• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BRUTUS
    360 AMC
    • Dec 06, 2005

Post-Ouray thread

So I am at my parents house right now posting this.

So here is how my return trip went:

Left KOA at 11:10am and forgot to put my last bits of trash into the trash can (a "sorry" and "thanks" to whomever took care of it for me)

Truck running ok... still have death wobble though not as bad as coming down into Ouray from the south.

Lost my rear license plate (with the tags) somewhere in between Ouray and Montrose.

Truck running ok...

Just outside of Penrose I blew a power steering hose... the low pressure one that rests conveniently on the header ID plate. I tried cutting the bad part out but the good part wasn't long enough to make it to the pump. So I disconnected the ps pump belt.

Start going down the road again and the death wobble insues... not as harsh as I had had earlier so I went with it. It felt like the front end was out of alignment or I had lost some wheel balancing weights. Checked to make sure bolts were tight... tires look good... little warm but not out of the ordinary warm.

So I drive with a wobble from Penrose to Carbondale only about 2 miles outside of Carbondale the front driver tire blows... (will post pics tomorrow) so I pull off the road and start to fix it. 3:20pm I am back on the road into Carbondale. I was supposed to meet the guy with my NV4500 at 1:00pm... oops. Get into Carbondale and find my contact on main street. Call Napa from the library to find out that they close at 4:00pm and it is 3:38pm by now. Napa sells me a quart of power steering fluid and a new PS hose. So I get those installed. Then I go to my contacts storage unit and get the NV4500 and a D44 closed nuckle front and D44 rear (both 5 on 5.50" pattern) loaded up with the door for Badaboom and a 35 x 12.50 x 15 MTR with 90% tread.

Truck running like C**P! Spuddering... stalling... not good. By the time I get 1/4 way up Vail pass I pop my hood and adjust the timing... runs much better now.

Drive all the way to Denver just fine. Arrive at my parents house in Morrison at 8:30pm to find out that the hidden key that I normally use to get into the house is no longer hidden anywhere on the front porch. Make some phone calls and they won't answer their phone. 10:00pm my parents show up to let me into the house to shower... post and go to bed.

I am looking forward to posting all my pics tomorrow. Anyone else have any interesting post-Ouray stories to share? Hopefully the rest of my journey to Badabooms house in SE Denver and then to deliver these C**PPY axles to Lafayette is better than the return trip so far.
    Last edited by BRUTUS; 07-22-2006, 10:53 PM.
    "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
    Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
    Current Homepage Status: RUNNING
  • JeepBountyHunter
    GrimJeeperReaper
    • Jul 08, 2002

Hey looking forward to pic's..
    1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• badaboom
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jun 05, 2001

Thanks for the interesting story, Chitty-Chitty Bang! Bang!
      I hope the rest of your journey is fruitful.

Made it my location left 2:06PM 7/23/2006
      Last edited by badaboom; 07-23-2006, 01:33 PM.
      1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• will e
        Always Broke
        • Nov 16, 2001

Derek and I made it back. No problems with the truck (other than only being able to do 25mph on 8% grades pulling a 3000+ pound trailer).

Found a motorcycle wreck at about 3am. The guy fell asleep and drove it off the road. He was okay but a little shook up. We helped him pick up his stuff while waiting for the 'authorities' to arrive.

Pics soon (maybe we should start a different thread for that?)

Ouray is a great place.
        82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• BRUTUS
          360 AMC
          • Dec 06, 2005

Originally posted by will e
          Derek and I made it back. No problems with the truck (other than only being able to do 25mph on 8% grades pulling a 3000+ pound trailer).

Found a motorcycle wreck at about 3am. The guy fell asleep and drove it off the road. He was okay but a little shook up. We helped him pick up his stuff while waiting for the 'authorities' to arrive.

Pics soon (maybe we should start a different thread for that?)

Ouray is a great place.
          How come you didn't drive over the downed motorcycle?
          "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
          Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
          Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• will e
            Always Broke
            • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by BRUTUS
            How come you didn't drive over the downed motorcycle?
            LOL, it was 'off road' in a 'trails only' area.
            82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Ralph Rogers
              350 Buick
              • Jul 29, 2003

We made it back OK too. We stopped at the wrecked bike and they said they were OK and the paramedics where on the way and they needed no immediate assisrtance, so we wnet on our way. We saw you all stop, but figured they'd say the same thing and you'd keep going.
              Then, just about a mile from the wreck, the Wag engine just died like it was out of fuel. I should of had well ove half a tank (gauge quit working). Dumped in the jerry can and when I got to Payson it only took 9 gallons.
              So I don't know what happened. Funny thing is, thats exactly what happened up on Imogene that sent us barrelling down the mountain backwards.
              We had a wonderful time and met wonderful folks. Can't wait til next year!!
              Ralph

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

Hey Ralph, yeah we saw you stop. The guys who stopped to help had given the wrong mile marker to 911. After hanging out for about 1/2 hour to help pick up the stuff and ask Wayne some questions (What's your name, who is the president, what year is this). He got the last one wrong, he thought it was 1999. LOL. I also asked if he was diabetic and on any meds (good to know if he passes out before the medics show up). Anyways, Derek and I left and managed to get a cell signal about 10 miles away. The police had gone to the wrong location.

Derek got Waynes contact info and called him later. Wayne is okay.

Sorry to hear you had problems. We made it uneventful after that. We stopped at the rest stop and took a quick 1 hour nap.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                  Señor Jackhead
                  • Aug 21, 2002

Glad to hear from some of you and that you got home OK. We stopped by Glen's camp on the way out and he was off to the showers or something so did not get to say good bye. I imagine they left KOA yesterday sometime as well.

We had an uneventful trip home except for the Lexus SUV passing us on a double yellow. Later I caught up with him and tried to draft him down the mountain for a while. They must have got nervous because they really took off after that.

OH, and the "new" rebuilt Quadratrac in Krista's Waggy pooped all over itself 1 mile from home and Wally pulled Phoebe and Krista to the driveway.
                  Last edited by fulsizjeep; 07-24-2006, 12:37 PM.
                  Flint
                  Ran when parked.
                  http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                  88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                  76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                  http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Ralph Rogers
                    350 Buick
                    • Jul 29, 2003

I saw another guy was already stopped and the cycle guy was up and around and they said they had help on the way so I left. I was pretty tired and didn't want to hang out if I didn't have too.
                    The problem I had was no big deal. Only took 10 min or so to pour in the can, even though it turned out I didn't need it, and be on my way. Just strange.

Ralph

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                      Señor Jackhead
                      • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by Ralph Rogers
                      I saw another guy was already stopped and the cycle guy was up and around and they said they had help on the way so I left. I was pretty tired and didn't want to hang out if I didn't have too.
                      The problem I had was no big deal. Only took 10 min or so to pour in the can, even though it turned out I didn't need it, and be on my way. Just strange.

Ralph
                      Maybe the sock filter came off the pickup tube?
                      Flint
                      Ran when parked.
                      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• uglyjeepling
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 01, 2003

My trip was very uneventful I guess. The only thing is that my tires became a little more noisy. M/T's dont like the pavement much I guess.

Oh and I got to spew gas out of my gas cap all over an impatient Lexus driver on an incline after I refueled. He had just passed a semi on a double yellow almost heading on another driver. Then he was right on my butt waving his hands to get over and giving me the one finger hello.

Ralph, That problem youre have is very weird. Hope it can be found and fixed.

Ouray is the greatest!
                        Matt 'Captain 'insert new stupid thing I did here''

"H2's are like sphincters, they're all crappy...and now Chinese."

'79 WT Cherokee, Black Stock Rims, BJ's Aluminum Radiator, 31" Firestone Destination M/T, PowerTrax No-Slip Locker, Hurculined passenger area, Holley Electronic Fuel Pump, TFI!!

'64 Mercury Comet Cyclone. Stock.

Comment

Originally posted by uglyjeepling
                          He had just passed a semi on a double yellow almost heading on another driver. Then he was right on my butt waving his hands to get over and giving me the one finger hello.
                          That jackass was making the rounds! He passed us on double yellows and squeezed so close in front of me that I was litterally inches from his bumper. What an a$$.
                          Krista - High Priestess of Our Lady of Eternal Combustion
                          77 401 Wag "Phoebe" ~ 77 401 J20 "Artemis" ~ 76 401 SOA Wag "Luna"
                          The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...

Comment

• bigun
                            • Feb 10, 2003

Other than getting wet while refueling we had no problems on the way home. When we got in Craig's dad told him I hope your rested because the track loader needs the tracks fixed!
                            Twas great to see you all again!!!!
                            charlie
                            KB0HXA
                            "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                            congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                            How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                            Robert A. Heinlein
                            The birth of CROM is recorded here
                            http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• flatbackdragon
                              304 AMC
                              • Aug 22, 2003

glad all made it home ok.
                              only problem was with Sues' Larado, got home, moved other vehicles to back in camper and it wouldn't restart. Never got over 200 deg on way home, fuel rails pressurized-sometimes not, maybe that pump does need replaced. Bled rails until no pressure, let it sit til Mon eve when got off work, tested rails-full pressure before inserting key-and it fired right up. This thing is driving me nuts with its qwerks!
                              "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
                              Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
                              Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

Working...
                              X