International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   Build Threads (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   The Lemoore Project (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=181410)

Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81 12-06-2016 12:26 PM

The Lemoore Project

Long story short, I will have to be putting my old Cherokee back into daily driver service. Before I sold my DD Dodge, parked the Jeep, and left for deployment the 360 had a bad lifter tick, was smoking from the left bank exhaust, and my oil pressure had dropped a little bit. My transfer case was also having issues with staying in gear, whining, and leaking like a sieve. So as I am preparing to come home from my 7 month deployment in the Arabian Gulf I am preemptively ordering parts and preparing for a slight refresh before I transfer from the great Pacific Northwest and drive down to Lemoore, CA for the next 3 years.
As for the engine the plan of attack will be to replace the cam/lifters, cam bearings, timing set, oil pump and swap on a set of '71 401 heads I've had laying around from Ristow. The transmission will get new fluid, filter, gaskets, and cooler lines while the transfer case will be treated to a full rebuild.
The rig is in decent shape otherwise. Other things that will be checked are all other fluids, brakes, suspension, and rear axle bearings.

My parts list so far includes:
-Melling MTA-1 camshaft kit (with lifters)
-Melling timing set
-Melling freeze plugs
-Melling oil pump gear set
-King camshaft bearing set
-Edelbrock "Sure Seat" valve springs
-Dorman harmonic balancer
-Fel-Pro gasket set and intake valley pan
-Novak Dana 20 rebuild kit

Pics and write-up are to follow when I get stateside in a couple weeks. I'll sure be busy!

Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81 12-29-2016 09:05 AM

Just got my '71 heads back from being pressure checked and they're both cracked through a water jacket pretty badly. So they're junk. Guess I have to add pistons, rings, and more machine work to my list. On a bright note, all my parts made it!

bkilby 01-01-2017 10:52 AM

Bummer about the heads. I have a set of heads off my 360 here in SoCal if you're interested. Btw, I had a Melling oil pump gear that was bad from the factory. Might want to check yours for flaws.

Ristow 01-01-2017 11:34 AM

yah,they crack on the corners. i told you that when i gave them to you y'know....

mattmopar440 01-02-2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristow
yah,they crack on the corners. i told you that when i gave them to you y'know....

yea the problem is that was 6 years ago LOL Jon cant remember what he did last week

mattmopar440 01-02-2017 06:04 PM

stop messing around with those little 360's and get a big boy engine jon :drivin:

Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81 01-03-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Yea, I kind of half expected it but was hoping for the best. No worries here.

Ristow 01-05-2017 08:05 PM

Some guys run them that way. CAn of stop leak for good measure. I'd go with pistons and big chamber heads.

Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81 01-05-2017 10:36 PM

Quote:

Some guys run them that way. Can of stop leak for good measure. I'd go with pistons and big chamber heads.

The machine shop said they leaked like sieves on the pressure tester. The cracks are actually pretty visible as they are, I can only imagine them getting larger when you torque them down. After just getting out from under a Cummins Dodge with a cracked block I'm not looking to mess with any more stop leak. I'm on the fence now on building a 360 with 343 pistons like SC/397 did or finding a virgin 401 to build. Being a die hard 360 guy and an even more die hard cheap-Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted! I'll probably go the 360/343 route. I just love beating up on the gung-ho 401 guys with 41 less cubes :p

Ristow 01-05-2017 11:38 PM

i wouldn't go looking for a 401. the 360's run nicer. shoot for 10-1 compression and go. pedestal heads would be nice in the big chamber. put 1.7 rockers on.

bkilby 01-06-2017 08:33 AM

Ristow, what's the factory rocker arm ratio? 1.6? I wouldn't mind running 1.7 on mine if I knew they'd work.

Ristow 01-06-2017 09:22 AM

yeah,1.6.

i ran 1.7 roller tips on my 401,with 9.5 pistons,and a performer grind. the extra lift lets more thru the valve,with little affect on duration. it ran nice.

Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81 01-06-2017 02:12 PM

Who makes 1.7 ratio pedestal mount rockers for AMC? Regular? Roller tip? Full roller? $$$$?

Ristow 01-06-2017 02:37 PM

they are the same as ford small block. so look for ford small block 1.7. i have a set of comp cam knock offs here. i wonder if that guy in florida has any more of the good steel ones like i had....

Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81 01-06-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

they are the same as ford small block. so look for ford small block 1.7. i have a set of comp cam knock offs here. i wonder if that guy in florida has any more of the good steel ones like i had....

And those will bolt to the late model heads without machining?

Ristow 01-06-2017 09:27 PM

no. they wont work on pedestal heads.

bkilby 01-07-2017 10:55 AM

Looks like Scorpion products are made in the USA and about half the price of Crane rocker arms.

http://www.scorpionracingproducts.co...ce-series.html

Ristow 01-07-2017 11:29 AM

oh wow,i didn't know they were making pedestal 1.7. those would be good.

Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81 01-07-2017 01:01 PM

Yup, those are the ones I was talking about. Same part number: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/scc-scp1104
Now, is the power increase over the stock ratio non-rollers worth the extra $300?

Ristow 01-07-2017 09:35 PM

i dunno. depends on the guy buying them i spose.. but they are more accurate,due to rigidity,and give a gain in lift,and the roller tip eliminates stem wear,so the valve seals last longer and seal better. go with machined guides for positive seals. i'd go for it for those reasons over the power increase.