PDA

View Full Version : Rear window won't go down, can't tailgate

Fish8
05-29-2008, 08:38 PM
New member and new owner of a 1990 Grand Wagoneer - with a few minor issues. the rear window won't go down so I can't open the tailgate. I just got this truck - like it - but am a greenhorn. resistor deterioration? something else? also fuel gauge is stuck on FULL, and leaky transmission fluid - how can i check and fix myself. Easy to replacefix these myself?
Thanks,
Fish8

andy d
05-29-2008, 09:03 PM
the rear key switch is prolly shot. The front switch is in series with it so if it is bad, the front wont work either. Try this, it worked for me for a while. Whilst turning the key, pound on the TG beside the key. Replacing the rear switch is a PITA, I just took it out of the circuit.
The fuel gauge is fairly simple to fix. Under the rear seat is an inspection plate. Remove it, you will see the sending unit. The ground wire prolly needs to be re-atteched to the SU. I crimped a ring eye onto the wire and used a self tapping screw to re-attach it to the SU.

shimniok
05-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Could be the safety switch. It's on the driver side of the tailgate. Can help to press against that side while trying to move window.

Or, you can pull the tailgate carpet and access panel, reach up in for the connector -- two brown wires -- and splice 'em together and try again. You'll want to zip tie it out of the way.

If it is a switch problem you might be able to get the panel off and find a way to jumper the motor with a cordless drill battery. So I have heard. :)

Michael

men in black
05-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Heres the schematics for a 1990 GW all 55 pages
go to page 41 for the rear window.

http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring-1990.html

check the tech section for write ups on this problem.

66 K-Wag
05-29-2008, 11:25 PM
I tore apart my tailgate last weekend. Now Betty is probably one of maybe a couple dozen '60's Wags with a functional electric rear window in the world.

Here is a link to an article Michael Baxter wrote years ago. It's the absolute bible of tailgate window repair:

http://wagoneers.com/FSJ/tech/tailgate-REPAIR.html

Good luck, and watch your fingers...

EDIT: Keep in mind that BJ's Off-Road has most of the parts you may need:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/

Pitbull-Lady
05-30-2008, 02:03 PM
New member and new owner of a 1990 Grand Wagoneer - with a few minor issues. the rear window won't go down so I can't open the tailgate. I just got this truck - like it - but am a greenhorn. resistor deterioration? something else? also fuel gauge is stuck on FULL, and leaky transmission fluid - how can i check and fix myself. Easy to replacefix these myself?
Thanks,
Fish8

Funny, we had the same problem with our 89:

WINDOW :
had to shut it better, WD40 the heck out of the hinges and i finally shut all the way after jamming it closed.

FUEL on FULL : Once we replaced the fuel sending unit, it fixed itself

TRANNY FLUID : sorry no idea on this one. :(

flatbackdragon
05-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Could be the safety switch. It's on the driver side of the tailgate. Can help to press against that side while trying to move window.

OR you can fish in a coathanger wire and pull back on the 'so-called' hockey stick that activates the switch on the tailgate. Look inside the crack on upper left side where the gate latches, you should be able to see the 'hockey stick' I am talking about, it may take two people to do this in order to hold the wire and turn the gate switch or switch up front.
If and when you find out if this is the proplem, when gate is open you can take the switch out and connect the wires together and get rid of the switch, just beware that you then can raise the window while the gate is open which the switch prevents.