• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A-Haig
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 02, 2007

fuel injection

I would like to convert my wagon to fuel injection but all I can find is an edelbrock injection kit for $2500, I was curios if anyone has done the same or if there is a cheaper setup. Or if there is a good way to go about doing this.
    yay

Holley Pro-jection. Tough as hell to tune but definitely do-able. Cost half of what Edelbrock wants.
    Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
    I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
    Originally posted by johnny019
    I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• Sian09
      258 I6
      • Apr 09, 2006

Take a look at Howell TBI for the 360. Only about $1200.
      '78 J10 Stock for now. 360, 44's F&R, T18, D20, TFI, 5 Slots, 31" ATs, Copper like color.

Comment

• RAMBLINFSJ
        350 Buick
        • Oct 31, 2006

Holley Pro-jection through Summit (Part Number# HLY-502-20S) is listed at $825.95.
        1984 Wagoneer
        1977 Cherokee Chief (401)
        1982 J-20
        1965 AMC Rambler American 220

Comment

• grimgaunt
          350 Buick
          • Aug 06, 2002

the best off the shelf system for the money (including a custom chip) is from

At $950 for the setup it is based (like Howell) on the GM stock parts and takes about 2 hrs to install.

Buy a Throttle body off EBAY for $55, a ECU (727 or xxx747) for $25 and buy just the harness and chip from them ($320) and have a Complete setup (minus the fuel pump - another $50 from MacParts) for under $450
          Last edited by grimgaunt; 01-11-2007, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• A-Haig
            230 Tornado
            • Jan 02, 2007

Hey, thanks that will save me some cash. its great advice from all of you guys
            yay

Comment

• pb
              350 Buick
              • Aug 28, 2003

For what it's worth I thought AFI was a good deal, but with their chip, my Wagon could hardly move out of its way. I emailed the bin (program on the chip) to another member who tried it and he had the same results. They also sent me incorrect wiring instructions for their tach filter and a mispinned harness that caused my check engine light to flash constantly. Months of frustration with their so called customer service led me just to dump their bin, and rewire the harness to get it running.

I now burn my own chips and if you go the DIY route I can probably help you with the chip for about $300 less than the price for the AFI chip & harness listed above unless you wanted to pay me $320.
              Paul
              1975 Wagoneer DD
              360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• etjeep
                350 Buick
                • Oct 03, 2003

Originally posted by A-Haig
                I would like to convert my wagon to fuel injection but all I can find is an edelbrock injection kit for $2500, I was curios if anyone has done the same or if there is a cheaper setup. Or if there is a good way to go about doing this.
                There are a couple of ways to go about fuel injection. IMO, a lot depends on what you want to get out of it. If all you want to do is squirt some juice into your intake, a Chevy TBI setup will probly do the trick. As others have pointed out, you can run the gammit cost wise from junkyard scrounging a TBI to a Howell or AFI setup to a Holley projection setup to an Edelbrock Multiport EFI setup, there may be others. I have heard plenty of success doing the TBI conversion for wheeling. There is also which I think several on this board have done successfully. You can also swap in an entire motor with MPFI like Carl on this board is.

As a matter of fact, I am in the final stages of converting my 401 to an Edelbrock MPFI system. I am glad you brought this up and I would be interested in hearing from others have done this conversion on their AMC motor, just to compare notes. I have seen a fair amount of bashing the Edelbrock system on the internet, on the AMC list and other places (I think due to cost/jealousy, not actual experience). Its such an easy conversion, even a monkey could install it. Surprisingly, I have yet to see any info on building an Edelbrock MPFI setup for an AMC motor.

Here are a couple gratuitous pics? http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2054770730069564115UVcNic
                and
                http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556534678NsFUUS

I apologize, my albums are a bit disorderly right now.

I started my build back in Sept of ?05. a real mechanic would have been done already. LOL. I had to work in Texas for 14 months (it killed me not to be able to wrench on my Jeep) and did I mention I have a Jeep, so there are 16 other things I am trying to get done at the same time. If you cut out the part where I was inactive, I probably have about 2 months of part time, but I did a lot of other stuff too.

When I thought about doing this conversion a few years back, I considered Holley projection, Howell, AFI as well as a home brew/junk yard setup. Based on my estimates at the time, I figured I would end up having at least $1000 into the conversion if I had to buy everything (even used). After thinking about this for a while, I determined if I took the home-brew ( AFI also gave me the impression it was borderline homebrew. Not trying to discredit, its just my impression) approach I would not be able to recover my investment in my pile of FI parts if I had to sell out.
                I figured I could always sell a used Edelbrock system to one of the AMC muscle car guys if needed and recover a reasonable amount of my cost. I also don?t have a lot of time to scrounge the junk yards, so that influenced my decision as well.

Another thing to consider, is the other kits assume you will use your old intake, so IMO you will not really see any mileage or performance improvements since you are still using a wet runner, unless your engine was making some bad mileage and poor performance to begin with. I am expecting some mileage and power improvements on my 401 with the Edelbrock conversion. Most of the work is done, but in a few weeks I expect to fire it up and see how it does. Maybe the experts were right, maybe not?stay tuned.
                Later.....
                Eric

Comment

• A-Haig
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jan 02, 2007

Let me know how the edelbrock turns out, cause thats what ive more been leaning toward, all I really want is around 15mpg out of my truck with some nice performance. Sometime in the future I plan to do real rebuild and makeover on my 360 and add a supercharger.

P.S. etjeep your engine looks really good, I like it.
                  yay

Comment

• etjeep
                    350 Buick
                    • Oct 03, 2003

Originally posted by A-Haig
                    Let me know how the edelbrock turns out, cause thats what ive more been leaning toward, all I really want is around 15mpg out of my truck with some nice performance. Sometime in the future I plan to do real rebuild and makeover on my 360 and add a supercharger.

P.S. etjeep your engine looks really good, I like it.
                    If all you want is 15mpg, then maybe the TBI setup would be better and less cost. It sounds like you are in the process of doing your research before you chose a course....EFI, 360 makeover, supercharger......Guess what, these all have one thing in common....$$$
                    Later.....
                    Eric

Comment

• Bigwood91
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 30, 2005

I bought a kit from customefis last year. I believe he has raised his price to $1200 for Jeep TBI because he is making his own throttle body, and using all new parts. I just got my Jeep running again due to some other issues, so I haven't had a chance to really check mileage, but so far its been running great.
                      CJ
                      C.Johnson---1990 GW ISUZU 4BD1T/700R4/241C. Rolling on Chevy rallies & Cooper 32x11.5x15 AT3

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight..T. Roosevelt

Comment

• Wagoneerlover
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 18, 2004

I will be keeping an eye on this thread. However I already decided on the DIY route. That way I can learn the ins and outs of the system while also setting it up to run with my engine. PB, I will be sending out a PM soon. I will probably need to get some info and notes etc as I almost have all the parts I need to begin the conversion to TB injection.
                        88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
                        89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
                        2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
                        1. TBI
                        2. New fuel tank
                        3. AW-4 Transmission
                        4. Aluminum condensor
                        5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

• Cherokee-Kid
                          258 I6
                          • Feb 26, 2004

YEEESSSSS! etjeep
                          This is the first Edelbrock system I've seen installed in a FSJ. Please keep us posted on your results. Let us know how long it takes to dial it in and your impressions on performance.

If cost were no object (ya right huh?) and you didn't want to have to program/tune a new EFI system; I'd look at a Mass-Flow brand setup. It's not a speed/density MAP sensor setup, ie manifold pressure and calc charts, but rather a direct incoming air mass MAF sensor setup. Now that someone is running (hopefully running soon at least) an Edelbrock system, I wanna hear of someone running a Mass-Flow system in a Jeep (on an AMC motor). Well, when pigs fly maybe I'll hear it because $3,750 is an awfully large chunk of change. Really, I don't know why they want so much for it either as they claim it uses off-the-shelf parts (which like the GM based TBI stuff might be an advantage over the Edelbrock). I did happen to notice it did NOT come with a fuel pump though.

Well sorry to digress. Seems to come down to the old balancing act of time and money vs. desired and expected performance. At least there are some options to be had for EFI now.
                          '77 Cherokee S: 350 SBC, TH400, BW1339 Doug Nash PT, Performer intake, Carter AFB, & Mallory HEI. Needs: love
                          '78 Cherokee S: 401 AMC, TH400, BW1339 w/ MM PT, Carter AFB, & BJs 4" Lift & Skyjacker Nitros. Needs: $ thrown at her

Comment

• azwagoneer80
                            258 I6
                            • Nov 29, 2004

I just wanted to say how jealous I am, I've been researching different types of MPFI setups and I love the Edelbrock...just expensive. I can't wait to see the results!!
                            1980 Wagoneer 360 Tf727, NP219, TFI, exhaust, CS144 Alt, Taurus Fan.
                            1986 IROC-Z finally finished.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                              • Mar 20, 2005

Whenever someone asks, I always say Howell. $1200, EASY bolt in and it runs out of the box. No BINs to email back and forth and wait forever for.

When you call their phone #, you actually talk to someone who knows the system and can help you. I am very pleased with their customer service AND their product. I have it on both of my Jeeps.
                              Ethan Brady
                              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Working...
                              X