PDA

View Full Version : First Annual Las Cruces FSJ Invasion, October 18-19 2008

Pages : [1] 2

Michael
02-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Well since this has become such interest here, http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=82152 I am throwing out some dates in September early October for Las Cruces, NM. This is a very casual event bring what you have and we can split off based on rig level and do some wheelin', and talking fsj's, it will be a great time. All this can change but I think we should base this around a weekend. If someone could post up good camping in that area that will handle trailers and such and a large group. We will consider this thread our sign up sheet/idea sheet since this will be our first we will just have to wing it.:D

We do need a good name for this event...lets throw some out so possibly this can become an anual deal. I will change the title once we come up with a good one.

I picked those dates based on my work schedule, if we need to change them to work out everyones schedule I can work around it.....it is no big deal.

Date picked: October 18-19 first Annual Las Cruces Invasion

Slick Willie
02-14-2008, 11:26 AM
I like it a little warmer than cooler. Either way though.

2008 Las Cruces GTG? (get together)

SteelPonyCowboy
02-14-2008, 01:06 PM
How about Cruisin' to Las Cruces or something like that ? I like the idea of that area and less than a full days drive from Phoenix

Rednex4x4s
02-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey Michael I even like this Idea I think I could make it for early OCT. Ive been talking to my brother about Ouray but I would like to do this instead.I really like the Telluride and Ouray area but this would intise me more.I will throw in my vote for early Oct.

Tad
02-14-2008, 03:18 PM
The Oct dates work better for me than the Sept one so I went with the 18-19th. Actually the weekend prior to that is perfect but I can probably make almost anything work with enough notice.

Slick Willie
02-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Cruisin' does sound like what a FSJ does...I kinda like it.

Las Cruces means "the crossroads". Here we go...

Crucero Las Cruces (cruise the crossroads)
Cruisin' Las Cruces (cruisin' the crossroads)

Sambo
02-14-2008, 05:07 PM
actually it stands for crosses...there are 3 crosses south of mesilla valley that peaople trek to! hince Las Cruces

and sept/oct is fine as well:thumbsup:

we can camp if everyone wants at the airdown area(trailheads) and there is gobs of space for trailers...which is all on blm land so its free!
so good??? and gas/convenience store within 2-3 miles...most part of town is 8-10 miles south!
they have lots of hotels for those who care to not rough it! in the area of $65-100 a night! mesilla inn best western is about as decent as one would need and reasonably priced....

please feel free to ask any questions!!! i will try and answer them as best i can

misfittom138
02-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I like mid october best. A good solid paycheck away from rent time! :thumbsup:

Michael
02-14-2008, 05:38 PM
actually it stands for crosses...there are 3 crosses south of mesilla valley that peaople trek to! hince Las Cruces

and sept/oct is fine as well:thumbsup:

we can camp if everyone wants at the airdown area(trailheads) and there is gobs of space for trailers...which is all on blm land so its free!
so good??? and gas/convenience store within 2-3 miles...most part of town is 8-10 miles south!
they have lots of hotels for those who care to not rough it! in the area of $65-100 a night! mesilla inn best western is about as decent as one would need and reasonably priced....

please feel free to ask any questions!!! i will try and answer them as best i can

Sambo, that is good I will email you.....since we will need your help to head this off. You are the most schooled in that area:D

Sounds as if it is looking like mid October....we will let it run for a bit to see what sounds good for everyone. Again if any of those dates do not work out shoot some out, I may have started this but that does not mean a thing...it is about all of us getting together and having a good time.:drivin:

jaber
02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
I will DEFINATLY be watching this. I voted for early oct, but Tom makes a good point about rent. 487 miles from me so this will be a good run for the Jeep. I will be doing my best to save enough, I NEED to get to one of these..... So many names and personalities and no faces to the names.

bigun
02-14-2008, 08:35 PM
It is around 125 miles south of Mountainair so any date is fine even if I am still working here in Co.! Shoot I may even talk mom into going!!

Schlagger
02-14-2008, 08:37 PM
If its not in September I should be able to make it. Havent been to an FSJ event yet but looking forward to it. I'm nearby and willing to help with setup.

Tad
02-14-2008, 09:06 PM
actually it stands for crosses...there are 3 crosses south of mesilla valley that peaople trek to! hince Las Cruces Yup.
Goes back to sometime around 1830 and Apache attack/killing of about 30+ people.

jepj2000
02-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I didn't vote because I won't know what my schedule will be because of school which is fine because I'm only about 350 miles away.

I too am excited to meet more members, this will be a great time.

Rankin

Guadzilla
02-15-2008, 12:05 AM
A few years ago I tagged along with Sam on an October run In Cruces a few years ago, and it was great :thumbsup: The group was small (about 15 rigs), but almost everyone broke, scratched, or dented something:sawzall: It's amazing what you can put together with duct tape and bailing wire :D

The locals were great hosts and I'm sure they would help us get it put together if we asked....They don't need much of an excuse to go wheelin':fsj:

Slick Willie
02-15-2008, 07:16 AM

Stupid spanish to english online dictionaries. :banghead:

It's only ~782 miles for me and ~648 for Michael. I've been to Moab from Austin twice, and that was ~1228 miles. Needless to say, drive or not, I'm excited! I'll spool that diesel up and truck it down the road with two chop top Waggies in tow! :drivin:

FireSnake
02-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Good day, fellow trail punishers!

I heard that it is proposed that my community will be decended upon by you, (to my pleasant surprise) from a pal of mine up in Oregon.

If there's anything i can do to help you out, please let me know. I might suggest that the earlier (in the year) you arrive, the warmer it will be....about mid October is when we break out with the long pants and jackets.

No Jeep, just a Blazer:drivin:.

Welcome!!!

Ugly Truck Nut
02-15-2008, 01:57 PM
This sounds like fun. I didn't pick a date, anytime is fine with me. Las Cruces is only about 30 min. away, so take your pick.

Sambo
02-15-2008, 02:30 PM
excited! I'll spool that diesel up and truck it down the road with two chop top Waggies in tow! :drivin: GIT-R-DUN:thumbsup:
my 2 buddys and i are planning on being there definately which ever date we choose,only 2.5 hrs from my front door:o
we'll be building a wag choptop asap for my buddy angel,and mike h. aka Guadzilla is about to wrap his project up soon! wait till you guys get a load of his creation:eek:

jepj2000
02-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Needless to say, drive or not, I'm excited! I'll spool that diesel up and truck it down the road with two chop top Waggies in tow! :drivin:

LUCKY:thumbsup:

Rankin

Michael
02-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Stupid spanish to english online dictionaries. :banghead:

It's only ~782 miles for me and ~648 for Michael. I've been to Moab from Austin twice, and that was ~1228 miles. Needless to say, drive or not, I'm excited! I'll spool that diesel up and truck it down the road with two chop top Waggies in tow! :drivin:

I might have to show you what a Cummins will do....LOL

Michael
02-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Okay I know it has been only a couple of days....but I see a trend on the dates so here it is.

October 18-19 first Annual Las Cruces Invasion 2008

I hope this date works for everyone. As it gets closer we can make more solid plans.

SteelPonyCowboy
02-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Okay I know it has been only a couple of days....but I see a trend on the dates so here it is.

October 18-19 first Annual Las Cruces Invasion

I hope this date works for everyone. As it gets closer we can make more solid plans.

DANG ! I am already commited that weekend to 3 days in Canyon De Chelly with JeepExpeditions :( and all of our FSJs are already signed up with deposits paid for the Navajo Guides and camping.

Oh well..........next time

Mike
www.jeepexpeditions.org

Michael
02-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Man I wish you had mentiononed that earlier on when you replied......it would have been good info. Oh well looks like you will be having some fun yourself....wish we had a way to do that here. Looks like a good time.

Tad
02-16-2008, 07:17 AM
October 18-19 first Annual Las Cruces Invasion 2008
Very Cool.
I'll pull the 17th and 20th as PTO.
Thanks

fulsizjeep
02-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Cool. Got dibs on a flat spot to crash at your place Tad. :thumbsup: Guess I better get a locker in Krista's trail Waggy this year too. ;)

misfittom138
02-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Right on! :thumbsup:

Tad
02-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Cool. Got dibs on a flat spot to crash at your place Tad. :thumbsup: Guess I better get a locker in Krista's trail Waggy this year too. ;) You got it, you and Krista can rough it same as last time :thumbsup:
rstep can take the office, Ron on the couch (if they want to come).
Anyone else wants to come through Silver there's plenty of flat spots to camp for the 17th.
Makes the drive into Las Cruces a bit less long/annoying (52 miles to Deming on 180, then another 60 miles on I-10)
I'll most likely head to Silver afterwork on the 16th, put's me there right about 0-beer-thirty.

Sambo
02-16-2008, 10:36 AM
put's me there right about 0-beer-thirty. amen brother;)
btw are we gonna try and keep this fsj exclusive or can other go? cause we have a few toys,blazers that would probably like to join us

Tad
02-16-2008, 10:59 AM
amen brother;)
btw are we gonna try and keep this fsj exclusive or can other go? cause we have a few toys,blazers that would probably like to join us
I'm not sure if you can actually tell people with other rigs not to come/go.
I'll leave that up to Michael and you folks, it ain't my party, I'm just going.

Gambler68
02-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I'll go :thumbsup:

How about the 2008 First Annual FSJ Chipoltle Convergence?

Michael
02-16-2008, 02:18 PM
By all means if you have someone that wants to go that does not have a fsj have them come.....I think we should try to make it more fsj's but we may need a few more it can make things interesting.

Michael
02-16-2008, 02:19 PM

I like it...but I am not sure I can say it real fast once I start sippin the juice....LOL

BRUTUS
02-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Ok... so if I am gonna do this, I would prefer to get a couple more days out of the trip. Is anyone planning on being there early or late?

Gambler68
02-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Ok... so if I am gonna do this, I would prefer to get a couple more days out of the trip. Is anyone planning on being there early or late?

Unless I get one of those j oh bee things I hear about, I'd go for longer. That's a long trip for just 2 days. Wouldn't mind checking out some local points of interest. Nice last blast before winter thing.

jepj2000
02-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Dates should be fine for me, I hope I can finally make one of these things.

I would like to see as many FSJs come as possible but I also like to watch what other people are doing with their non FSJ junk. Plus maybe we FSJers can get some braggin rights over Toys, Blazers, etc.:thumbsup:

Rankin

Michael
02-16-2008, 04:10 PM

I was thinking of driving out Thursday so I can be there ready friday am....Just trying to base the event around the weekend. If more show interest in 3 days lets make it 3 days. It is my vacation I am game. I agree I have about a 10hr drive, although I will be pulling it, it is long for a weekend ride.

Do we want to make it a 3 day event????????????????????????? And if anyone wants to stay longer go for it.

jaber
02-16-2008, 06:21 PM
By all means if you have someone that wants to go that does not have a fsj have them come.....I think we should try to make it more fsj's but we may need a few more it can make things interesting.

Make sure they are not thin skined. You KNOW theres going to be some haggling....:D :drivin:

Tad
02-16-2008, 07:16 PM
I can come in early Friday, like 7am, from Silver.
Gonna have to go back to Silver on Sunday, no matter what.
Getting back to Tucson on Tuesday is just not an option in October.

Make sure they are not thin skined. You KNOW theres going to be some haggling....:D :drivin: All depends.
I like to go wheeling with our AZ buddy Ron and his built Wrangler, or his GM shortbed. He's an excellent balsy driver that can save your butt in a hearbeat, I like having those experienced people along and will never make fun of them, no mater what they drive.

Michael
02-16-2008, 07:30 PM
I can come in early Friday, like 7am, from Silver.
Gonna have to go back to Silver on Sunday, no matter what.
Getting back to Tucson on Tuesday is just not an option in October.

All depends.
I like to go wheeling with our AZ buddy Ron and his built Wrangler, or his GM shortbed. He's an excellent balsy driver that can save your butt in a hearbeat, I like having those experienced people along and will never make fun of them, no mater what they drive.

I am with you Tad.....

Tad
02-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Anyone been reading these?
http://www.webejeepin.com/Trails/New_Mexico/Trails_NM.htm
I would bet my rig is at the most a 3 rated trail with a decent balance on the VISA card.
Let's go!

Michael
02-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I would bet my rig is at the most a 3 rated trail with a decent balance on the VISA card.
Let's go!

Yeah there is some great info on there...I saw that before I posted here about wanting to do this. Gets you kinda excited doesn't it...LOL Oh this will be fun stuff.

Still have a lot of work to do to the wag....but plenty of time.

Rednex4x4s
02-16-2008, 08:33 PM

I am Brutus.I am gonna make the trek from Kansas City.I will be there FRiday afternoon.Wont leave till Monday Morning.

bigun
02-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Let's go!
Thanks Tad looks like all the mods we are doing to Crom are going to come in handy

Tad
02-17-2008, 03:41 PM
...Still have a lot of work to do to the wag....but plenty of time.
Yep, same here but it needs to get done before Ouray.

Thanks Tad looks like all the mods we are doing to Crom are going to come in handy
Whatcha doin' Charlie?

I have 5 thing left that count:
Hydroboost
Replace welded rear w/Detroit
Rockers
Gas Tank Skid Plate
XMember skid Plate (really more of a slider)

and a boat load of "would be nice" things.

bigun
02-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Yep, same here but it needs to get done before Ouray.

Whatcha doin' Charlie?

TF 727 with reverse manual valve body, 203/205, Ford D60 front 4.10 gears, 14 bolt with Detroit rear! You know just a few minor cosmetic changes.

Sambo
02-18-2008, 05:37 AM
most of the hard trails can be done on 33's and careful spotting;)
also alot of them have bypasses so you dont have to do the obstackle....
except cayenne crawler!!!you run down amatista ledges to cayenne(short but fun trail) and you can see the upper part of patscuaros revenge!

i can also get mike huber to download the cordnance's in his gps for us...a few trails in the moderate section i have not ran! and none of the easy trails!

Michael
02-18-2008, 01:24 PM
That would be good Sambo,

When are you going?I think we need some updated pics.:)

I will post later this week some things to bring list for the trails, parts etc. And get everyones input so we can be prepared. I know it is a bit early but it is easier on you wallet if we plan ahead.

Sambo
02-18-2008, 03:47 PM
i am gonna try to make it there this saturday for the swfwda meeting and chile challenge drawings! i can get some pics of the blm area for camping...
i wont be taking a rig,so i cant get updated pics of the trails...also there are no signs to follow!
i can walk up to patscuros revenge and rocotillo rapids and get the trail head pics for y'all!

Mahamotorworks
02-18-2008, 04:36 PM
I might be able to make it on a R&R. I wouldnt have a rig with me, they are too big to take on a plane. I will have to see when my Sand in Boots will be.

MAHA

FireSnake
02-18-2008, 07:04 PM

Gotta give props to that one!

I reiterate:

Got questions? local here with answers. i'd be very happy to help you fellas out with anything you need. Apparently, you have a someone with intimate knowledge of our town and geographical layout (an inside man), this is how you are doing this...and the why is the trail, of course. i'm actually pretty proud that you gents are coming here.

At any rate, if you'd have me, i'd like to wheel with you all, if i could (pun intended)

no Jeep, just a Blazer:drivin:

Tad
02-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Got questions? local here with answers. i'd be very happy to help you fellas out with anything you need. Apparently, you have a someone with intimate knowledge of our town and geographical layout (an inside man), this is how you are doing this...and the why is the trail, of course. i'm actually pretty proud that you gents are coming here.

At any rate, if you'd have me, i'd like to wheel with you all, if i could (pun intended)

no Jeep, just a Blazer:drivin: I'd be happy and proud to have a local involved, I don't care what you wheel.
I've been outdone by many GM's, probably always will.
Not a pride or ego thing for me, please join us.
I think most of us respect what can or can not be done in any type of rig.

Questions:
Sure, I'll have many when I get there.
Do you ever make it up towards Silver City?
I have a place on 5 acres up on PA (hiway15) Rd.
Since I do not live there I do not meet any/many locals who wheel.
Would be nice to have some insight into that area besides the map

bigun
02-18-2008, 07:42 PM

no Jeep, just a Blazer:drivin: :thumbsup:
No problem we carry a roll of duct tape, bailing wire, and are used to helping GM people out! :lol::lol::lol::alc::alc:

Michael
02-18-2008, 08:18 PM

I reiterate:

You got what you wanted....sent you a very long pm!!!! Oh and thank you for all your help. And for sure...wheel with us, we probably will need another local.

Sambo
02-18-2008, 09:21 PM
firesnake,we could use some more assistance from the actual local ;)
like road to get to the air down from say interstate's either way east/west 10
and south from 25... i cant remember the exact roads,altho i should be there this weekend with pen and paper!

bigun
02-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Firesnake as the others have said we can always use all the local help we can get, Unlike Ouray where several members have lots of experirence with the trails.

jepj2000
02-18-2008, 10:09 PM

I'm pretty sure not one of us will say no to you or anyone else wanting to come wheel that weekend. I really like wheeling with locals when I get the chance, and I also really like seeing other makes and models on the trail as often as possible. I think the more people we can get the better time we will all have.

Thanks for helping us out and wanting to be apart of our group.

Rankin

Michael
02-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Here are some pics from one of Sambo's trips.....to give you all a taste...;)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/87redwag/cruces.jpg

and another

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/87redwag/sambo1.jpg

my favorite

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/87redwag/sambo.jpg

FireSnake
02-19-2008, 09:23 PM
wow...you fellas are cool. Thanks for your reception.

My rig really is nothing much, far from close, but getting there. Right now running stock 305, aftermarket carb, intake, exhaust. Stock trannie, t-case NP208, stock axles, and leafsprings :banghead:. H8 leafsprings. have been exploring options and learning with the guys over at sore4x4.com. have an engine block and parts coming, and shortly thereafter better axles.

Doing recon for you would be great! what trails are you going to...do you have URLs of maps that i could look at?

Heimeken
02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Firesnake, we'll have to hook up. I plan to do at least one recon event before the group arrives. I'll be looking for a good campsite we can stay up late at :) and some reasonably priced hotels for the group.

Tad
02-20-2008, 05:08 AM
Firesnake, we'll have to hook up. I plan to do at least one recon event before the group arrives. I'll be looking for a good campsite we can stay up late at :) and some reasonably priced hotels for the group.
Jaime,
I can make a quick trip over around March 20-23.

fulsizjeep
02-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Thanks FireSnake! It will help to have some local experience and feedback for this gathering. Since many of us are noobs to Cruces and don't know the trails, maybe you have recommendations. There was a link shared in this thread earlier by Tad on some of the trails.

I have read up on a few. We have two Wags for the trail, one with a locker. Looks like the other will get one this year. :thumbsup: Krista and I will have #3 rated Wags. :fsj: Are you familiar with Amatisa Ledges Trail? If so, how about some feedback? Looks like Tabasco Twister is out for us if there aren't alternate paths around the hard stuff. It mentions 2 winch points. Sounds kind of like Upper Helldorado in Moab.

Michael
02-20-2008, 07:58 AM
A recon trip would be good. If we can plan it around a weekend I am off work, I could probably fly to El Paso Friday night or something if someone could pick me up so I can ride along. Email me Jaime or call me so we can set this up!!!!

I am off the weekend of March 22.......around Tad's time he can go.

Tad
02-20-2008, 08:03 AM
I am off the weekend of March 22.......around Tad's time he can go.
At work now and checked.
I'm actually off from mid-day on the 19th to the 24th, but I need to get back the evening of the 23rd.
:thumbsup:

Michael
02-20-2008, 08:05 AM
At work now and checked.
I'm actually off from mid-day on the 19th to the 24th, but I need to get back the evening of the 23rd.

I will pm you.

Heimeken
02-20-2008, 11:36 AM
FYI, that is Good Friday/ Easter weekend but it'll work for me. I'll be in El Paso for sure.

Here are some pics from a few years back in Las Cruces. These trails were rated "Moderate". I would say you need at least a rear locker and 33's to avoid being winched or at least tugged :D

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v112/heimeken/LasCruces2002/?albumview=slideshow

Tad
02-20-2008, 12:34 PM
"Moderate"
I think I better fix my winch.

fulsizjeep
02-20-2008, 02:09 PM
I think I better fix my winch.Please Do!

Sambo
02-20-2008, 06:36 PM
you only have 7 months to get her fixed!:p

Tad
02-20-2008, 07:12 PM
you only have 7 months to get her fixed!:p Nope, now.
I hate that bad parking routine I established last October.
(I'm sure Flint will post the pic soon enough)

Michael
02-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey Tad are you going to get more of your Arizona fsjers??????

fulsizjeep
02-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Nope, now.
I hate that bad parking routine I established last October.
(I'm sure Flint will post the pic soon enough)nah, ya just had to be there to get the picture right :D

Tad
02-21-2008, 05:08 AM
Hey Tad are you going to get more of your Arizona fsjers?????? I hope so.
It would be a just a little more travel time for the PHX folks.
About 2 extra hours if they came thru Safford/Silver City.
About 2 extra if they came down and around on I-10.

FireSnake
02-21-2008, 06:13 PM
K. i just did a cruise down Picacho Ave (that's the nearest street closest to where i believe Sambo is wanting to take you all, where the local/"intl" Chile Challenge is taking place). Here's some hotels....the one on Avenida de Mesilla is NOT (obviously) on Picacho Ave, but it's the next closest, and nice.

What i priced quickly by phone was 1 room, 1 bed, per night. i'm sure the rates will increase, depending on mutliple beds/people. These that i have chosen for you are the nicer places, as Picacho Ave is not a bustling side of town, there's a few No-tell motels, which i have not listed... i'd rather camp than stay in one of these places :eek:

Desert Lodge Motel
1900 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM 88005-2344
Local:
575-524-1925 $35.00/n

Western Inn
2155 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM 88007-2319
Local:
575-523-5399 $35.00/n

Best Western Mesilla Valley Inn and Conference Center
901 Avenida De Mesilla
Las Cruces, NM 88005-6579
Local:
575-524-8603 $85.00/n

Royal Host Motel
2146 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM 88007-2367
Local:
575-524-8536 $42.00/n

Budget Inn
2255 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM 88007-2318
Local:
575-523-0365 $33.90/n

Following along Picacho Ave closer into town is a restauraunt called, "Pancake Alley". This place ROCKS. GREAT food, Great prices, GREAT portions. Down from that (into town) is Weaver's Welding. Further along there is a Sonic. Further down is Las Cruces Radiator...should you find yourself in dire straights. At the next major intersection (N. Main and Picacho) is good old Harbor Freight, and across the street is New Mexico Bolt and Screw, specializing in.....nuts, bolts, and screws. good shop (thought you'd like to know about these last two places, just in case). There is also a fix-a-flat shop along Picacho Ave as well. Closer to the trail on Picacho there is an Auto-Salvage Yard/Towing called Luchini's. Been here for like 40 years or so, they have some parts. Closest Chain Retail Parts Store is Car Quest, fairly close to Picacho. Nearest grocery store is next to Car Quest, "Save Mart".

There's a pasta restaraunt on Picacho....don't do it. you'll be sorry to have wasted your time and money. You could cook better and cheaper at home/on trail.

The cheapest places for gas are in town, and small, and usually crammed with people. i CAN give directions, if you need that. Along Picacho there are 4 gas stations (5th being built now) and 2 propane places (if you're running propane). The Diamond Shamrock is asking (ha!) $2.959/g for unleaded. There's is Sam's, which has gas, but it's on the other side of town.

There are plenty of more restaraunts and hotels, parts houses, and fuel stations, i am so far omitting them and staying close to the trail head.

Here are last year's Weather number's, mid Oct.:
http://www.almanac.com/weatherhistory/oneday.php?month=10&day=16&year=2007&number=722695&wban=99999

Tad
02-21-2008, 07:39 PM
K. i just did a...
Here are last year's Weather number's, mid Oct.:
http://www.almanac.com/weatherhistory/oneday.php?month=10&day=16&year=2007&number=722695&wban=99999 You have gone out of your way for this.
I need a name to go with the handle.
You can PM it to me if you like, likewise I will PM you my phone number.
Several of us will be there in 4 weeks for recon.
I think we would be most pleased to meet you, shake your hand, go wheeling and buy you dinner.
If not dinner, at least the beverage of your choice.
Thanks,
Tad

bigun
02-21-2008, 08:05 PM
FireSnake, Crom runs on propane any places to fill up or should we plan on hauling our usual 100 gallon spare tank.

Heimeken
02-21-2008, 08:16 PM
That sounds like perfect weather to me :). Warm day, cool night.

Thanks for the research. Hopefully you can meet up with us on the 21st.

Michael
02-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Firesnake that is just what I was looking for on Hotel info.

I really appreciate it. Come join us on the Recon trip next month. Dinner will be on me.....oh and nice cool beverage of course.

FireSnake
02-21-2008, 10:45 PM
FireSnake, Crom runs on propane any places to fill up or should we plan on hauling our usual 100 gallon spare tank.

100 gallon?!?! Good Gracious!

Yes there's two places on Picacho that run propane, i figured at least one person would need that. Farther out on Picacho (which runs into I-10) Near the fairgrounds (which is close to the trailhead that Sambo is observing currently) there's a truckstop...Luvs i think? i'll give them a call...well, could do it now, it's 24/7...and see if they have propane.

it's not a problem at all, fellas. took me all of 10 minutes drive, and 3 minutes of computing and phoneing. This is why i offered to do some leg work for ya. If you guys ever head over to sore4x4.com, tell AlsChopShop thanks, he's the one that warned me about your imminent infestation. (i'm not sure he's a member here or simply a voyeur.)

Some folks have asked me about camping....not sure what you're used to, or am planning, but IF IT'S ON BLM LAND, CAMP AS YOU WILL. Not a lot to get in the way of pitching a tent....lotsa sand. Not much in the way of bugs to bite you, i haven't seen a scorpion yet, or tarantula....there's black widoes and few brown recluse, though...but it's not like they're teeming.

I know of a swell RV park too, if some of you are going that route...they're nice, good customers of mine. of course, you could drop your trailer at the trail head/airdown location also....

tomorrow i'll look at NM DOT codes and regs, some have asked me about bead locks..have seen a couple of rigs with them on, but not heard of codes, or enforcement. I'll post what relevant info i can find.

How can i get your server to stop timing me out so i don't have to re-enter w/ password, then back up, copy and paste my message, then foreward, and paste my message? please PM that, it would be a lot simpler. thank you. like 3 minutes!!!!:banghead:

FireSnake
02-21-2008, 10:50 PM
ok, luv's truck stop does not have propane. boo. thier unleaded is at $3.059 right now.

DOT codes tomorrow.

Tad
02-22-2008, 06:27 AM
How can i get your server to stop timing me out so i don't have to re-enter w/ password, then back up, copy and paste my message, then foreward, and paste my message? please PM that, it would be a lot simpler. thank you. like 3 minutes!!!! That's on your end, when you log in click that little box that says "remember me", I have not logged out/been logged out in years except for checking on things like that.

Tad
02-22-2008, 06:30 AM
Charlie (and others).
Griffin's Propane (who I use in Silver)
2640 W. Picacho
Las Cruces, NM 88004
Phone: (505) 523-7775
Branch Manager: Arnold Lopez
email: griffins_lc@zianet.com

jaber
02-22-2008, 06:41 AM
I hope so.
It would be a just a little more travel time for the PHX folks.
About 2 extra hours if they came thru Safford/Silver City.
About 2 extra if they came down and around on I-10.

If I can get a WOT going this summer, I'm going to try to make it. I need to swap a motor and rear axle.

Anyone care to help??????

Yaho maps quoted about 8 hrs from Prescott.....

Dmntxn77
02-22-2008, 05:38 PM
We do need a good name for this event...lets throw some out so possibly this can become an anual deal. I will change the title once we come up with a good one.

I will make the T-shirts.. :thumbsup:

Less than 7 hours for me.. I hope I am back in Texas by then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tad
02-22-2008, 06:39 PM
If I can get a WOT going this summer, I'm going to try to make it. I need to swap a motor and rear axle.
Anyone care to help??????
Yaho maps quoted about 8 hrs from Prescott..... I want to say yes but time is thin and distance is large.
PHX people, can you help jaber out?

Less than 7 hours for me.. I hope I am back in Texas by then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would be cool, but this is Michael's deal.
Hope you are back also (6 for me if I do a straight run).
The pit stop in Silver is always open when I am there.

Dmntxn77
02-22-2008, 06:46 PM
I want to say yes but time is thin and distance is large.
PHX people, can you help jaber out?

It would be cool, but this is Michael's deal.
Hope you are back also (6 for me if I do a straight run).
The pit stop in Silver is always open when I am there.

:huh:

I dont follow... Does Michael make shirts too?

I'm not trying to step on any toes, just offering...

Tad
02-22-2008, 07:26 PM
:huh:

I dont follow... Does Michael make shirts too?

I'm not trying to step on any toes, just offering...
I doubt it, but it's not my place to make that call.
I'm trying to avoid toe stepping also.
(sometimes people think because I am a mod/admin here I know something, I don't know jack, my thoughts are no more valuable than anyones, I just want to do some NM wheelin')

fulsizjeep
02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
I just want to do some NM wheelin'X2! :thumbsup:

Dmntxn77
02-22-2008, 07:33 PM
fulsizjeep[/COLOR]]X2! :thumbsup:

X3! :thumbsup:

;)

bigun
02-22-2008, 08:34 PM
100 gallon?!?! Good Gracious!.

:banghead:
The first trip I took to Ouray turned into a fisco because I ended uppaying more for propane per gallon then the others were paying for gasoline. So now I have a trailer with the tank on it that we can fill in NM for about a third of the cost of gasoline.

FireSnake
02-22-2008, 08:56 PM
DOT codes tomorrow.

Ok, as what usually happens in this state, am running into a brick wall trying to find vehicular codes for this state :banghead:. I can't wait to move out of here.

I do know, that to drive a vehickle ON THE ROADS in the state one has to have liability insurance, all four working turn indicators, both head lights, working tail lights and brake lights....um, that's it. no emissions, except around Albuquerque (and that's probably pretty lax). bumper optional.

As far as bead locks are concerned, i have seen a few trucks around here with them on. I have a few customers who are in law enforcement, i'll ask them if they know, or if they can get me info about bead locks.

DmnTxn77: Michael has asked me about a local outfit that makes stickers and/t-shirts....i referred him to the best place in town (he also sponsors my buddy's race car). This man's motto is, "Perfection". He WILL create exactly what you want, without defects. http://www.bluegraphix.com (http://www.bluegraphix.com/)

What else do you guys need? Please let me know. I can do more. Am coordinating with your advance party, also.

Michael
02-22-2008, 09:27 PM

Less than 7 hours for me.. I hope I am back in Texas by then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to see what the guy Firesnake recomended will charge me/us. I was thinking a good t-shirt probably in black with a pocket. Not sure on the art work but that is why I will be paying him. Also I will be working on a decal for your rig. If anyone wants to help me with this that is cool email me your ideas; they are always welcome. I am hoping I can finalize some art work by March 20 so Jaime, Tad, Firesnake, and myself can swing in to finalize the deal. If it is not done by then I will need someone local to do it for me.

87redwag@sbcglobal.net

If this does not work out then I will need your help DMNTXN77!!!! Thank you for the offer.

Dmntxn77
02-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Cool, just let me know... I am getting a pretty good rep with the shirt guy here, so the price is getting pretty good. That SHOULD reflect in my next Waggy batch..

As far as art, ask Eric (MenInBlack).. He has some computer graphic skills and is VERY good to work with.

bigun
02-22-2008, 10:58 PM
link to pirate chili challange pictures
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660133

COLOFIREMAN
02-23-2008, 09:38 AM
When I lived in ALB I remember wearing shorts until December so I can only suggest that we set it for later then earlier, but I'm in whenever.:thumbsup:

jepj2000
02-23-2008, 10:27 PM
link to pirate chili challange pictures

Thanks for the link, love that blue Cherokee thats out there.

Rankin

newwagwheeler
02-24-2008, 12:10 AM
I posted this question when this thread was listed in the off road section but only got partial feedback. What trail rating will I need to get my jeep up to to have a good time on this run. I plan on doing gears and a true trac between now and then. will I need a front locker?
The other question, is this going to be a kid friendly event? What type of camping is available near air down?

fulsizjeep
02-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the link, love that blue Cherokee thats out there.It does look pretty dang good, but must run on an alternative fuel - no gas cap! :D
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u40/Katemcyrocks/IMG_1190.jpg

COLOFIREMAN
02-24-2008, 09:18 AM
It does look pretty dang good, but must run on an alternative fuel - no gas cap! :D
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u40/Katemcyrocks/IMG_1190.jpg

What size are those tires ? They look like 39's?

Michael
02-24-2008, 09:18 AM
I posted this question when this thread was listed in the off road section but only got partial feedback. What trail rating will I need to get my jeep up to to have a good time on this run. I plan on doing gears and a true trac between now and then. will I need a front locker?
The other question, is this going to be a kid friendly event? What type of camping is available near air down?

Sorry I did not answer your questions earlier. As far as kid friendly I have not decided yet to pull my son out of school because over the last 8 years this will be the first time I have wheeled without him. So yes for sure it will be kid friendly but I would say they may get bored....my son does when I take him wheelin. If he does come I will have a little 100cc quad with me that is real fun.

I am not sure on the camping but since it is blm land that usually means primitive camping the cool thing is you could wheel on the land a pitch a tent anywhere.

As far as locker in front. Not mandatory but it would not be a bad idea if you just want it done. I will be going there next month to do a recon on the area, I will post what is needed to make this fun for everyone after that.

I would say 33's minimum locker rear although we could probably get you through without. But you for sure will need to ground clearance.

I hope that answers most of your questions.

Dmntxn77
02-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Hmmm.. Since my cage is pretty much done, once I pull the top off, it will be tough to tell mine and that blue one apart.. (from a distance of course)

Man, I hope I am back in time for this!!!!!!!!!

Sambo
02-24-2008, 07:58 PM
i was over on tabasco twister saturday when these guys ran patscuros revenge! notice the winch line on the chero...a must for the extreme trails:eek:
i wonder if anyone bought that blue chero...i saw it for sale over on tx4x4.org a few weeks ago!
the yellow jeep that says smidget is on the bypass:eek::thumbsup:

we spent most of the day on tabasco twister(27 rigs) we missed supper at the fairgrounds,and drawings! we started at 8:30am and got back to pavement at 6:30pm long dadgum day...
pics will be posted up soon,my camera was not working but my buddy angel's was...so when i get a chance to get with him and dl to a cd for me to post on the net i will!:thumbsup:

Rednex4x4s
02-24-2008, 09:52 PM

Fuel injection would be a big plus to if you wanna go up those 89 degree (LOL) ledges never have had good luck with the carb thing on those kinda inclines.Some of these guys can get carbs to run but not me.

bigun
02-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Fuel injection would be a big plus to if you wanna go up those 89 degree (LOL) ledges never have had good luck with the carb thing on those kinda inclines.Some of these guys can get carbs to run but not me. That is why I went to propane

newwagwheeler
02-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Sorry I did not answer your questions earlier. As far as kid friendly I have not decided yet to pull my son out of school because over the last 8 years this will be the first time I have wheeled without him. So yes for sure it will be kid friendly but I would say they may get bored....my son does when I take him wheelin. If he does come I will have a little 100cc quad with me that is real fun.

I am not sure on the camping but since it is blm land that usually means primitive camping the cool thing is you could wheel on the land a pitch a tent anywhere.

As far as locker in front. Not mandatory but it would not be a bad idea if you just want it done. I will be going there next month to do a recon on the area, I will post what is needed to make this fun for everyone after that.

I would say 33's minimum locker rear although we could probably get you through without. But you for sure will need to ground clearance.

I hope that answers most of your questions.

Most of my questions, thanks for your help. This will be ou rfirst trail run. I have played around locally with the kids but never anything too serious. Currently I am running 33' and plan to have a gear change before then. Maybe a true track in the back.

Let me know what ya'll think

I would add a pic of my rig if I knew how.

bigun
02-25-2008, 12:14 AM
I would add a pic of my rig if I knew how.
First you need a place to host your pictures
I personally use since it is free to IFSJA members
http://www.fullsizejeeps.com/gallery/index.php
Afteryou upload your pictures (please make them small for those on dial up)
copy the resultiing URL. Then at the top of the reply box bottom level second pictograph from the right is the button for pictures, click it, paste your URL in the in the box hit ok and your pictures should apear.
Be glad you used to have to do all the work when I first started on here

newwagwheeler
02-25-2008, 01:00 AM
No luck on that site, but free is my lucky number.
I will try again tomorrow.
Thanks

Dmntxn77
02-25-2008, 01:34 AM
www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com)

Its easy, and it automatically resizes your pics. Load your pics any copy and past the last link address under your pic (you will understand once you get that far)..

Sambo
02-25-2008, 05:42 AM
hey for the propane fellas i found a spot close to the trails..its at 320 and I25
320 being the road to turn off on,which is about 10 miles north up i25 of down town cruces... theres several gas stations,as well as propane right behind the texico station!

Michael
02-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Fuel injection would be a big plus to if you wanna go up those 89 degree (LOL) ledges never have had good luck with the carb thing on those kinda inclines.Some of these guys can get carbs to run but not me.

One budget word.....tbi......

newwagwheeler
02-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Yeah, got the TBI upgrade.
Here is the pic of my rig: http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/newwagwheeler/?action=view&current=IMGA0834.jpg

Let me know what ya'll think.

As I have said, this will be my first ever "real" off road adventure. I have played around on some small stuff but I can't wait to get out there with this group. My family has been looking forward to something like this for a long time. We are only about three hours from Las Cruses so this event will be perfect for us. Can't wait...:thumbsup:

bigun
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
A local news source running a poll on the Chili Challenge!
http://www.lcsun-news.com/index.html?_requestid=700263

Sambo
02-25-2008, 05:35 PM
check out the grey toyota about half way thru!
thats my ugly mug pointing the line to roy dearing! me in blue shirt/camo pants

Tad
02-25-2008, 07:13 PM
A local news source running a poll on the Chili Challenge!
http://www.lcsun-news.com/index.html?_requestid=700263 Got it voted for the obvious choice.
Any idea how this poll came to be?
Backgroung?
Someone/thing/org trying to stop it?

Michael
02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Okay fellow fsjers:rolleyes: ....believe it or not since this started my fingers are getting a heck of a work out on making this event pull off without a hitch...although I am sure that will not be the case. Here is what I am working on and I will need some info:

Recon trip March 21st weekend. Anyone is welcome to come right now we will have 3 possibly 4 rigs planning our trail ride. Getting good directions for everyone etc. I will post up some pics once done.

T-shirts-decals: In my attempt to make this a un official event but yet make it memorable for all of us I am working with someone located in Las Cruces on tshirts and decals(thanks firesnake), I do need to know how many I should commit to and if anyone has any issues buying these. I do not want to be stuck with 20 tshirts although I will pick up some of the bill if he comes up too high. I would like to give something back to the community, so doing business there is the best way. I am thinking Med,Large,xlarge, and 2x....if you need it bigger please speak up please now is the time.

I am working with some of our fsj vendors to do some kind of raffle. Vendors will be announced later as we finalize what will happen. Still waiting on a couple more. Raffles are always fun so I hope this will come together.

That is what I have been up to, other than working on getting my rig together for it, although early, I do not want to miss anything.

This is going to be a cool event. I hope we have a good turn out.

jepj2000
02-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for keeping this event so organized for all of us. The shirts, stickers, etc. sound like a great idea to me, and a raffle is always fun for everyone.

I would love to make it out for the Recon trip but I will be doing some spingbreak game management (hunting) on our ranch that weekend:banghead:.

Keep up the excellent work on this and can't wait to see how the recon trip goes.

Thanks again,
Rankin

Michael
02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
No problem, although this is going to be a casual event I think it is important to have some things like tshirts, even if you have to pay for them, and a raffle. We will see if it comes together. Oh and believe me. This has not been just me doing this....there has been many in the background.

bigun
02-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Got it voted for the obvious choice.
Any idea how this poll came to be?
Backgroung?
Someone/thing/org trying to stop it?
Here is what is I was told on pirate
Not exactly sure what brought it on, other than Chile Challenge was last week. Also, the ongoing battle (that the newspaper often is involved in) regarding land use.

If I recall, they also had a similar poll after last years event.

Regardless, thanks for SMOKING this poll all! Not sure how long it will stay up.

I've been told by some locals that the mayor is friends with some greenies:shaking:

Sambo
02-26-2008, 05:44 PM
there has been a ongoing deal with blm and others about closeing the robledo mountains where the chile challenge,and trails reside!
one reason for giving up my $$$ to SWFWDA...they are helping us try to keep it open! and events such as ours will help to show its not just a once a year thing!

Tad
02-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I am working with some of our fsj vendors to do some kind of raffle. Vendors will be announced later as we finalize what will happen. Still waiting on a couple more. Raffles are always fun so I hope this will come together....
TT's will be there with a free SOA/SF Kit and more.
I encourage all the vendors to help make this happen.
Thanks for the invite Michael.

there has been a ongoing deal with blm and others about closeing the robledo mountains where the chile challenge,and trails reside!
one reason for giving up my $$$ to SWFWDA...they are helping us try to keep it open! and events such as ours will help to show its not just a once a year thing! Perfect then, let's show them it's not just a specific group 1xper year thing, we can do this I think, but you folks have to show up in October.

Michael
02-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks Tad that will be great, I hope the other vendors help out that would be great.

I need to know how many of you that do plan on attending would buy a tshirt????? Or decal......

I am working a deal and need a close count on how many.

Michael
02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Oh and there is a good article on the SWFWDA website about Las Cruces. If you can read the legal mumbo jumbo it is pretty good. This has been going on a really long time.

Tad
02-26-2008, 09:00 PM
I need to know how many of you that do plan on attending would buy a tshirt????? Or decal...

I'll take 3 of each.

fivepack
02-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Thanks Tad that will be great, I hope the other vendors help out that would be great.

I need to know how many of you that do plan on attending would buy a tshirt????? Or decal......

I am working a deal and need a close count on how many.

I'll take 2 xxl and 1 Lg. Also no trip is good without a decal.

Now I'm getting stoked. This will be my first chance to meet some of you guys who have helped me so much with putting this rig together.

Anyone from DFW North Texas going?

FireSnake
02-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Been reading since page 4, since 4:30 this morning.

What is the decal and shirt going to look like? i suppose you could mark me down for a Medium, and a large, no sticker.

Yeah, the Chile Challenge has been a hot topic for the past several years, the ****ed enviro-nazis making an issue of driving these trails, and also geo/archiologists.....it's sand, and rock. kinda hard to damage an environment that's already lifeless, you know? What might we drive on? the mesquite bushes? Yeah, those aren't hardy at all, living out here, and can give your tires a very bad day...same as cactus and yucca...what else...hmmm....NOTHING! Especially as most of us stay on the trail.

Last year i attended a meeting of the Las Cruces 4 Wheel Drive Club, at that time they were considering not putting on the Chile Challenge (CC) for the next year, as it is a great deal of work, and as the enviro-nazis were making it more difficult. Obviously they changed thier minds. FWIW, i don't really feel that it's a community event anyway, more than half the town doesn't even know it exists (the CC). There wasn't any advertising that i heard or saw, either. There's no prizes, either trophies or money, yet there is a registration fee, which magically increases two weeks before the "event"...it doubles. I was thinking of going last year, and by the time i heard the quiet ad on the radio, it was like $125.00 to register.....

At any rate, here is the LCFWDC's descriptions of the trails http://lascrucesfourwheeldriveclub.com/
go to: Club Events>Chile Challenge>...scroll down to "Trail Descriptions".

Have a good day fellas...i gotta figure out some way to draft the wifey to help me replace the body bushings on my rig.........Speaking of the dear, sweet, wifey, i'm drafting her to photograph at the March scouting event....she's got a NIIICE camera, and she loves using it.

Mahamotorworks
02-27-2008, 07:12 AM
I would want a 2XL shirt if I go or not. If any one has notice my sig lately it talks about an deployment. I work for The Army Air Froce Ecxhange Services (AAFES). I have voulenteered to deploy to run a retail operation for the troop downrange. I have done it before, I was in Qatar for 6 months last year. I should be attend the Ride while on a 10-day R&R. I just need to know somw information, Where is the closest Airport? I cant take my jeep on the plane, No I wont be flying back on a C5, so I will need some one to ride with. I should be able to rent a car while I am there but I dont think that a Car will make it on the trails very well. Note to self, Get extra insurance on the rental...........

I just wanted to add a thanks to everyone who is helping plan this event.

MAHA

Sambo
02-27-2008, 08:19 PM
mark me down for 1 xxl's,and 1 xl fer my boy;) and a sticker for me heep!

misfittom138
02-27-2008, 09:06 PM
xxl and stickers would be cool. Maybe a med too. Or girl shirt. lol.

jepj2000
02-27-2008, 09:37 PM
At this time 1 Large and a sticker.

Thanks,
Rankin

bigun
02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I would want a 2XL shirt if I go or not. If any one has notice my sig lately it talks about an deployment. I work for The Army Air Froce Ecxhange Services (AAFES). I have voulenteered to deploy to run a retail operation for the troop downrange. I have done it before, I was in Qatar for 6 months last year. I should be attend the Ride while on a 10-day R&R. I just need to know somw information, Where is the closest Airport? I cant take my jeep on the plane, No I wont be flying back on a C5, so I will need some one to ride with. I should be able to rent a car while I am there but I dont think that a Car will make it on the trails very well. Note to self, Get extra insurance on the rental...........

I just wanted to add a thanks to everyone who is helping plan this event.

MAHA
There is an Army base in El paso and a Air force base in Albuquerque. Both city's have regular Airports and I am sure some one will let you ride shotgun or back bumper depending on the rig. Hey BlackBart how you coming with the reciver hitch back seat on Crom!!!

Dmntxn77
02-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey BlackBart how you coming with the reciver hitch back seat on Crom!!!

:eek:

Mahamotorworks
02-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey BlackBart how you coming with the reciver hitch back seat on Crom!!!

Sounds like fun but I dont own a redman suit..... yet...... http://www.redmangear.com/products.jhtml?method=view&section.id=1&category.id=9&product.id=95

MAHA

jermtx
02-28-2008, 02:39 AM
i live in in el paso too, i'd head out to this!

Michael
02-28-2008, 05:49 AM
I'll take 2 xxl and 1 Lg. Also no trip is good without a decal.

Now I'm getting stoked. This will be my first chance to meet some of you guys who have helped me so much with putting this rig together.

Anyone from DFW North Texas going?

Yes I will be there.....email me if you need any help with anything 87redwag@sbcglobal.net

FireSnake
02-28-2008, 06:32 AM
There is an Army base in El paso and a Air force base in Albuquerque. Both city's have regular Airports and I am sure some one will let you ride shotgun or back bumper depending on the rig. Hey BlackBart how you coming with the reciver hitch back seat on Crom!!!

Don't forget Holloman AFB in Alamogordo! Much closer than Albuquerque:thumbsup:

FireSnake
02-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Spoke with local wheeler who knows the area you are considering...he said that there are bypasses around most of the bigger ledges.

fulsizjeep
02-28-2008, 06:54 AM
thanks Michael - we would go for at least 2 XL shirts and 2 stickers

Slick Willie
02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Goodness, where have I been? Cummings? Please. :p

That blue Chero is for sale in Austin right now. I saw it wheel at Katemcy last year. It's not too shabby for the price he's asking.

I'm in for this run. For now, I'll need one shirt and one decal. That'll increase before too long. Gotta see if the GF is coming, my buddies, etc. I may have up to 3 open seats for any passengers from this site. So if your crap isn't running, come anyway and take pictures for us!

Thanks for putting this thing together guys! Planning this far ahead is never a bad idea. Props!

Dmntxn77
02-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I will probably go for 1 XL and one sticker..

bigun
02-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Planning this far ahead is never a bad idea. Props!
LOL if you think this is early check out the Ouray threads we start planning next years before we leave the KOA on the last day!

janie
02-28-2008, 08:17 PM
TT's will be there with a free SOA/SF Kit and more.
I encourage all the vendors to help make this happen.

Not a vendor but happy to pitch in. The House of Dexron is in for a contribution. Michael, as the date gets closer maybe we could meet somewhere for you to haul the goods out there.

If that's not convenient, I'll ship these ahead to another member who will be attending.

Michael
02-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Not a vendor but happy to pitch in. The House of Dexron is in for a contribution. Michael, as the date gets closer maybe we could meet somewhere for you to haul the goods out there.

If that's not convenient, I'll ship these ahead to another member who will be attending.

Janie that is greatly appreciated. I will put you on my list!!!!

Guadzilla
02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Michael....Put me down for a med. and a large and 2 stickers....I'll also see if I can't come up with a little sumthin for the raffle...I have a stereo business (AudioMotive) and I'm sure my fellow FSJeepers can use a CB radio or stereo for their rig....:drivin:

Michael
02-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Michael....Put me down for a med. and a large and 2 stickers....I'll also see if I can't come up with a little sumthin for the raffle...I have a stereo business (AudioMotive) and I'm sure my fellow FSJeepers can use a CB radio or stereo for their rig....:drivin:

Now that would be cooool!!!

Sambo
02-29-2008, 10:22 PM
wow i could use a better set of tunes!:thumbsup:

bigun
02-29-2008, 11:00 PM
wow i could use a better set of tunes!:thumbsup:
I don't know how can you compete against an AMC 360 burbling through a single 3.5 inch pipe?

fulsizjeep
03-01-2008, 07:22 AM
I don't know how can you compete against an AMC 360 burbling through a single 3.5 inch pipe?You know this was coming Charlie... a 401 singing through twice pipes! :fsj:

We'll see what we can dig up for the raffle Michael. Mark us down for something from Jubilee Jeeps. :thumbsup:

bigun
03-01-2008, 07:43 AM
You know this was coming Charlie... a 401 singing through twice pipes! :fsj:

We'll see what we can dig up for the raffle Michael. Mark us down for something from Jubilee Jeeps. :thumbsup:
I had to leave you an opening!

Michael
03-01-2008, 05:34 PM
You know this was coming Charlie... a 401 singing through twice pipes! :fsj:

That sounds great! I ran into a short coming on the tshirt lead....I guess I am too picky or pushy not sure which.

As far the the raffle Flint. If you toss in one of those 401's we do not need to raffle that....I will just load it on my trailer....:thumbsup: :p

fulsizjeep
03-02-2008, 02:20 PM
LOL! We are restricted to only driving 401s outside the state of Colorado. Under those rules, we can not comply. :D We'll figure something out though. You may check with AMXfactor on shirts. I think he bid on the Ouray shirts last year. Don't remember for sure. Beth Anne took care of that business. Do you have any art work or are you looking for both art and production in one source?

Tad
03-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I think I better fix my winch. Please Do! Done!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Wagoneer/Winch/winchdone.jpg

fulsizjeep
03-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Dig It Tad! :thumbsup: Good to see someone is doing something on thier FSJ. ;) Was gonna do some FSJ work outside today but we got that Spring/Winter complex going on with sun, then snow, then wind, then sun... It is skitso weather and we are staying in with wood burnin in the stove and glad the weather is cold enough to fend off the basement leak. :rolleyes:

Michael
03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Good news Tad maybe we can see if that winch works in a couple of weeks:eek:

Tad
03-05-2008, 05:25 AM
I hope not, it's only an 8K'er I picked up here pretty cheep.
I'll be doing something to my rockers also but not before the recon (waiting for the rest of the rust to fall off first) :eek:

Sambo
03-09-2008, 01:51 PM
hey my 8 k has come in handy in las cruces,but it wasnt for myself! i had to right a cj7 not once but twice:eek:

Michael
03-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I have a 12k on my wag.....so hopefully we will not have to use it. Although it is a Milemarker and it is slow but it works when my battery is good....LOL

Tad
03-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Very good.
12 days until recon, I spent Sat in QJetHell.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Wagoneer/4badcarbs.jpg

bigun
03-10-2008, 09:30 AM
I have picked up two 8274's, unknown at this time if they work.

woodyranger
03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Either of the OCT dates would work better for me than the Sept ones...Hopefully, I have my wagoneer built by then, but I doubt I will...

newwagwheeler
03-10-2008, 10:02 AM
We live in Roswell and are planning to make the trip. I am getting my driveshaft rebuilt today. Hope to have a cam, some gears and a locker done w/in the next two months or so. Put me down for a sticker and an extra large t-shirt. Are ya'll going to have a different shirt for the girls? Wife and Kids will be making this a fun family outing. We are planning on camping overnight, at least 1 night maybe 2 at the air down or at the KOA.

srobertsfsj
03-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Question, sounded like early on in the thread that you had to register for this and it is full? Or can people still sign up?

bigun
03-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Question, sounded like early on in the thread that you had to register for this and it is full? Or can people still sign up?
No sign ups or registration just plan on showing up!

Michael
03-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Just show up, no sign ups this is a casual event.

Date is October 18-19 come early stay late it is up to you. I may come early.

newwagwheeler
03-14-2008, 11:10 PM
I asked ya'll to put me down for a sticker and an xl shirt. Add one med shirt and we will see ya there.

Tad
03-15-2008, 10:07 PM
I asked ya'll to put me down for a sticker and an xl shirt. Add one med shirt and we will see ya there. You should probaly PM Michael directly with those requests, I'm sure this post is getting too long for him to keep track of these things (in the post that is).

6 days to recon.
We are booked, checked and loaded to go.
(found a missing caliper bolt today, I have never seen that happen, very odd)

Michael
03-16-2008, 02:46 PM
I asked ya'll to put me down for a sticker and an xl shirt. Add one med shirt and we will see ya there.

I am still working on the shirts so this is not a for sure deal yet. I still have time. When I posted about the shirts I was not taking orders exactly just getting a feeler for how many.

There are many things in the works for the tshirts, as a few things have fallen through:mad: which has made this very difficult. I will post more about it in the next month or so as for what we will be doing on those. But no worries myself and other members are working on it.:)

Michael
03-16-2008, 02:47 PM
You should probaly PM Michael directly with those requests, I'm sure this post is getting too long for him to keep track of these things (in the post that is).

6 days to recon.
We are booked, checked and loaded to go.
(found a missing caliper bolt today, I have never seen that happen, very odd)

Boy oh boy....I still need to book my stuff. I will work on it now. Do I need to bring some spare caliper or anything other parts....LOL:drivin: I do think we should see how my rental car does....maybe I should purchase insurance????LOL

Dmntxn77
03-16-2008, 03:29 PM
......maybe I should purchase insurance????LOL

Oh yeah, thats your free pass!!

Tad
03-17-2008, 06:06 AM
Boy oh boy....I still need to book my stuff. I will work on it now. Do I need to bring some spare caliper or anything other parts....LOL:drivin: I do think we should see how my rental car does....maybe I should purchase insurance????LOL
Naw, stuff falls off my jeep all the time, normally it's not related to anything I have done in the last 2-3 years.
That stuff just implodes :eek:

FireSnake
03-18-2008, 05:33 PM
And time marches on.

Hopefully meet up with you fellas this week for the advance scouting, please give me a call and i'll be there...free time permitting!

October looms in the distance....

Guadzilla
03-19-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm Ready :thumbsup: The 14 bolt is in...63 " springs are flexin....fender flares are modified....31 gallon tank is full :fsj: and I'm a whole lot poorer :eek: Wish I could afford to go this weekend too !!!!

http://www.fullsizejeeps.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10173/normal_P3160537-1.JPG

http://www.fullsizejeeps.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10173/normal_P3160540-1.jpg

Tad
03-19-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm Ready :thumbsup: The 14 bolt is in...63 " springs are flexin....fender flares are modified....31 gallon tank is full :fsj: and I'm a whole lot poorer :eek: Wish I could afford to go this weekend too !!!!

http://www.fullsizejeeps.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10173/normal_P3160537-1.JPG

http://www.fullsizejeeps.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10173/normal_P3160540-1.jpg
Mike,
Come on down, I'll buy the beer.
You can crash on the floor in my room, I don't care.
Michael and I will be at the Ramada off of I-10 and University Friday night.
Saturday, well, we'll just figure that out.

Michael and I will give a full trip report.
I have three plans/goals, none of them involve the 4/5 rated trails you see in the links before, unless it just happens to be in the way.
That's for later and when you/we/us all have help on the trail.

1. Scope out the area (Sam has already provided some guidance, thanks Sam).
2. Make sure that FSJ folks with stock rigs have some place to go (possible camping/facilities/closeness to services).
3. Have some fun, drink beer (after wheelin' of course) and make it back with not to much broken stuff.

12 hours and I am out of here.
VACATION....

Michael
03-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Boy I would love to see that rig in action this weekend. Come on out....I can help with some $$ and a room if you need, I will be at the Ramada saturday night too. Get ahold of Sam and bring him with you. He said he might be able to come when I talked to him a few days ago.

Tad
03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Boy I would love to see that rig in action this weekend. Come on out....I can help with some $$ and a room if you need, I will be at the Ramada saturday night too. Get ahold of Sam and bring him with you. He said he might be able to come when I talked to him a few days ago.

I agree,
Come, we are already there.
No big deal to cram another in a rig/room (of couse I have no back seat).
Mike/Sam I can help also with $$.
As my hero (once) said...
COME ON DOWN

bigun
03-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Dang I should tootle on down there except I have a ton of work to do on the home spread for mom before I head back out to make money to pour into Crom!

Sambo
03-20-2008, 02:38 PM
sorry fellas i got stuck by my boss! he changed our callout list! i had a few choice words for him(along with other co workers:mad:) i am on call this weekend

Guadzilla
03-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Me Too :mad: I've gotta work Saturday so I'm not able to make it either...How ever I do have the October run set aside 4 sure ...My next project is getting the 700r4 bolted in and Then I'll be ready ....Guadzilla ain't no "trailer queen" no more....If I can't drive it to Cruces It Ain't goin' :drivin: Crusin' at 2000 rpm down the highway is more to my likein' :D Especially when It comes time to fill 'er up :thumbsup:

Michael
03-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Well I just want to say thanks to Tad for driving me around this past weekend and helping me polish up the directions of where these trails were. Here are some pics. I hope to make one more trip closer to summer out there then we can finalize all the details. Maybe we can get more locals involved...

All in all we did get a lot accomplished. Learned what to do and what not to do(a very long story). Enjoy the pics. I cannot wait until October.

And if anyone is wondering. There is more than enough of just trail riding in the valley so if you have a stock rig on 31's minimum and would like to give it a try do it there is plenty for 31's on up.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/87redwag/CSC_0290.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/87redwag/DSC_0274.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/87redwag/DSC_0275.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/87redwag/DSC_0280.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/87redwag/DSC_0281.jpg

Sambo
03-23-2008, 05:44 PM
kewl looks like y'all found the right place:thumbsup:

Tad
03-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Well I just want to say thanks to Tad for driving me around this past weekend and helping me polish up the directions of where these trails were... It was my pleasure, I'll be happy to go again.
Michael is a great traveing companion, one excellent spotter and an outstanding beer drinker.

...Learned what to do and what not to do(a very long story)...
It's not long:
Do not listen to Tad :o
Do not keep turing towards the south, unless you like dead cows, pecans and locked gates.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

kewl looks like y'all found the right place:thumbsup:
Pretty sure that is your wall about 100 yards in front of me and the Rubicons?

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/10Jaleapeno4.jpg

I'm probably never going to have a rig that will do that wall, but it was dam cool to see it and walk it :fsj:

EDIT:
Michael it was 12.25 gallons over 7 hours, not bad at all.

Michael
03-23-2008, 07:59 PM
It was my pleasure, I'll be happy to go again.
Michael is a great traveing companion, one excellent spotter and an outstanding beer drinker.

It's not long:
Do not listen to Tad :o
Do not keep turing towards the south, unless you like dead cows, pecans and locked gates.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pretty sure that is your wall about 100 yards in front of me and the Rubicons?

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/10Jaleapeno4.jpg

I'm probably never going to have a rig that will do that wall, but it was dam cool to see it and walk it :fsj:

EDIT:
Michael it was 12.25 gallons over 7 hours, not bad at all.

ROFLMAO....

Oh Tad....I loaded the plane this morning to find out it was broken...I sat in El Paso until noon waiting for them to fix the plane I was on. I did not get home until 3 pm or so this afternoon....:eek:

Tad
03-23-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm sorry, that sucks.
I hope they comp'ed you some bar time at least?

Anyway:
If you and/or others are going back in the summer for more recon, I'll be happy to come back again and prowl.
Besides a few issues that made noise but never left us stranded/stalled/stopped, I think the 38 year old big stinky jeep did pretty well.
I was very happy to be there, I'll be happy to be there again.

Tad
03-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Now that I have some sleep and the dust brushed off my teeth here are some of the other pic's.

As usual janie came and visited my rig the night before.
If it's less than a pint I say run with it :)
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/01Janie.jpg

On the east side of I-25, the Dona Anna area, pretty rock.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/02pretty.jpg

Dona Anna again.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/03DonnAnna1.jpg

And again.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/04DonnaAnna2.jpg

View of the Las Cruces Valley from Dona Anna.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/05DonnaAnna3.jpg

One last Dona Anna.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/06DonnaAnna4.jpg

Now over on the west side of I-25/Rio Grande.
was supposed to be the Jalapeno area but there are so many trails we were quickly down into the canyon(s) and onto other trails.
I know it's not a FSJ but the two Rubicons from ElPaso/Ft. Bliss were our only company.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/07Jaleapeno1.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/08Jaleapeno2.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/09Jaleapeno3.jpg

Gives you a good idea of the terrain in the canyon bottoms anyway.

A view from above.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Trails/SilverCrucesMarch2008/11Jaleapeno5.jpg

fulsizjeep
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Wagoneer/michaelpic1.jpgVery Nice photo op! :thumbsup:
That ATF puddle was small. :D
Thanks for the footwork guys. Looks like it was pretty good fun. Glad the old beasty is doing well for you Tad. :thumbsup:

Michael
04-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Here are some things I suggest you bring with you on the trip. Minimum requirements since Tad and I made a run out there a couple of weeks ago. We did not get to see a lot since we were limited on time but we did see enough.

33's minimum for the rocks
31's if you want to just do trail riding through the valley "lots of those"

At least one locker
Recommend both

Highly recommend good tires, the rocks are sharp and very loose. Mud terrain at minimum, you could do the valleys with at's

Recovery points front and rear

Recovery straps and or winch

Rocker protection, not mandatory but possibly will get some damage on some of the trails.

Hi lift jack

As far as parts well:

Spare Ujoints and or drive shafts, at minimum ujoints
Spare yokes are handy as well.

Tire plug kit

Spare tire/wheels, I suggest more than one if you have space.

Water Water Water Water....did I say bring water. You never know out there when your rig will need it or you will.

I think some extra fuel would be helpful

Tools, just bring what you can load(I am sure I do not need to go into detail)

The temperatures can change quickly, I would make sure you dress in layers because mornings are cold and afternoons are very warm.

This is going to be a great trip. If there is anything I may have missed let me know...I am sure I did miss something.

I will keep you updated as our t-shirts progress, as for now nothing new but I still have time.:D

Tad
04-03-2008, 09:35 PM
My .02 are in blue:

Here are some things I suggest you bring with you on the trip. Minimum requirements since Tad and I made a run out there a couple of weeks ago. We did not get to see a lot since we were limited on time but we did see enough.

33's minimum for the rocks
31's if you want to just do trail riding through the valley "lots of those"
There are a great many ridge roads also, 31's will be fine there but keep reading.

At least one locker
Recommend both
I was not locked up front but it would make the shifting from low to high less frequent.

Highly recommend good tires, the rocks are sharp and very loose. Mud terrain at minimum, you could do the valleys with at's.
YES!
I didn't loose a tire but will bring 2 spares next time, this is no place to find a close tire shop.

Recovery points front and rear.
Yes!
Or at least know where someone can attach to you to yank you off that last rock and know how to attach quickly, there is not much backing up and turning around in many places.

Recovery straps and or winch.
I would not leave home without them.

Rocker protection, not mandatory but possibly will get some damage on some of the trails.
You are going to have a lot of pinstriping also (who cares).
It's some thorny stuff, looks like scrub mesquite that never get more that 4' tall, weird plants.

Hi lift jack.
Oh Yeah.

As far as parts well:

Spare Ujoints and or drive shafts, at minimum ujoints
Spare yokes are handy as well.

Tire plug kit

Spare tire/wheels, I suggest more than one if you have space.

Water Water Water Water....did I say bring water. You never know out there when your rig will need it or you will.

I think some extra fuel would be helpful

Tools, just bring what you can load(I am sure I do not need to go into detail)

The temperatures can change quickly, I would make sure you dress in layers because mornings are cold and afternoons are very warm.
All of that last part is more than accurate, I even carry spare ball joints and the tools to swap them along with a spare front main spring.

This is going to be a great trip. If there is anything I may have missed let me know...I am sure I did miss something.

I will keep you updated as our t-shirts progress, as for now nothing new but I still have time.:D
I'd like to do another recon with you Michael when it's warmer.
Just to see the temp change and also recheck that valley for trailers/camping with the local officials.

Slick Willie
04-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Nice work guys! Glad you got to check it out so early. I'll be ready for the summer run whenever y'all go, at least to tag along and help with the beer drinking. Maybe I'll tow the Wag, we'll see.

Did y'all meet up with FireSnake?

Michael
04-21-2008, 07:16 PM
No we did not hook up with firesnake....

The last time I went out there I flew out and rented a car and hooked up with Tad, did a lot of drinking the night before and hit the trails on Saturday it was a quick trip.

I would like to make one more trip when do you all want to do it? I would plan on flying out there, maybe we can go together Will??? I do not see me taking my wag out there although it is possible, if we plan enough time. But I am fixin to get into my busy time at work so taking time off is easy enough but I will be missing out on some good $$$$ if I do.

I still have a bunch of work to do to the wag here is my update,

Finish Hydro boost
Finish intalling agr gear box( waiting on steering shaft....stripped out after last gilmer run)
Install the agr pwr steering pump
Install my dual battery kit
And test it all out.

I am planning a trip to Gilmer when I get it done. Just a bit of a test run to see how the wag is doing. Do you have any interest in that Will? I know it is close to you.

Tad
04-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I would like to make one more trip when do you all want to do it? For me it woud have to be late June/early July, prior to Ouray.
Once I get back from Ouray I go into training (like not even one day grace) and then get slam dunked into the new school year.

janie
04-21-2008, 08:25 PM
I've changed my mind on mailing items for the raffle. Decided it would be much more fun to drop these off in person. Already put in for vacation that weekend in October.

I'll see ya'all there.

shimniok
04-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Hm, interesting... Donno if I can pull off this and Ouray and vacation etc. (only so much vaca time, $, etc) :D

But will keep it on the radar. Would love to get TC a little further south...

Altho right now I'll be lucky to get the rig 5 miles south to the emissions center without it stalling and stranding me again. :rolleyes:

Michael

Slick Willie
04-22-2008, 07:43 AM
I would like to make one more trip when do you all want to do it? I would plan on flying out there, maybe we can go together Will??? I do not see me taking my wag out there although it is possible, if we plan enough time. But I am fixin to get into my busy time at work so taking time off is easy enough but I will be missing out on some good $$$$ if I do.

I still have a bunch of work to do to the wag here is my update,

Finish Hydro boost
Finish intalling agr gear box( waiting on steering shaft....stripped out after last gilmer run)
Install the agr pwr steering pump
Install my dual battery kit
And test it all out.

I am planning a trip to Gilmer when I get it done. Just a bit of a test run to see how the wag is doing. Do you have any interest in that Will? I know it is close to you.

I'm down for whenever. I plan my weekends about 2 weeks in advance. :D

The new diesel has plenty of towing power, so hauling out there won't slow me down much from regular driving (especially compared to what it used to slow me down), so if the Wag runs great, I'll tow it out there.

I'll be done with my axle shaft replacement job before the weekend's up, so then all I really have is full hydro. That'll be done before the end of May for sure, hopefully around the middle of May.

Then, of course, I'll have to take it to Gilmer to push some bolders aside with my front tires. :thumbsup: I'll keep my #2 thread updated as to the progress of the two mods, and then we'll discuss the trip to Gilmer. Although, I bet if we plan it, we might get motivated to giddy up...

Michael
04-22-2008, 05:23 PM
I've changed my mind on mailing items for the raffle. Decided it would be much more fun to drop these off in person. Already put in for vacation that weekend in October.

I'll see ya'all there.

Now Janie that would be great.....sounds like we may have a Texas convoy

Sambo
04-22-2008, 06:19 PM
just curious about y'alls diesel prices...just last week in elpaso is was $5.00 a gallon
heck for my gas f150 it cost me $110 to fill

Michael
04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
4.15-4.25 a gallon here. Expecting 5.00 by the end of next week.

This will be an expensive trip if prices keep rising........I get about 13-14mpg @ 80mph pulling the wag and all my gear so......but it is worth it.

I bought an old beater car two weeks ago so my 04' Cummins in retired from daily duty at 105,000 on the ticker. The beater is getting 30-32 in town now and 40mpg on highway cannot beat that and saved .75-1.00 a gallon not bad for a car with 190,000 on it.

Sambo
04-26-2008, 07:36 AM
best way to keep track this way would be to check Flying J truck stop fuels!
theres one at tex/newmex state line! which is where i try to fuel up if possible when headed that way!

Slick Willie
05-11-2008, 08:32 PM
I just ordered my toolbox/fuel tank Friday, it should be in Tuesday. Then I'll have a toolbox and an extra 45 gallons of diesel!

If you're wondering why I'm getting this, it's because I'm bored with filling up with $110 worth of fuel...I'd rather spend $300 each time!

bigun
05-11-2008, 10:37 PM
I just ordered my toolbox/fuel tank Friday, it should be in Tuesday. Then I'll have a toolbox and an extra 45 gallons of diesel!

If you're wondering why I'm getting this, it's because I'm bored with filling up with $110 worth of fuel...I'd rather spend $300 each time!

:eek::funny::funny::lol::lol::lol:

Michael
05-16-2008, 08:11 PM

Cool I know where I can fill up if I run out of fuel on the way down there...LOL

Michael
05-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Well I am getting close I know it is early but I do not want last minute details, trying to get everything done before it gets hot here, I am sure it will be around 100 degrees soon supposed to be close by the end of the week. Anyway, here is what I have done:

Installed Hydroboost, thanks Elliot.
New AGR steering gear
New AGR Steering pump
Rock sliders
Dual batteries installed
ummmmm well all I have to do is make a few trail runs and hope nothing else breaks.

Not sure what everyone else's status is but that is mine. Now I just need to gather some spare parts. I have plenty of time so it will not affect my so called budget.

Slick Willie
05-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Here's my to do list, but most can wait if they have to:

Install new front shafts
Gather parts for Full Hydro, install
Finish cooler doors
Change tranny fluid and filter and fix leaks in lines
Add a few pieces of tubing to the cage
Make new fenders for the rear
Make and install rear trac bar
Weld a few new brackets onto trailer, wait...buy a long flatbed gooseneck
Shocks? maybe

We'll test out our rigs next weekend, but I'll need another run after Hydro, hopefully before the early summer NM run.

Sambo
05-22-2008, 08:25 AM
my to do list:
steal getaway car
rob bank for gas money/jeep parts
ditch car
buy jeep parts online
install jeep parts
build rollcage!

no really i just got mine up and running after a 2 week vacation(no cam/dizzy gear) gotter fixed yesterday...only took 6 hrs... tear to motors down,fix one!
man i am getting good at this junk!:D

Rich-Sky
05-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Just got my first FSJ and you all are headed my way. It's not ready for any trails but Ill be there to see yall's Jeeps. If you need any info or help, just ask. I am in Las Cruces just about every day.

bigun
05-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Just got my first FSJ and you all are headed my way. It's not ready for any trails but Ill be there to see yall's Jeeps. If you need any info or help, just ask. I am in Las Cruces just about every day.
Welcome to the addiction you have plenty of time to get'er ready for a little trail work. Not all the rigs are hard core off roaders so I am sure there will be trails done that you can go on. Black bart has 6 weeks to get Crom ready for Ouray, luckly enough I go back to work next week so I can start funneling money to him

Ugly Truck Nut
05-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Welcome aboard.

Slick Willie
05-23-2008, 12:58 PM

You should not only see the jeeps, but you should ride with some of us. I'm sure they'll be seats open, and I know it will definately be a good time!

Michael
05-23-2008, 08:25 PM

Yes to what everyone else said. I tell you this. Tad and I spent about 7 hours on the trails in March. We did notice one thing, there are plenty of trails for stock rigs to run, as long as you have some good all terrains. On top of the Valleys there are just trail rides galore if you just want to be offroad on a dirt road.

Sambo
05-26-2008, 03:30 PM
i will say one thing,everyone should have a CB in their rig! cause one can get a bit lost...cause like micheal said there ARE roads everywhere thru the robledo mountains!

about 15/20 miles north to south if not more! i have been as far as Radium Springs for "Broad Canyon" trail and one could get turned around...

if not a cb at least go buy some FRS/GMRS radios! cause i carry those as well;)

Guadzilla
05-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Another thing I always found handy is a GPS and a topo map....I'll have mine fired up during a run and can usually tell where I am and how close I am to getting back to camp....I found my last GPS (garmin V) on E-bay for less than $100, and it was in new condition....

Guadzilla is getting a bit closer to being done :thumbsup: Still got to get the 700r4, aluminum radiator and electric fan and roll cage installed ...I found a place in PA( http://www.swracecars.com/corp/contact.asp )that will bend up a 10 point and notch it for $339 + shipping ...I'm now in the process of making up the templates and figuring the angles and dimension to get it made ....If anyone is interested I can send you the worksheets that will get you started....

Glad to see you got yours running again Sam :fsj: If you need any help robbing that bank let me know....Maybe if we steal a FSJ for a getaway car, we can just part it out instead of ditching it :D

Tad
05-27-2008, 05:35 AM
i will say one thing,everyone should have a CB in their rig! cause one can get a bit lost...cause like micheal said there ARE roads everywhere thru the robledo mountains!

about 15/20 miles north to south if not more! i have been as far as Radium Springs for "Broad Canyon" trail and one could get turned around...

if not a cb at least go buy some FRS/GMRS radios! cause i carry those as well;) This is something I have ignored, I need to get my CB replaced (got toasted about 1.5 years ago) I'll work on that this week.
I think those ridge trails will take you all the way south to I-10, at one point Michael and I could see the airport water tower, maybe 5 miles away.

wickedwagon767
06-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I voted for the latest october dates because I don't know when Sinjin will be wheelable at the moment.

If the Wag isn't running by then,I may have to resport to 'hitching off one of the big freeways.

Maybe I'll be able to flag down Michael or Will on their way:D

I"ll be the white boy holding up the sign that reads "Las Cruces or Bust"

I could wear something more revealing.....if that will help:eek:

janie
06-01-2008, 05:58 AM
I voted for the latest october dates because I don't know when Sinjin will be wheelable at the moment.

If the Wag isn't running by then,I may have to resport to 'hitching off one of the big freeways.

Or you could meet Bill and I at Love Field and fly to El Paso with us. That's the only way were going to be able to do this. Pounding out 1400 miles over a long weekend while dragging a rig behind us just ain't gonna work.

Michael
06-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Cummmon Janie where is your sense of adventure??????

dd76522
06-01-2008, 06:07 PM
hell man we're plannin goin if you can't roll you're more than welcome to ride with us and hell if i can figure a big enough trailer out before then we might have enough room to drag another fsj behind the dodge too no guarantees on the trailer though:D

Michael
06-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Billy I am sure there will be some room. I am sure Will has another seat in his fancy truck. Mine will almost be full I will have room for one more. But I am sure it will not be very comfortable.

Slick Willie
06-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah Billy, I should have plenty of room for passengers in the truck and wag. The truck holds 6, and the wag holds 4.

Michael
06-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Alright here is another roll call. I know the interest was pretty big for this a few months ago. Along with gas prices being less.....:banghead: So, after a few months of thinking about this what hardcore fsjers still plan on attending?

Heimeken
06-26-2008, 07:23 PM
I think we should probably start a new thread right around two months before the event. Even that far out there is going to be more drop outs than drop-ins. That is usually the way it goes. I'm pretty much ready now, but there is always work to do when preparing for these types of trails.

So, I'm still in:thumbsup:

grand_wag_85
06-26-2008, 08:43 PM
I'll prolly have a lift on the Waggy by then, definate maybe here.

shimniok
06-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Alright here is another roll call. I know the interest was pretty big for this a few months ago. Along with gas prices being less.....:banghead: So, after a few months of thinking about this what hardcore fsjers still plan on attending?

It sounds like fun... mark me down as tentative. Bunch of factors to consider but would like to go.

fulsizjeep
06-27-2008, 06:37 AM
I dunno about hardcore or not, but it is still on our calendar. It will be easier to know for sure around mid August.

jepj2000
06-30-2008, 07:10 PM
I've started the D60 swap on the J10 so hopefully it will be ready to test out on some NM trails.

So far it's still a go for me.:thumbsup:

Rankin

Slick Willie
07-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Well, my tow rig is now ready to haul @$$ for miles before stopping! Still gotta do some stuff to the Wag, but I'm still in.

http://longhornoffroad.com/garage/gallery212/d/4022-2/101_0775.JPG

http://longhornoffroad.com/garage/gallery212/d/4028-2/101_0776.JPG

bigun
07-01-2008, 10:16 PM
still on for me

janie
07-02-2008, 07:13 AM
still on for me

Us too. Will, the pic of the gas pump made me squirm.:)

Tad
07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm still looking good also.
Only thing that can screw it up would be work related.

Ugly Truck Nut
07-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Well, if I can have the truck in reasonable shape by then, I'm in. Should be riding solo, not counting the hounds if I decide to take them, so I'll have room for some passengers. The dogs are small and very vocal but they won't take up much space. Whoever rides up front may have to share part of their seat, not sure they will ride in the back because they love to be with me. I'm thinking of taking that Friday off, so if anyone flies into El Paso early needing to head up to Las Cruces I should be ready to go. Are people making lodging reservations or camping out? I'm trying to decide if I want to bother staying there overnight, or just making the drive. What kind of after hours social events are planned?

Things to do:

Lift - 6 inch Hell Creek with 1 1/2" BJ's shackles and 1 1/2" blocks in the rear.

Tires, was thinking 33's, but now I'm thinking, why not hack the fenders and run 35's on 15x8 inch rims.

The P.O. put JB weld on a hole in the top of the radiator and it has a pin hole leak, so I need to take care of that.

Need to have the truck kind of checked out to make sure it's in adequate shape, kind of has a stumble during idle and cuts out under acceleration.

jepj2000
07-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Well, my tow rig is now ready to haul @$$ for miles before stopping! Still gotta do some stuff to the Wag, but I'm still in.

http://longhornoffroad.com/garage/gallery212/d/4022-2/101_0775.JPG

http://longhornoffroad.com/garage/gallery212/d/4028-2/101_0776.JPG

Wow that hurts!:banghead: What kind of MPGs are you getting in the new truck?

Rankin

Slick Willie
07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Terrible. I'm averaging 12.3, but I did a couple of "test tanks" where I babied the acceleration, and drove straight highway at 65 mph (compared to 75-80) for a full tank, and I got 13.8 mpg. :cry:

Michael
07-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Terrible. I'm averaging 12.3, but I did a couple of "test tanks" where I babied the acceleration, and drove straight highway at 65 mph (compared to 75-80) for a full tank, and I got 13.8 mpg. :cry:

Dam* Will. I get that pulling my heavy a@@ trailer and wag..... 13.8 fully loaded....10klbs. 20mpg highway unloaded 16 around town. But mine has 100k miles on it and is just now starting to get broken in a bit.

Michael
07-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, if I can have the truck in reasonable shape by then, I'm in. Should be riding solo, not counting the hounds if I decide to take them, so I'll have room for some passengers. The dogs are small and very vocal but they won't take up much space. Whoever rides up front may have to share part of their seat, not sure they will ride in the back because they love to be with me. I'm thinking of taking that Friday off, so if anyone flies into El Paso early needing to head up to Las Cruces I should be ready to go. Are people making lodging reservations or camping out? I'm trying to decide if I want to bother staying there overnight, or just making the drive. What kind of after hours social events are planned?

Things to do:

Lift - 6 inch Hell Creek with 1 1/2" BJ's shackles and 1 1/2" blocks in the rear.

Tires, was thinking 33's, but now I'm thinking, why not hack the fenders and run 35's on 15x8 inch rims.

The P.O. put JB weld on a hole in the top of the radiator and it has a pin hole leak, so I need to take care of that.

Need to have the truck kind of checked out to make sure it's in adequate shape, kind of has a stumble during idle and cuts out under acceleration.

As far as lodging plans. I will probably head out Thursday morning early, stay Thursday night somewhere, depending on speed possibly in Las Cruces, Camp Friday, Saturday night, hotel it Sunday and head out early Monday morning. As far as activities in the evening. Probably will end up around a camp fire talking fsjs to weeeee hours of the morning and sipping some cactus juice from south of the border. How does that sound to everyone?

Sambo
07-05-2008, 01:13 PM
man my last trip to las cruces i averaged 11.5 round trip with my 1/2ton supercrew which has the 300 hp 5.4:rolleyes:
i get around 17/18 on high way unloaded if i keep her under 70mph

sounds great michael,but i will pass on the cactus juice...i'll stick to my hoppes and barley flavored natural spirits...
we'll probly campout all of the days,unless rain happens to fall...

misfittom138
07-05-2008, 08:45 PM
With any luck I will be there. As long as I finish the hardcore stuff and the wife's job situation gets worked out.

jepj2000
07-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Ouch, thats what my used and abused CCSB 2500HD 6.0L gas w/100k+ pushing 35s gets around town.

I'm planning on camping for the weekend, I guess which would be Friday and Saturday night for sure, won't know about Thurs until school starts up for the fall.

Rankin

janie
07-07-2008, 07:28 AM
We plan on flying to El Paso on Thursday and spending the night there. Leave Friday a.m. for Las Cruces in rental Jeep that we'll try to return with no damage............

We'll be moteling it Friday and Saturday, fly home on Sunday.

HOOT
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
We plan on flying to El Paso on Thursday and spending the night there. Leave Friday a.m. for Las Cruces in rental Jeep that we'll try to return with no damage............

We'll be moteling it Friday and Saturday, fly home on Sunday.

You should bring "Tequilla" but if you must fly and rent go ahead and pay the few extra bucks for the coverage and beat the crap out of it if you want. Nothing like no questions asked at return;) .

Everytime I think of that rental claus I flash back to my honeymoon when we rented a 4X4 in Los Angeles and beat the living crap out of it for a week looping up throughNevada, Utah and back down around through Phoenix and then back to LA. The guy at Hertz about died when we pulled in after a bad night of offroading through Joshua Tree National Monument. He pulled the tree branches out of the roof rack and commented us on the newly added pin stripes that covered the entire vehicle.He even dusted off the suitcases for us. The dents on the skid plates and bent under carriage components was unreal,but wow did I have fun. The new wifey poo not so much. She tried to sell the Honcho upon returning home.I got rid of her instead shortly after that.

bigun
07-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Man this gathering seems to be building a little momentum

shimniok
07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Well... now that I've missed Ouray... :( ... I am going to try to do this shindig instead.

janie
07-19-2008, 08:21 AM
You should bring "Tequilla" but if you must fly and rent go ahead and pay the few extra bucks for the coverage and beat the crap out of it if you want. Nothing like no questions asked at return;) .

Tom, I wish we could, but it's just to far of a haul for a short weekend. 1400 miles in 3 days is to much for this sissy.;)

Yup, we'll take out the extra coverage. We are so looking forward to this.

Michael
07-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Janie....I will be hauling my trailer soooooooo do we need to round up some tires worth a crud and some wheels for a baby jeep so you can play on the trails without a tire going flat?

jepj2000
07-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Tom, I wish we could, but it's just to far of a haul for a short weekend. 1400 miles in 3 days is to much for this sissy.;)

Yup, we'll take out the extra coverage. We are so looking forward to this.

Oh come on Janie, 1400 in 3 days is nothing and its only one state over, thats not bad at all. Plus you need to break in the 2500HD with a good tow.

I guess while I'm thinking about it how does the camping work out there? Do you you just pop a tent where ever or do you need to make plans better than that?

Rankin

tankgirl
07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Sounds like a blast. I'm in Albuquerque, not too far away, and I'd love to meet up with y'all. I might need some skills learning on the 4wheelin, since most of my skills are on snow, not rocks!:fsj:

fulsizjeep
07-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Well... now that I've missed Ouray... :( ... I am going to try to do this shindig instead.That sounds like a good ideer! :fsj:

Tad
07-30-2008, 07:35 AM
I guess while I'm thinking about it how does the camping work out there? Do you you just pop a tent where ever or do you need to make plans better than that?

Rankin
Rankin,
I'm very glad you brought this up.
Michael and I noticed at the beginnings of some of the trails, a good deal of trailer/parking areas.
These are sometimes in washes so I'm thinking camping there might not be real smart (rain) or even allowed.
We need some inside help on this.

There is a KOA in Las Cruces:
http://koa.com/where/nm/31105/
I have never seen it in person but it's on the East side of I-25.

mcjeep80
07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
did we set a date? not enough time to look thru and find it (trying to get mine ready lots to do!!!!):thumbsup:

jepj2000
07-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Oct. 18-19 is the weekend.

Rankin

Sambo
07-30-2008, 03:20 PM
tad if we camp over next to the wall we shouldnt get that wet! the water runs off the downhill side rather quikely there!

misfittom138
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM
tad if we camp over next to the wall we shouldnt get that wet! the water runs off the downhill side rather quikely there!

I'm with ya on that idea! :D

Tad
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
we shouldnt get that wet!
Is that like Custer saying "we shouldn't be that dead"

Unless it's in a pool with bathing suits, or something mixed with ice, I do not like water very much.

Michael
07-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Should not get that wet.......hmmmm. I am working on a map so you all can see where it is you are going. I think I have it right. I will be out of town this weekend so hopefully I will get it to Sambo next week to make sure I am right. I have only been there once soooooooooo. But I could get there again with my eyes closed it is that easy.