• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOE.C
    232 I6
    • Jul 16, 2000

AIR INJECTION ??

are the air injection tubes necessary for peak performance or are they just for emissions, there are no emission tests for vehicles over 15 yrs old in massachusetts so what if i just stick the banjo bolts back in will that be okay or i have to rebuild the old ones, new ones cost 58.00 + shipping , thanks for the help.

Rip 'em outta there!!! Find some short bolts that will thread into the holes and seal 'em up... all will be fine. IF you still have the rest of the smog crap on there rip it off,too.. like the air pump and the anti-backfire valve. My pump never worked from the get-go. Leas drag on the motor without the air pump, too.

------------------
    TJ
    78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
    360/TH400/QT
    Dana 44's (soon to be 4.88's)
    7" SOA conversion
    4" Skyjacker Softride
    3" Trailmaster Bodylift
    33x12.50's on 15x10's
    (soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
    My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
    "Where there's a hill...there's a way!"
    Todd
    www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• lanierboy
      258 I6
      • Apr 25, 2000

I pulled mine off and stuck some 9/16 fine thread bolts in their place. Unfortunately, the shortest ones I could find at the local hardware store were 1" but, they are doing fine. Or at least fine on the passenger side. On the drivers side, the banjo bolts all sheard. I attempted to remove one with a 1/4" bolt extractor but is broke and the extractor is doubling as a plug. Still a little exhaust gets by, but not too much. For the other to sheard banjo bolts on the drivers side, I tapped them out and screwed in a 5/16 bolt. One of these days I'll attempt to pull out the manifold and drill out the old banjo bolts but that's a job I'm not ready to tackle at this time.

Good Luck.
      1987 GW <b>\"Christine\"</b><br />AMC360 / NP229 / TF727<br />Holley Projection 2bbl<br />TFI Ignition upgrade<br />MSD Ignition<br />Skyjacker 4\" Spring lift<br />GoodYear Workhorse 31/10.5<br /><a href=\"http://members.home.net/lanierboy/\" target=\"_blank\">My Web</a>

Comment

• irbob
        360 AMC
        • Apr 11, 2000

We don't have emissions here(yet) but I can see it coming a mile away so better safe than sorry, I'll keep mine together.

Granddad has all his out. The engine bay is less cluttered and looks better. I couldn't guess on how much performance is gained with all that removed. Probly not much. My Waggy Brougham goes when I hit the gas.

------------------
        My Home Page IFSJA Sticker
        83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho RS 9000's, 2" rear blocks.
        Bob
        83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
        83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• TPIGUY
          232 I6
          • Jul 22, 2000

Joe C.

The air injection tubes are there strictly for emissions. They are used to inject oxygen into the exhaust stream so the catalytic converter can "burn" off the excess hydrocarbons created with a rich mixture during warmup. Once the engine warms up, the air is diverted to the atmosphere or on late model cars, to the catalytic convertors second stage. Modern fuel injection systems control this system via commands from the computer. The pre-computer systems handled everything with vacuum operated temperature switches. You can take them out and it won't harm performance at least after the engine warms up.
          _________________________<BR>85 Grand Wagoneer<BR>Tuned Port Injection

Comment

Working...
          X