PDA

View Full Version : Gasgacinch sealant substitute?

hogwagon
05-12-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm hoping to install my new Edelbrock Performer intake on my 85 GW. The instruction recommend gasgacinch sealant or equivalent. Does anyone know what the equivalent is? I really don't have time to order gasgacinch.

Arborigine
05-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Hylomar is the only thing out there that is proof to modern fuels with alcohols.
Gaskacinch is one of the best, It allows things to be taken apart without tearing the gaskets. .
I started using it in the 70s building Porsche engines, plus the label is so politically incorrect it is art.

hogwagon
05-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Is Permatex brush-on Hi Tack gasket sealant (P/N 80063) that comes in a can a suitable substitute?

donwag
05-13-2006, 08:44 AM
You can find Gaskachinch at many auto parts stores. CarQuest carries it here.

Hylomar works well.

Use RTV on the intake to head if you can't find what you want. It will work.

joe
05-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Any of the goop made by ThreeBond is good stuff. It's re-labeled for various vendors and sold as Yamabond 3, Hondabond 3, etc.

Ristow
05-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Any of the goop made by ThreeBond is good stuff. It's re-labeled for various vendors and sold as Yamabond 3, Hondabond 3, etc.

i have a yamaha dealer near me,so i get the yamabond,best stuff i've used,and i've tried everything i can find.

the yamabond will actually seal up a british motorcycle!

joe
05-13-2006, 09:11 AM
the yamabond will actually seal up a british motorcycle!
Yup and old Harleys too!;)

Arborigine
05-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Use RTV on the intake to head if you can't find what you want. It will work.

While it is acceptable to use a THIN film of RTV on the manifold where water passes thru, do not use it on the intake ports. Silicon sealant is not fuel proof. It will melt. There is no brand of silicon sealant that i am aware of that is intended for use on fuel systems or exhaust. If you have a manifold with rubber/cork bars under the ends, those will probably slide out if silicon is used there.
Gaskacinch would be my first choice, Hi-Tack or Hylomar would be my second choice, followed by #2 Permatex