• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 69project
    232 I6
    • Mar 18, 2016

Drive shaft trouble

My 69 wagon keeps throwing the driveshaft, I have the stock Dana 44 and Dana 20 in it. The wagon has the hell creek 4” lift. What u joints should I be running? What type of drive shaft should I be using? Could the yoke be damaged? Please include what setups you guys are running with similar rigs and lift
  • FMJBT
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 06, 2019

Throwing the driveshaft how? Sounds like you might need a longer driveshaft after the lift.

Comment

• 69project
      232 I6
      • Mar 18, 2016

It’s breaking loose from the rear Dana 44 during normal street driving. I had it made by some company in Utah to accommodate the lift. Don’t know what’s happening, what’s the proper way to measure for added length?

Comment

• FMJBT
        230 Tornado
        • Mar 06, 2019

Could be misaligned. Does it have a lot of vibration prior to breaking loose? The angle on the pinion should be more or less the same as the angle of the yoke coming out of the rear of the transfer case. If those angles are too far off it can cause a lot of vibration as the U joints on either end of the driveshaft spin out of phase with eachother.

Lots of good info here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tec...onangles.shtml

Comment

• 69project
          232 I6
          • Mar 18, 2016

Ok. Thanks

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
            360 AMC
            • Oct 02, 2002

Got your email Matt. We need more information. What exactly is happening with the rear u-joint? Obviously it is coming apart, does it leave the bearing cup or cups in the axle yoke? Do you have U-bolts or straps for the yoke? Is it breaking the cross section? Does the driveline lay flat on a floor with it removed and on a flat surface, meaning do the bearing cup ears lay equally flat on the floor or bench or is one end clocked off or up from the opposite end?
            When it comes apart and you get out, what do you see under there? In detail please.

The correct length when sitting with the rig on flat ground means the slip joint can be compressed and extended roughly the same amount when you take one end off and push and pull to extend and compress it. It should ride with room to move either direction, not extended with no extension to be had. Or compression for that matter.
            Melford1972 says...
            I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
            -----------------------
            I make wag parts
            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
            1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
            1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
            1968 M715 restomod
            2001 Dodge 3500
            2002 Toyota Tundra
            2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
            Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
            X