty's springs
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Maherpmj
      232 I6
      • Nov 08, 2015

Just tried it with the ac power lead connected and the voltage goes to zero. It returns to 12v when the wire is disconnected. Any thoughts? If it was shorting then wouldn't it be the same when connected to the batt terminal?
      Current jeeps

Comment

• JeepJeepster
        350 Buick
        • Sep 04, 2014

Prime example of a bad connection! Gives good volts but cant carry current.

Trace backwards from the fuse box till you find the bad connection. Maybe check where the two halves of the fuse panel go through the fire wall (Im assuming a 77 has that?).

Personally I ran a new 12awg wire from a new fuse box I installed on the passenger side fender well all the way to under the dash. By passed the two halve fuse block and installed a relay under the dash for the fans. Ignition turns on the relay and provides power to the fans and the emissions crap under the hood (fused with a 5 amp fuse). It may be made for it but I dont like having all those amps pass through the ignition switch.
        2004 Jeep Liberty
        1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
        1994 Jeep ZJ I6
        1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• serehill
          Gone,Never Forgotten.
          • Nov 22, 2009

yeah No relays on these models.

One variable I've seen is the rivet where the fuse clip ties on to the bus bar get's loose & will provide a residual voltage when there I no load & when check as you did under load it will disappear. A solution for this would ne a 30 amp circuit from the battery side of the starter solenoid to the fan circuits Via a relay controlled by the ignition switch. The ignition switch controls the relay & turns the blowers off Via the key the way it used to work. put a 30 amp circuit breaker on the wire out by the relay for protection of the circuit. A great way to solve this problem if that is what you find is the issue. I didn't just guess that's what it was. the symptoms are common. Removing the blowers from the fuseblock is good engineering.

80 Cherokee
          360 ci 727 with
          Comp cams 270 h
          NP208
          Holley 4180
          Msd total multi spark.
          4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Maherpmj
            232 I6
            • Nov 08, 2015

The relay is a great suggestion and was what I was planning if I couldn't figure out the fuse box issue. It likely just as easy for me to bypass the fuse box via the relay w/30 amp fuse than messing around with a 40 year old fuse box. Thanks
            Current jeeps

Comment

• serehill
              Gone,Never Forgotten.
              • Nov 22, 2009

Originally posted by Maherpmj
              The relay is a great suggestion and was what I was planning if I couldn't figure out the fuse box issue. It likely just as easy for me to bypass the fuse box via the relay w/30 amp fuse than messing around with a 40 year old fuse box. Thanks
              Best of luck PM me if I can help.

The relay will relieve the fuse block & let it relax. The circuit can fatigue from the heavy load.

80 Cherokee
              360 ci 727 with
              Comp cams 270 h
              NP208
              Holley 4180
              Msd total multi spark.
              4" rusty's springs

Comment

• darylb
                232 I6
                • Jan 22, 2015

Check your ground first. A loose ground will allow voltage at low current but open the circuit when a higher current is passed through. I think these are direct ground through the body, so check your ground from the battery to the body, the chassis ground doesn't always make it to the body due to rubber vibration mounts. I once saw an old Ford where someone had put rubber gaskets under all of the accessories thinking it would cut the noises and rattles. It also cut the ground circuit so the guy who owned the truck ended up pulling all of the accessories off to remove the gaskets.

Same is true of the positive lead, check for loose connections back to the fuse panel.

Is this just the blower fans or do you have any other electrical issues?
                1973 J4800 - 401- TH400 Novac Stage 2 - D20

Comment

• serehill
                  Gone,Never Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2009

Yeah but

If he connects the + wire up to the motor & they run negatives are fine.

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs

Comment

• Maherpmj
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 08, 2015

Agreed. If it didn't run, the ground would have been the next thing to look at, then the fans themselves. Still I appreciate the help. I'm thinking its something loose at or near the fuse box.
                    Current jeeps

Comment

• wookiee
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 24, 2015

For future searchers.

Check the $10 'Heater Mode Relay'. Located behind 4wd switch. About an inch x inch cube.

It's what switches the wiring when you select Heater or A/C.
                      1989 Grand Wagoneer | 100,000 miles | plow | beat

Comment

Working...
                      X