• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derf
    360 AMC
    • Jul 12, 2001

Holley Avenger TBI install thread

So I've got the major batch of parts in. I might as well start a thread.

It's going to take a couple of weeks before I start the install. I have to do some more prep work and wait for a couple of parts that I forgot to order (like a valley pan gasket)

But here's the first set of boxes.

Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.
  • derf
    360 AMC
    • Jul 12, 2001

I had to put something together...

Comment

• derf
      360 AMC
      • Jul 12, 2001

Obviously, the manifold is the Edelbrock 2131. Performer non-EGR.

The FI system is the Holley 550-400 unit. It's the 4bbl unit for 200-400 HP. Should be just right for a mostly stock engine and exhaust.

Comment

• Woodchomper
        350 Buick
        • Dec 17, 2002

Looks like a nice setup. Self-tuning and timing control sounds nice. Please keep us posted on your experience installing/using this product. I like it when people try new things. By the way, what distributor do you plan to run and do you plan to use the Holley computer for timing control?
        1991 GW 401 /727TF/NP229 /4" Skyjacker /EBL TBI /CS-144
        1981 J10 401 /727TF/NP208 /6" Superlift /CS-144

Comment

• derf
          360 AMC
          • Jul 12, 2001

Originally posted by Woodchomper
          Looks like a nice setup. Self-tuning and timing control sounds nice. Please keep us posted on your experience installing/using this product. I like it when people try new things. By the way, what distributor do you plan to run and do you plan to use the Holley computer for timing control?
          I'm going to experiment a little.

I have a spare distributor. I'm going to see if I can lock down the mechanical advance in it. I saw a post on another board years ago about using chain links to replace the centrifugal weights and removing the vacuum pot.

If that falls through, I'll fall back on an MSD distributor I have rather than saving it for a future project.

Regardless, I have an old dead motorcraft ignition box. I'm going to gut it and stick a GM HEI controller in it, reusing some of the stock wiring to keep a stock appearance to it. Then I'll rig up the Holley computer to control the timing.

Comment

• marcochezzi
            230 Tornado
            • Jan 04, 2007

Good luck, great system, I have just installed the exact system on my CJ-7 with 400 cube SBC. I went with the GM small cap HEI because I thought that it would round off the system best.

I must admit I am very very happy with the product, it works brilliantly and I am so happy to have got rid of the quadrajet and manifold I had on my motor.

One word of advice, the only problem I had was a very bad stumble on hard acceleration from idle which I could not sort out.

Turns out that the factory setting for the powerjet fuel enrichment was way off for my application, turned it way down to setting 5 on the handheld (lowest value) and the stumble has completely gone. Looks like I was pumping too much gas on hard acceleration.

What a simple system to fit and work, congrats to Holley!

Comment

• derf
              360 AMC
              • Jul 12, 2001

Good to know on the stumble. I'll keep it in mind when I'm dialing it in.

Comment

• derf
                360 AMC
                • Jul 12, 2001

I ran into the first hiccup. I had to improvise a PCV grommet.

The listed part numbers, both the OEM J4006019 and the NAPA 630-1411 aren't available. And I couldn't find any cross reference numbers.

Luckily, there was a thread about this before. I went to the parts store and looked in the HELP section for the Doorman 42056 and picked one up. It says it's for "Various GM Models" but it works fine on the Edelbrock manifold.

I shot a little WD-40 on it and used a screw driver to force it in place. It sits perfectly in the hole. I can tell you it's probably easier to put the grommet in place before you drop the manifold on to the engine.

I also found it a little strange that the studs Holley put in the kit weren't long enough to run the heat insulator gasket. I could fit it with just the paper gasket but the 1/4" thick heat insulator gasket pushed the throttle body up enough I needed to get another set of studs to get good thread engagement. But they're cheap to buy and in stock at most parts stores. I bought ones that ended up being way too long but everything fits.

Comment

• Niedhogg
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 09, 2012

Originally posted by derf
                  I ran into the first hiccup. I had to improvise a PCV grommet.

The listed part numbers, both the OEM J4006019 and the NAPA 630-1411 aren't available. And I couldn't find any cross reference numbers.

Luckily, there was a thread about this before. I went to the parts store and looked in the HELP section for the Doorman 42056 and picked one up. It says it's for "Various GM Models" but it works fine on the Edelbrock manifold.

I shot a little WD-40 on it and used a screw driver to force it in place. It sits perfectly in the hole. I can tell you it's probably easier to put the grommet in place before you drop the manifold on to the engine.
                  This grommet you speak of, is it for the hole in the back of the manifold??? Like for a PCV valve? I have been looking everywhere for a grommet to fit that hole! I have a Performer intake on my CJ, should be the same hole right? And did you put a PCV valve in yours? If so, do you have a part number on that as well?
                  1988 J20
                  360/727/NP208
                  33x12.50x15
                  Stock... so far

1979 CJ7 Renegade
                  304/TH400/Q-Trac
                  Edelbrock/TA470/HEI/Headers & Dual 2-1/2" Flowmasters Inside & Out the Back
                  4" Superlift/35x12.50x15

Comment

• derf
                    360 AMC
                    • Jul 12, 2001

Originally posted by Niedhogg
                    This grommet you speak of, is it for the hole in the back of the manifold??? Like for a PCV valve? I have been looking everywhere for a grommet to fit that hole! I have a Performer intake on my CJ, should be the same hole right? And did you put a PCV valve in yours? If so, do you have a part number on that as well?
                    Yes. That's the grommet I am talking about. Grab that part in the HELP section. The person at the counter should be able to get you the right valve.

Comment

Do you think you will need the 1/4' spacer gasket? You are eliminating the boiling fuel bowl. The fuel injectors are not going to heat soak.
                      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• derf
                        360 AMC
                        • Jul 12, 2001

Finally got started on the install. I flushed a bunch of crud out of the cooling system. Lots of silt. I'll have to spend some more time flushing it before I'm happy.

But on to the installation:

I got the manifold assembled and installed in the truck. It was nice to have an engine hoist to remove the original cast iron manifold. Lifting the heavy manifold and breaking the seal of the old gasket would have been a challenge.

I've been working on getting the ignition system set up so that I can do computer controlled timing. I'll be running an HEI ignition controller in a modified factory controller. I've also modified a distributor to lock out the mechanical advance.

I'll have more coming in the next couple of days.

Comment

• billyj7175
                          304 AMC
                          • Sep 10, 2001

Looks good!
                          83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
                          360/727/229
                          4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• ClassicFSJ
                            230 Tornado
                            • Jan 25, 2012

Looks great Roy, keep up the good work!
                            1990 GW-going retro.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                              • Mar 20, 2005

Make sure you put a heat sink on that ignition module!
                              Ethan Brady
                              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Working...
                              X