• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4x4fEvEr
    350 Buick
    • May 25, 2005

203/205 doubler ingredients

im gettin ready to buy all the pieces for my doubler and well i dont know what im lookin at

im gonna be runnin an NP435 so i want a 31 spline 203 right? and a married np205 right? both ford products? im only gonna use the front half of the 203 which is called the range box???? and this all goes together with a kit from (insert name of best kit here)
    77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's
  • scotty
    • Jun 12, 2000

get a 435(or t18) with a 205 attached. id avoid a t18 with a 208 if you want to go the doubler route,as the 208 will have a different stickout length for its input gear,and therefore possibly either a shorter tailsahft on the tranny,or a longer adapter.

i have been told that the ford 203 will have the same stickout for the input as the 205,and the same round NP pattern. im also told it doesnt matter if it comes from an auto or a manual,it will bolt on where the 205 was. this is just what ive been told,ive never laid my own eyes on a ford 203,so i cant really say for sure.

other than that,you have it figured out. youll disassemble and discard the chain section of the 203,and whomever you buy a kit from will either cut down and spline your shaft,or send you a shaft,and take yours as a core. as such,the range box will need disassembled to swap in an appropriately splined output shaft to slide into your ford 205.

the doubler adapter bolts onto the rangebox in place of the chain section,2nd t case bolts to the adapter. rig up the shifters, make some driveshafts and hit the trails

as for whose kit to use,i cant remember whose the guys were the most impressed with. imsure desertbeast or blt2krl will chime in on that one.
    scotty
    85 grand wagoneer
    258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
    38" TSL SXs
    chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• Bama Burden
      350 Buick
      • Jul 28, 2005

Northwest Fab was recommended to me because of the clocking ring. Although, I've heard there are shipping problems due to NWF being located in Cananda --- it takes a while to receive it

Comment

• blt2krl
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Apr 03, 2001

Originally posted by 4x4fEvEr
        im gettin ready to buy all the pieces for my doubler and well i dont know what im lookin at

im gonna be runnin an NP435 so i want a 31 spline 203 right? and a married np205 right? both ford products? im only gonna use the front half of the 203 which is called the range box???? and this all goes together with a kit from (insert name of best kit here)
        You will want what ever 203 bolts to your transmission. Not positive the options on this cause I bought a TH400/203 combo. You will need a Married 205 unless your going to go the route like Crazy jeep. I think your setup would be best off with a married setup for better length. I.E shorter setup. You are correct only the gear box of the 203 is used. As far as using only ford products that depends on what fron axle you have. You can use a ford or chevy 203 and then either a ford 205 or chevy 205. The adapter that goes from the 203 to 205 can be setup for either ford or chevy 205. I know I pimp the NWF guys and the reason is noone elses kit on the market is as easy and installer friendly. Not to mention the clockability gives you more options than the rest. I was one of the first to buy their kit. I slapped the whole thing together only to find out the guy who rebuilt my tranny screwed up one of the clutch packs. I tore the whole thing apart agian. I called and talked to kyle, he sent me an entire gasket over night at no charge. Granted it was not an exspenvie deal to begin with but it won me over as a return customer. I have never had a problem with shipping and these guys have always bent over backwards for me. Who ever you decide to go with the doulber setup will put a smile on your face the first time your in double low.
        Paul Hartman
        79 waggoneer
        AMC360/TH-400/203/205
        DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
        39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
        www.cbioffroadfab.com
        WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• Elliott
          Cowboy Up
          • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by 4x4fEvEr

Ford 203's are hard to come by, you just missed one on e-bay btw...
          You don't actually have to use the Ford 203, if you can get the gear (NW Fab... or scrounging) you can redrill the front of an easy to find (and often cheap to free) GM 203. I have a drill template I can loan you when I get it back from another member

Your Ford NP435 will adapt to your AMC with a new input bushing for your flywheel, a ford clutch plate and a T176 bell (for the easiest adaptation). I bought a NW Fab adapter with the Ford 31 spline 203 gear as my GM 205 had the long 32 spline input that needed swapping out for a short input and the Ford 31 spline is real common and easy to scrounge up.
          My range box is done and I just stuffed the gear in the gear in the 205 yesterday.
          *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
          ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Elliott
            Cowboy Up
            • Jun 22, 2002

Here's a Ford unit with 5 hrs to go on E-bay right now:

*** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• mud_slinga
              230 Tornado
              • Nov 18, 2006

I'm probably not lucky enough for some one to have come out with a kit that uses the 208 for a range box yet am I? Looking at some options for the J20 but I was planning on keeping my T18(a??) nice low first gear, I like it
              ZJ - DD for now
              YJ - first play toy and ongoing project...
              J20 - stock for now..gathering parts to fit 40" bog.... scratch that Im gonna run 47" Ltbs now

Comment

Originally posted by mud_slinga
                I'm probably not lucky enough for some one to have come out with a kit that uses the 208 for a range box yet am I? Looking at some options for the J20 but I was planning on keeping my T18(a??) nice low first gear, I like it
                The NP435 is lower yet...and a bit more versitile box. PTOs on both sides if I recall.

aa
                1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Elliott
                  Cowboy Up
                  • Jun 22, 2002

Cecil is right, the Ford NP435 is 6.68:1. If you have the '80+ T18 that fits the NP208 then you have a 31 spline output and round pattern that should bolt directly to a Ford 203 range box. You should be ready to rock mud_slinga!

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                    350 Buick
                    • May 25, 2005

Originally posted by blt2krl
                    You will want what ever 203 bolts to your transmission.
                    im guessin for mine i need the ford 31 spline 203 which i have a lead on.

As far as using only ford products that depends on what fron axle you have.
                    well thats a toss up. i could go either way. i was planning on running a ford front axle, but the 205 for drivers drop is really going to have me cutting out some body material from underneath to squeeze it in plus rerouting my exhaust which i just had done, but i will have a highpinion 60 that way.

if i go with a chevy 205 ill have no issues except ill still be running a low pinion front axle. just a matter of if the HP will make the difference for the extra work.

You can use a ford or chevy 203 and then either a ford 205 or chevy 205. The adapter that goes from the 203 to 205 can be setup for either ford or chevy 205.
                    thats good news right there.

High pinion 60 with more labor and cost or low pinion 60 that will go in very very easily?

Comment

• mud_slinga
                      230 Tornado
                      • Nov 18, 2006

Originally posted by Elliott
                      Cecil is right, the Ford NP435 is 6.68:1. If you have the '80+ T18 that fits the NP208 then you have a 31 spline output and round pattern that should bolt directly to a Ford 203 range box. You should be ready to rock mud_slinga!

Thats what I like to hear thanks for the info, I did not compare the 2 trannies but I knew the 435 Had a super low gear as well but the T-18 is already in the truck 203-205 and 5.38s in the axles (I like low gears lol) although if I can get my hands on some rockwells Id rather run those instead of 60's on the J-truck... okay im done hi-jackin his thread
                      ZJ - DD for now
                      YJ - first play toy and ongoing project...
                      J20 - stock for now..gathering parts to fit 40" bog.... scratch that Im gonna run 47" Ltbs now

Comment

• JeepNOFEAR
                        350 Buick
                        • Nov 09, 2004

Not sure if this is a good deal or not.

tennesseeoffroad.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tennesseeoffroad.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                        76 Cherokee Camo(Parts)
                        76 Cherokee Camo 401/TH400/Dana300/HD44/14bolt/36s
                        77 Cherokee blue 360/T18/D20/33s
                        1969 AMC Javelin SST 390
                        1968 AMC Javelin SST 290 (Parts)

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                          350 Buick
                          • May 25, 2005

i dunno . anybody else know if thats reasonable?

Comment

• Elliott
                            Cowboy Up
                            • Jun 22, 2002

Depends on the set up and if it's triple sticked or not. Some early doublers were ground down 203 tailshafts w/hollow core and the better ones are billet. For all I can tell, this one may be a Toyota doubler 'cause he gives just about no info....

Comment

• jeepzilla47
                              350 Buick
                              • Jun 14, 2003

my vote is for NWF.......very nice kit, easy install, lots of adjustment......plus, they made it easy to use my ford 205 without changing inputs...
                              Mike Hildreth...aka Tubby
                              "From nothing we have risen, and from nothing, we still rise!!" (Hatebreed)

84 GW in progress
                              fuel injected 454/th400/203/205/hpd60/ff14b 4.88/welded/4wdb/dbl/39.5 iroks/gm springs/rb shackle flip/ hydraulic assist

Comment

Working...
                              X