• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SlickKipper
    258 I6
    • May 26, 2000

Want excuse to buy MSD ig.coil.

Any sob stories about failing stock coils would be greatly appreciated, as well as anecdotal or quantitative evidence of the virtues of MSD coils, and also model #'s, and info on how easy it is to install the new coil.

-Slick Kipper and his fsj-
    Well fellas, I\'m ashamed to admit that I sold my GW to a family friend, Fall 01. Got t\'hankerin\' for a motorcycle, and I was also in dire need of a daily driver, gas was \'spensive and I was runnin\' outa\' dough for Elsie (the GW) so there ya go. I won\'t mention brands of m\'new stuff \'cause we all know Jeep isn\'t making any p/u trucks or motorcycles these days, but I sure do miss participating in the club.
  • fishermike
    232 I6
    • Jun 18, 2000

Well, Slick, you're not alone!

Before you buy anything, make sure you check out the "Ford Ignition Upgrade":

Things to know:

a) just replacing the coil with a Blaster is a one banana job, five minutes tops...

b) there are tons of other "high energy" coils available, check Summit Racing, for example, but MSD seems to enjoy a good reputation among FSJ'ers (so does the aforementioned Ford upgrade)...

c) it's a good idea to upgrade your distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, and re-gap your plugs so the extra juice does more good than harm...

d) unfortunately, it seems that the real weak link in our ignitions is the d@mn module. MSD (and many others) make great high performance "brains" to replace or supplement the stock system, but we're talking a bit of cash now...

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

------------------
    -Mike
    '85 GW "Cherry Bomb"
    -Mike<br />\'85 GW <br />360/727/229/44/20/3.31<br />Flowmaster<br />\'98 Grand Cherokee<br />Loaded<br />\'86 Samurai<br />no top, no doors...

Comment

• ivanho
      230 Tornado
      • Jul 19, 2000

As long as your plugs are firing (the plug gap is ionized), higher voltage by itself will have no effect on your motors performance. A higher voltage coil is useful in two different scenarios:

1. You have biult a high compression engine or have installed a forced induction system (turbo or supercharger) that compresses the incoming air/fuel mixture. Under these circumstances it is difficult for the plug to fire when gapped as if to be used in a stock motor. In order to have a plug gap of useful size more voltage is necessary for gap ionization.

and/or

2. By increasing the plug gap a larger spark will be generated. A larger spark will burn the air/fuel mixture more thoroughly, resulting in more power (which may or may not be noticable).

However, if the only igniton modification is replacing your stock coil for a higher voltage coil, a well running motor will not experience any power gains. The coil is one link in a chain. You also need to replace your wires and re-gap your spark plugs.

When replacing wires the critical performance spec is 'ohms per foot'. This is a measure of how much voltage a wire can handel.

When regapping your plugs, you need to increase the gap and then install the plug into the motor. Run the motor, then remove and inspect the plug. Continue this cycle until the plug appears to not be firing properly.

It is worth noting however that increasing your coil voltage and your plug gap will result in your spark plugs wearing out much quicker than normal. But I suppose this is no big deal when Platinum plugs are only $1.99ea.

To wrap it up. I own a MSD Blaster 3 coil. and it's been 3 years so far with no trouble. I would buy one again.

It is now time for me to go back to lunch. I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by ivanho (edited July 24, 2000).]

Comment

• BIGUGLY
        232 I6
        • Jul 17, 2000

I know Jacobs are quite costly, BUT, i belive it is well worth the money. Mine cost around $420 and I have seen cheaper. Call them and dicker. Don't take their first offer. Good luck.

------------------
        79 Cherokee
        BIGUGLY
        360 Stroker/TH400/QT/44's
        edelbrock performer pac
        3"lift 33x12.5
        79 Cherokee<BR>BIGUGLY<BR>360 Stroker/TH400/QT/44\'s<BR>edelbrock performer pac<BR>3\"lift 33x12.5

Comment

• SlickKipper
          258 I6
          • May 26, 2000

OK, I'm convinced that the $'s better spent on boring ol' stuff that'll improve the wags dependability...

Oh well, I tried.

Thanks for the info.
          Well fellas, I\'m ashamed to admit that I sold my GW to a family friend, Fall 01. Got t\'hankerin\' for a motorcycle, and I was also in dire need of a daily driver, gas was \'spensive and I was runnin\' outa\' dough for Elsie (the GW) so there ya go. I won\'t mention brands of m\'new stuff \'cause we all know Jeep isn\'t making any p/u trucks or motorcycles these days, but I sure do miss participating in the club.

Comment

• JERRY88GW
            232 I6
            • Jun 09, 2000

I did that whole 'ford' upgrade to my AMC engine. All MSD products: Wires, Dist. Cap and Rotor, 6A Module and the TFI Coil. Total cost was $300.00. Much cheaper than the Jacobs, and some would argue that it's better as well.

I never have owned any Jacobs products so I don,t know. But, I love the consitancy and increased power I've seen since my MSD upgrade.

One question:
            How much of a gap increase on the plugs?

Comment

Working...
            X