PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for 130 pages of $#!* Haynes

hcm
05-06-2007, 05:48 PM
What a complete and utter waste of $25.00. I bought this book primarily for the wiring diagrams and electrical information. I needed to know the colour codes for the fuel guage sender and the values of the sender itself. The book said it should be a Tan wire and both my Jeeps have a Purple wire. The book says the sender is M/T 0 ohms and Full would be 110 ohms. On both my Jeeps the values are reversed and are M/T 85 ohms and Full 10 ohms. When my power door locks failed, the book said the wires were Tan and Lt/Green, Mine are all Black and Blue. Could Jeeps reputation for superb build quality have let me down? Could both of mine been built on the Monday after a long weekend? Both are in very much original condition and were not altered or modified.
When i finally bought a reproduction service manual, the quality was good and accurate, but the wiring diagrams were poorly reproduced and printed.The wiring information on oljeep.com is good but is also hard to print into usefull sizes. I am not surprised to see so much hacked up and butchered wiring when good information is not always available.On the bottom of the Haynes Manual is the quote "INCLUDES ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR TODAY'S MORE COMPLEX VEHICLES". I really hope that Haynes doesn't publish manuals for defibrulators, heart monitors and other medical equipment.

TexTJ209
05-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Yup. Haynes and Chilton are both fairly crappy...nice for one or two things, but absolutely worthless compared to the Factory Manuals.

Shaggin' Wagon
05-06-2007, 07:26 PM
I imagine that you at least ingested a few beers during the reading of the manual. That's something........

andy d
05-06-2007, 08:50 PM
for yr specific wiring diagrams search for Tom, ol jeepy, Collins's website. Hint. put your jeep model year, drive train and any mods in your sig and you will get better responses. :thumbsup:

Kali
05-06-2007, 08:55 PM
i only use the haynes/chiltons when im in a rush. they seem slightly easier to navigate. but if i need some real info i always go to the factory manual first.

joe
05-06-2007, 09:15 PM
for yr specific wiring diagrams search for Tom, ol jeepy, Collins's website. Hint. put your jeep model year, drive train and any mods in your sig and you will get better responses. :thumbsup:
Here ya go
http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html
Yeah Haynes/Childrens are terrible manuals. Incomplete and usually wrong. :(

hcm
05-06-2007, 09:39 PM
I've been to the oljeep site for those diagrams. The problem is printing them out for use. I can't print a page that size nor resize them for smaller page size.

TexTJ209
05-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Print sections out, then cut/tape them back into the full-size diagram, thats what I did.

hcm
05-06-2007, 09:45 PM
I haven't tried the print and tape yet. That is worth a try.

Jeepjohnny
05-07-2007, 12:03 AM
I really hope that Haynes doesn't publish manuals for defibrulators, heart monitors and other medical equipment.

:lol: thats so funny, I seriously hope they don't as well!

I agree with TexTJ209, the Haynes and Chilton manuals are good for somethings. And I'm still saving all my pennies for the factory manual (if I can find it) :thumbsup:

TexTJ209
05-07-2007, 01:24 AM
:lol: thats so funny, I seriously hope they don't as well!

I agree with TexTJ209, the Haynes and Chilton manuals are good for somethings. And I'm still saving all my pennies for the factory manual (if I can find it) :thumbsup:

I've gotten both my 77 and my 79 FSMs off of eBay for around $20-30 each. Keep watching and eventually they will appear...

You can't really expect the Haynes or Chilton's to be good though...just read the cover. They cover some 50 years of Jeep vehicles from the Early Gladiators, Wagoneers, FCs, Commandos, Cherokees, etc. They do this in a book half the size of most FSMs, and those only cover one year and four or so vehicle types.

drlocke
05-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Chiltons/Haynes I've found generally to be unsatisfactory. Motor manuals seem to be a cut better. The FSM is the way to go. And ditto about Oljeep; there is some good info there.

gmarblestone
05-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Ok time for me to stick up for them... I am sure they suck, but for a complete novice they are pretty good, at least i have found them somewhat useful. They are not perfect as they cover many years and are wrong, but they give me the overall "jist" of what i need to do and look for... then i come here to ask the questions they dont answer :)

G

derf
05-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Go get a reproduction FSM: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=118

Granted, they're photocopies but they're good quality photocopies. I have one for my Cherokee and it's a very valuable reference.

Even so, I still use my Haynes manual from time to time. It covers a lot of the basics on general maintenance and repair that I forget now and again.

J4GRAND
05-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Yup. Haynes and Chilton are both fairly crappy...nice for one or two things
Emergency toilet paper while out on the trail....

Sambo
05-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Emergency toilet paper while out on the trail....
lol i use mine as a door stop!:thumbsup:

ohioj20
05-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the Haynes and Chilton manuals written and published by the same people? :confused:

ohioj20
05-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Go get a reproduction FSM: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=118

Granted, they're photocopies but they're good quality photocopies. I have one for my Cherokee and it's a very valuable reference.

Even so, I still use my Haynes manual from time to time. It covers a lot of the basics on general maintenance and repair that I forget now and again.

Does the IFSJA discount apply?? the 1990 is a good chunk of change!

TPICherokee
05-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Does the IFSJA discount apply?? the 1990 is a good chunk of change!

Yes, it does apply. Also, remember that the price included shipping.

THanks!

AlsChopShop
05-08-2007, 12:52 PM
i don't think my haynes manual has left the plastic wrap....

fwiw, i've never even opened the TSM either. in past rigs i use the haynes manual fairly regularly, but these jeeps are so simple i just dig in and ask here when i'm in over my head.

Al

drlocke
05-08-2007, 01:22 PM
i don't think my haynes manual has left the plastic wrap....

fwiw, i've never even opened the TSM either. in past rigs i use the haynes manual fairly regularly, but these jeeps are so simple i just dig in and ask here when i'm in over my head.

Al

That they are sanitarily wrapped like that arouses my suspicion every time. Ostensibly it is to keep the new volumes free of grimy fingerprints, but I can't help but think the real reason is that the seller doesn't want you to see how lousy the books are until you've purchased them and taken them home. :rolleyes:

etjeep
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Back on topic....

I agree the Haynes and Chilton are somewhat limited when compared to the FSM. I bought a re-pro FSM (three volumes) about 10 years ago. It was about $80 back then, so stop complaining. It is well used and oil and grease in all the right places. I scored a bound three volume copy for my '78 with a parts vehicle I bought. I keep that one in my den for reading when I have my indoor close on (the married guys will get this).

I also have both Haynes and Chiltons manuals. These are valuable additions to my "getcha back box" and I never go four wheeling without them. If they get trashed during the trip for whatever reason, wet, torn, etc. they are easily replaced for cheap.

I think Haynes is a little better on the electrical and Chiltons is a little better on mechanical. I think the wiring diagrams on all of these manuals leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, I hate those wiring diagrams so much I made my own Full size wiring diagram http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2221210100069564115esynUy

etjeep
05-08-2007, 01:50 PM
....and yes, I was anal enough to pull every wire out of the various looms, wipe them down using the gojo in a rag trick (and they clean right up) and inspect them. I only had one (AFAIK) wire, the oil pressure sender wire that was damaged, must have burned up on the manifold.

AlsChopShop
05-08-2007, 01:59 PM
That they are sanitarily wrapped like that arouses my suspicion every time. Ostensibly it is to keep the new volumes free of grimy fingerprints, but I can't help but think the real reason is that the seller doesn't want you to see how lousy the books are until you've purchased them and taken them home. :rolleyes: i think you may be on to something!! :thumbsup:

Al