PDA

View Full Version : Best flowing AMC heads

grand_wag_85
10-29-2008, 11:43 PM
I know there isn't a whole lot out there aftermarket wise for AMC, Edelbrock being the only one I can think of. Looking for some good heads for the 401 we're building for the AMX, I've been told to get a set of dog leg port heads and with a good port and pollish they'll out do the Edelbrocks, don't sound right tho. I've got a boatload of info from Elliot, anyone else?

mdill
10-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Pretty simple, all AMC V8 360/401 heads were ~ the same after ~72(ish) all were dog leg, and had 58(?) cc cambers. Some of the heads in the 72 ish time frame did have dog leg ports and rocker studs that made using roller rockers easier, and in that time fame there were 55(??) cc camber heads also, I don't remember the combo's that were made or pre 72 exact years, as they are to hard to find, for not much if any up side.
Personally if you are going iron heads, then take the best set you you can find condition wise clean them up and run them. (Port, polish ...)

I think the only other heads avalible are the Edelbrock and the Indy heads, lots of $'s for not much bang in the low RPM Jeep engine.

Mike D.

grand_wag_85
10-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks Mike. Where would one find the Indy Heads for sale? For whatever reason I've always wanted to build a 500+HP AMC smallblock, and now that my brother has an AMX I can do it and have him pay for everything:thumbsup:

mattmopar440
10-30-2008, 12:32 AM
wanted to build a 500+HP AMC smallblock,
Don't we ALL:D
500HP shootin kinda high

small block ????? there just one AMC V8 block

grand_wag_85
10-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Don't we ALL:D
500HP shootin kinda high

small block ????? there just one AMC V8 block

It sure ain't no big block tho:p

Matt-How well does that fresh 401 move your Wag? My 76 will get up and go when it wants to but it's got 97K on the clock...

mdill
10-30-2008, 12:39 AM
MC at Bultear, might have an in with them, you would have to ask, otherwise pay full list from Indy, how deep are his pockets? (the budget 407" is 500hp and only $12,300, of save some $'s and put it together your self and save a grand)

Go the full monte $25K :eek:

Part # 401-C6-370-360 Pump Gas
4.140” Bore 3.438” Stroke

Fully Prepped Stock AMC 360 Block Indy 401-S/R Heads (2.10X1.65 60cc) Indy 401-2 Intake,

Less Core

AMC Cast 360 Crank (3.438” stroke) Bowl Port & Gasket Match Heads Milodon Oil Pan & Pickup

We use your Crank & Block

Reconditioned AMC Rods Comp Hyd. Cam & Lifters 650 Mighty Demon Carb

Dyno Tested & Tuned

Seal Power Pistons 9.5 to 1 Indy Sheet Metal Valve Covers MSD Distributor and Plug Wires............. .................................................. .......................

370” AMC Street Master Kit Includes: Machined Block, Balanced Rotating, Head Assem, Port Work On Heads, All Parts To Build Engine

(LESS CORE) .....................7,495.00

Part # 401-C6-407-500 Pump Gas
4.195” Bore 3.680” Stroke

Fully Prepped Stock AMC 401 Block Indy 401-S/R Heads (2.10X1.65, 60cc) Indy 401-2 Intake ATI Balancer AMC

Steel 401 Crank (3.680”X2.100”) Super Modified Port & Polish Heads Milodon Oil Pan & Pickup

Less Core

Eagle H-Beam Rods (6.200”X2.100”) Comp Cam Solid Cam (AMS-1) 750 Mighty Demon Carb

We use your Crank & Block

Wiseco 10.75 to 1 Pistons (.927 pins) Indy Sheet Metal Valve Covers MSD Distributor and Plug Wires

Dyno Tested & Tuned..................................12,300.00

Upgrade to IC-401 Indy AMC Aluminum Block Add .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................................4,295.00
407” AMC Street Master Kit Includes: Machined Block, Balanced Rotating, Head Assem, Port Work On Heads, All Parts Needed To Build Engine.

(LESS CORE)......11,300.00

Part # 401-C6-500-840 Race Gas

4.375” Bore 4.150” Stroke

Fully Prepped IC-401 Alum. Block Indy 401-1 CNC 300 Heads Indy 401-3X Intake FP&P ATI Balancer

Moldex Billet 4340 Crank (4.150”) (2.250X1.81 55cc) Indy Car Pan Oiling System Indy Timing Cover

Eagle H-Beam Rods (6.200”X2.100”) Comp Roller Cam & Lifters (Custom) 1095 King Demon Carb Billet Oil Pump

Wiseco 14.00 to 1 Pistons (.927 pins) Indy Sheet Metal Valve Covers MSD Distributor and Plug Wires
Dyno Tested & Tuned..................................24,880.00

500” - 512" AMC Bracket

Here the link to their catalog, don't expect stuff to all be plug and play their stuff is for racing, and not for bolting 100% to stock AMC/Jeep accessories, intakes, motor mounts ...(for a aluminum block)

http://www.indyheads.com/catalog.html

Have fun spending his money :D

Mike D.

mattmopar440
10-30-2008, 12:42 AM
It sure ain't no big block tho:p

Matt-How well does that fresh 401 move your Wag? My 76 will get up and go when it wants to but it's got 97K on the clock...

Moves like A BAT OUT THE GATES OF HELL :D
my buddie bought a F250 with the V-10 and it a dead match till 95 then his governor kicks in and the wag flys away

jeepsr4ever
10-30-2008, 07:49 AM
The deal with head flow is that you build for the aspiration needs of the engine. Say you want a certain bore and stroke and RPM range and you can port the head for those numbers. It takes alot to beat Edelbrock heads using iron AMC heads. You have to beat the 260CFM @600 lift to do it so you can be talking about some epoxy and shims...lots have done it but for the money and time its simply easier and cheaper to go with the Edelbrocks. We hit 306CFM @.600 lift with Edelbrock heads CNC porting them and the number could go higher but most dont need that number any higher. All being relative the stock 240 ish flow number at 600 lift is pretty good for 500hp with simple valve work. The easiest head to work with is a 3196090 which is a thicker casting but also comes with the single rockers. One of the worst heads to port is the 3196291 head....talk about breaking into the water jackets:eek:

Elliott
10-30-2008, 09:48 AM
An advantage of the aluminum is that it doesn't hold heat as well as the iron heads which allows you to run your compression about a point higher prior to detonation with the same fuel.

What I said about iron dogleg heads out flowing most aftermarket heads was meant as a comparison to most other makes aftermarket heads, such as F@rd, etc. ;)

grand_wag_85
10-30-2008, 10:32 AM
An advantage of the aluminum is that it doesn't hold heat as well as the iron heads which allows you to run your compression about a point higher prior to detonation with the same fuel.

What I said about iron dogleg heads out flowing most aftermarket heads was meant as a comparison to most other makes aftermarket heads, such as F@rd, etc. ;)

Gotcha:cool:

djongeward
10-30-2008, 12:48 PM
On a jeep, cast iron is just fine. Well, unless you want to be on Pinks or something. Even then. We just built a drag boat with a very nasty built Ford, all iron, runs on pump gas. We have fully blown, race gas, nitrous injected, all aluminum rigs that can't touch it. I mean it's just a squatty hunk of iron. But its built through Picks Racing and it has no upper RPM range, meaning, it will turn as fast as you can make it. It's all about the build and builder. The more miticulus you can get, the faster you can get.

If you've noticed, the AMC castings are messy. Clean all that up and match the intake and exhaust. Get someone who knows something to build the heads. Match the springs to the cam. Use an upper end cam appropriate for your use. Look into roller applications. Bulltear and American Racing are places to check out. You can go really crazy in a basic way with the AMC. And they are big blocks because they're certainly no small block.

snoopy
10-31-2008, 02:24 AM
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/engine/154_0412_amc_v_8_engine/index.html This is an older build that Hot Rod magazine did. I suspect that there are more options available now.

djongeward
10-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Snoopy - really good link on that article. Bravo senior :thumbsup:

Just pulled apart a 390 today with #4 son. This is a stock engine thrown into an old F-250 (one of the farm trucks) and souped up a bit for fun. He blew the head gasket when he blew up the old radiator. I was amazed how clean the castings were, how elegant they were finished off, very fine attention to detail. This is the first Ford engine I've touched after my AMC build up. What an apparent difference. Everything matched up, intake to heads, heads to stock manifolds. I think anybody with an AMC would be far ahead of anyone else if they just cleaned up those nasty castings. I use a dremel (the kind with the whip) and spent a day or two going over them. I wouldn't call it porting but more cleaning and polishing. I know mine flow better than stock. I mean, have you stuck your fingers in there, your lucky to get em out without being cut. Slag just sticking out all over. What is it about AMC when it comes to casting detail?

My machinist dude mentioned this to me when I brought in my heads. "Hey, you cleaned those up really nice, everything matches." When I asked him about AMC castings (I was new to Jeep/AMC engines), he said there all like that and that AMC just seemed to pay attention to where it counted. He also said, "they're just like Chevy's but worse."

Murphy
10-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Our AMC v8's are "M" blocks. M for medium (I think). In between a small block and a big block.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it probably stands for "Mid-block". Something like that.

AMX factor
11-01-2008, 02:13 PM
If you want serious flow, Indy Cylinder heads are the way to go. Their street head with their CNC porting is about $4k for a pair. Huge valves, tech support is excellent and give them your cam specs and they'll install the correct springs. They do have a head even better than the Street version but it uses Mopar exhaust flanges instead of AMC and is really built for their alum AMC blocks.