PDA

View Full Version : JEEP M715 AXLES

JERSEY JOE
03-24-2008, 01:50 PM
THERE IS A GUY IN MY LOCAL JEEP CLUB SELLING A SET OF AXLES FOR A M715. ANYONE??? GOING CHEEEEEEPPPPPPPP.

FSJ Guy
03-24-2008, 04:17 PM
There's a GOOD reason they're cheap. They suck for anything BUT a restoration on an M715 series truck. Odd bolt pattern and not much stronger (torque-wise) than a D44 due to the axle shaft diameter.

Mikel
03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
not much stronger (torque-wise) than a D44 due to the axle shaft diameter.

The rear D70, even with its neck-down 23 spline shafts is quite a bit beefier than a D44.

JERSEY JOE
03-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I know they have a wierd spline count. I just thought there might be someone here restoing an M715. Sorry to bother anyone

Blue & Gray
03-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Good on you for passing on the news. I have learned that you never know who reads what and who needs what. I have gotten some good stuff that way. There is a site for M715's the M715 zone or something like that. Your buddy would probably do good to list them on there. I think the 715's were always 4 wheel drums and not alot of folks are keen to swap that in anything. Also ALLCAPS post set some folks off a little.

JERSEY JOE
03-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Sorry for the post. some guys know that I have extremely poor vision and sometimes posting in caps makes it easier for me to read . I don't always have my glasses handy and the caps just make it a bit easier.

sorry for the misunderstanding people. I am not shouting at anyone

AlsChopShop
03-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Sorry for the post. some guys know that I have extremely poor vision and sometimes posting in caps makes it easier for me to read . I don't always have my glasses handy and the caps just make it a bit easier.

sorry for the misunderstanding people. I am not shouting at anyonejoe, you must get along with gary just fine!! :D

in your web browser you can click the view menu at the top, click text size and select it larger so you can see everything better. :thumbsup:

Al

FSJ Guy
03-25-2008, 09:19 AM
The rear D70, even with its neck-down 23 spline shafts is quite a bit beefier than a D44.

True. I was thinking of the front end.

No worries on posting them FS. I just didn't want YOU to get all excited over them and then be disappointed when you found the oddball bolt pattern and drum brakes on all four corners!

JERSEY JOE
03-25-2008, 10:00 PM
No I had no interest in them I was just trying to get it out there in case someone was restoing one of these. I know the front axle is the old closed knuckle design and wierd spline. Not my cup of tea. The guy was selling them really cheap, like $50.00

poolmike
03-26-2008, 07:44 AM
I gave mine away....and I had a hard time doing that.

KaiserMan
03-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Frak, I'd pay $50 for them all day long!

AKAMC
05-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Is there any way to up grade these with out swaping to new axles? Just wondering if axles shafts and outers from something else would bolt on to get larger shafts and an 8 lug ford / chevy bolt pattern? I just picked up a 67 M715 today so I'm still learning...

robert cowan
07-14-2008, 11:08 PM
THERE GREAT AXLES and can be converted to 35 splines with little effort. i use em in all my off road buggys and in most of my m715,s (10 ) also watch alt of those guys on that zone site. there cry babys and have a real hard time keeping quality members that have good building experience. they get jealous very easy and want you to give them everything for free. just my sperience with em. very clickey most of em. there leader calls himself the GRAND POOBAH !!!!!!!!

Mikel
07-15-2008, 09:22 PM
THERE GREAT AXLES and can be converted to 35 splines with little effort. i use em in all my off road buggys and in most of my m715,s (10 ) also watch alt of those guys on that zone site. there cry babys and have a real hard time keeping quality members that have good building experience. they get jealous very easy and want you to give them everything for free. just my sperience with em. very clickey most of em. there leader calls himself the GRAND POOBAH !!!!!!!!

Thank you for your opinion on the M715zone. Perhaps you should create your own M715 site.

robert cowan
07-15-2008, 09:27 PM
YOUR WELCOME its a shared view by alot of people i,ve talked to.

janie
07-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Time to chill gentlemen and stick to the topic at hand. Axles.

Chumley360
07-16-2008, 03:19 PM
My opinion probably counts for crap on this but I'm gonna throw it in anyway.

OK so I think that these are fine axles to a point. They're strong enough to do most anything that you'd want to do with them. I know several people that drove these trucks while in the Army and all they can do is talk about how well they hold up to abuse. They do have some down sides though, like the odd bolt pattern, drum brakes, and they are closed knuckle. There are ways to correct some of these, but they're not as simple as on other axles. Considering that these axles seem to hold up while being wheeled with 350+ ft/lb motors with tires 36" and larger I'd say that they can handle torque fine. Would I run out and buy a set to throw under a more convetional rig? Probably not, I like to keep some things simple.

I read this discussion a lot on various sites and I think it's kinda like the old Toyota Birfield arguments, it's dumb. Nothing is "bullet proof" or "indestructable" so you need to know what your end goal is and build around it. If they'll work for your build use them, if not get something else.