• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClarkGriswald
    350 Buick
    • Jul 03, 2000

^*%$^#%^() Previous Owner Blues!

I am so bummed right now there arent words for it.. just got my rebuild kit and a new float for my 2150 carb today.. Im sittin here right now in my living room. after completly disasembling it down to the bare base.. i went outside and started hosing it down with carb cleaner and scrubbing with various toothbrush's ect... then it happend.. I sprayed my mighty stream of carb cleaner into the "Ignition port vac source" as it is called in the tech section tips on rebuilding a 2150. a nipple that a rubber hose goes on... passenger side right near the bottom of the carb and near the front.. well much to my suprise, the carb cleaner sprayed right out of the side of the carb.. once i scrubbed the funk of forty thousand years off of it, I found a large crack that is nearly ready to break that entire corner(tab) of the body off.. and no doubt a huge vac leak.. cant tell if im mad or just depressed but this means no more driving my Wag.. and back to the stand by. 2wheeldrive commanche which is like driving a herbie curby around.. should have bought that new 2150 on ebay a few weeks ago.. now i need to get a 2150 to rebuild. since the kit cost's 51 bucks plus a 5 dollar float.. i want to use this stuff not waste my hard earned cash.... sorry about the rant, but I had to vent somewhere and perhaps some of you folks have had a similar experience..
    By the way who were these people before me that thought that the carb had to be bolted down like it was gonna be a cleat to hold cruise ships to the dock. oh well .. now i guess ill put it back together and throw it in the spare parts bin.. if anyone needs any parts off it besides the base\body youre welcome to them

------------------
    88 Grand Wagoneer
    D44's front\rear
    AMC 360
    TF 727
    NP 229 (Funky)
    Bone Stock (for now)
    NO RUNNING BOARDS!
    88 Rusting mound
    79 Rusting mound
  • lanierboy
    258 I6
    • Apr 25, 2000

My-o-my, your story is so sad a tear dropped out of my eye just thinking about your plight. Fortunately for you, I recently upgraded my 360 with a Holley EFI. I have an extra 2150 in desparate need of a rebuild. It's yours if you want it. Just email me your address and the Santa's summar ups elves will deliver it up.

It's so depressing to think that there is an FSJ lying on a driveway unable to breathe.

------------------
    1987 GW "Global Warmer"
    AMC360 / NP229 / TF727
    Holley Projection 2bbl
    TFI Ignition upgrade
    1987 GW <b>\"Christine\"</b><br />AMC360 / NP229 / TF727<br />Holley Projection 2bbl<br />TFI Ignition upgrade<br />MSD Ignition<br />Skyjacker 4\" Spring lift<br />GoodYear Workhorse 31/10.5<br /><a href=\"http://members.home.net/lanierboy/\" target=\"_blank\">My Web</a>

Comment

• Skye
      232 I6
      • Apr 09, 2000

Free carb to Clark! Man, I love this place!

100 cool points to lanierboy!

------------------
      83 Wagoneer.... um... thats all
      83 Wagoneer.... um... thats all

Comment

It's Christmas in August now?!?!? WOW!!!! you guys never told me!!!! Who get's my wish list....ummmmm let's see..... 38x14.50 Super Swampers... and uuhhh....yeah... P/T kit of myQT.....and... what else....uhhh... oh yeah.... a couple gallons of that Durabak. YEAH!!!!That otta do it for now... who gets the wish list to fill.... any takers?

Just havin' fun.... good for you Jason... Nice guys like Lanierboy are a good breed ...like The Forum users . Props to ya Lanierboy... way to help out a fellow FSJer.

P.S. Jason... half done with the rear mods and started the steering today. SHHHHHH!!!

------------------
        TJ
        78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
        360/TH400/QT
        Dana 44's (soon to be 4.88's)
        7" SOA conversion
        4" Skyjacker Softride
        3" Trailmaster Bodylift
        33x12.50's on 15x10's
        (soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
        My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
        "Where there's a hill...there's a way!"
        Todd
        www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
          350 Buick
          • Jul 03, 2000

Yes Lanierboy is the king of the world as far as I know (Steely Dan qoute).

by the way if anyone needs parts for a 2150, mine is good except the body\base. so if anyone wants it to rob parts from let me know its also free..

(RB.. Muh ha ha ha ha ha.. the mad scientest activity continues. blaaaa ha ha ha haa ha ha ha.. ) pay no attention to this ............

------------------
          88 Grand Wagoneer
          D44's front\rear
          AMC 360
          TF 727
          NP 229 (Funky)
          Bone Stock (for now)
          NO RUNNING BOARDS!
          88 Rusting mound
          79 Rusting mound

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
            350 Buick
            • Jul 03, 2000

what do ya think about dark green on burgandy???????....

ie.. forest green duraback on my entire waggy.. even inside on the metal cargo area and trim pieces.. against the burandy leather.... ..
            ive seen green and burgandy\maroon togethor lots of times. even lots of times as the color scheme in bars.. green\burgandy\and wood

------------------
            88 Grand Wagoneer
            D44's front\rear
            AMC 360
            TF 727
            NP 229 (Funky)
            Bone Stock (for now)
            NO RUNNING BOARDS!
            88 Rusting mound
            79 Rusting mound

Comment

Actually Mr. Griswald, the burgandy color in bars started out as tan but was discolored by all the smoke and bull:o:o:o:o floating through the air . I'm getting out of the bar biz...got an interview for an honest, responsible job tomorrow that will give me weekends free to wrench on my Cherokee. Wish me luck.

------------------
              '78 Chero WT
              401/4bbl/TH400/QT
              44s F&R
              "Jeep: the toughest 4-letter word on wheels"

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ClarkGriswald:
                what do ya think about dark green on burgandy???????....

ie.. forest green duraback on my entire waggy.. even inside on the metal cargo area and trim pieces.. against the burandy leather.... ..
                ive seen green and burgandy\maroon togethor lots of times. even lots of times as the color scheme in bars.. green\burgandy\and wood

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummm.... I try to picture it it my head, and come up with... well... thinkin' of Christmas again!!! Nah... just kiddin'....sounds cool. I'm gonna go my very first idea for a paint scheme with the Durabak. It's $129/gal for anything other than black though. OUCH!!! 4 gallons if figured should coat everything.... hmmmm... better start saving now

P.S. I talked to them and said a 1/4" spray tip is what they use for applying...think I'll look into tha tip for my new gun (Wife's getting me a 6.5 hp 35gal compressor with an assortmment of accessories for X-mas) Man, I love my better half... she means the world to me, in all seriousness.

------------------
                TJ
                78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
                360/TH400/QT
                Dana 44's (soon to be 4.88's)
                7" SOA conversion
                4" Skyjacker Softride
                3" Trailmaster Bodylift
                33x12.50's on 15x10's
                (soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
                My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
                "Where there's a hill...there's a way!"
                Todd
                www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Dutch
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 10, 2000

Mr. Griswald,

I have a Motorcrap 2150 recently removed and in reasonable working order. Since I am in Cincinnati, OH. it may be easy to get to you. It sits on my workbench looking pitiful so let me know if it would help. It's free just cover me on shipping and a box. Check out "For Sale" for other stuff.

Dutch
                  \"I ain\'t old...just tired of learning\"<br /><br />\"Jeep gave her life... but Edlebrock raised her\"<br /><br />84 J-10 (body and spirit)<br />89 GWAG (heart and lungs)<br />K&N, MSD, Taylor, Rancho RSX, Goodyear, Carter 4BBL, Edlebrock headers, etc... <br /><br />Man... I just love them stickers.

Comment

• Puslinch
                    232 I6
                    • Apr 22, 2000

Clark;
                    Same here, I have a spare 2150 in good working order currently been used as a door stop. I'm around the Toronto area, shipping would be under 10$. Let me know if you want it!
                    ---------------<br />Puslinch<br />90 Grand Wagoneer<br />Holley Projection 2DI

Comment

• porkchop
                      Master of B.S.
                      • Apr 17, 2000

I know that you already have one but I to have one that is just sitting in my garage along with about 200 other odds and ends from my parts rig.

RB, what color were you planing on using again? Because herculiner now has colors. I believe they have red, green, white, gray, and blue. You can get this stuff anywhere and it is the same as durabek. This is the stuff that was in my suzuki. It is always on sale at K-Mart for $79-$89 a gallon. Also if you want to do this before X-mas, you can use my compressor. I am going to pick up the gun in about two weeks. I don't think it will take four gallons 2 should do it. I put three coats in my zuk and I still had almost half a gallon left.

------------------
                      '67/'79 Wagoneer mix
                      Body of a 33 year old
                      Heart and legs of a 21 year old.
                      360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
                      32X11.50's

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeep."

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
                        350 Buick
                        • Jul 03, 2000

Ok, it is 2:51 in the morn. I got home at about 10 at night on wednesday, to find the carb that Lanierboy sent to me. Now Im kicking back with a captian and coke, admiring my excellent combination of my old carb and Lanierboys carb.. (which was a reman. and much cleaner than my old one. but mine had some better parts on it like the powervalve cover. which was really warped on the reman carb.. anyway. its ready to go on the waggy . I'll put her on and tune it tommorow)

But more importantly, Lanierboy ROCKS!!!!... Thanx again and again for sending me this carb.. . by the way it was full of tons and tons of broken chips of plastic or rubber or something, hope this stuff wasnt getting into your motor (although it appears that some of it probably was) I sure hope (sure you did) you replaced your fuel filter and checked your supply lines when you changed to your new system.. might wanna look around in your filter or whatever.. mabye that stuff was in the fuel tank???? It may have been causing prob's with the carb from the looks of it. just a thought.. now it is sitting on top of my leslie mocking me hehehe.. tommorow it begins its new life...

Long live this List\Forum\Website\Community

------------------
                        88 Grand Wagoneer
                        D44's front\rear
                        AMC 360
                        TF 727
                        NP 229 (Funky)
                        Bone Stock (for now)
                        NO RUNNING BOARDS!
                        88 Rusting mound
                        79 Rusting mound

Comment

• lanierboy
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 25, 2000

That's interesting that the old carb was full of garbage. I've only had the GW for around 2k miles and I've found more signs of abuse, neglect and screwball halfbaked fixes than I can believe. With 183k miles on her, the body is in very good shape but mechanically has been something else. On the bright side, I've upgraded my mechanical knowledge from none-existent to "I know enough to be dangerous" -- mostly because of this forum!!! Good luck with the rebuild and if the reman base doesn't work out, you know the old saying "jack, jack no take back"

------------------
                          1987 GW "Global Warmer"
                          AMC360 / NP229 / TF727
                          Holley Projection 2bbl
                          TFI Ignition upgrade
                          1987 GW <b>\"Christine\"</b><br />AMC360 / NP229 / TF727<br />Holley Projection 2bbl<br />TFI Ignition upgrade<br />MSD Ignition<br />Skyjacker 4\" Spring lift<br />GoodYear Workhorse 31/10.5<br /><a href=\"http://members.home.net/lanierboy/\" target=\"_blank\">My Web</a>

Comment

• Narnian
                            350 Buick
                            • Aug 02, 2000

This is about the happiest story I've read all week . . .

BTW, even though I'm now going to be broke after I fix my Vette, I'm still wanting to install the Holley injection. How tough did you find the task Lanierboy?
                            1981 Cherokee Chief Laredo: 360 w/Holley Fuel Injection, Edelbrock manifold, NP219, 3.31, 33\'s, no fuzzy dice (yet)<br />1987 J20: Stock except for the gaudy red Durabak all over the exterior<br />1990 Corvette that get\'s driven anytime I don\'t need to haul a load or go offroad and the temperature is over 32F.

Comment

• fishermike
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 18, 2000

I could use one of those extra 2150's - I need to rebuild mine, but as a first-timer, I'd like to minimize downtime (and disaster potential!) by rebuilding one, then swapping it in. I'd be happy to pay shipping, and then pass mine along on the same terms when I'm finished. Thanks!

------------------
                              -Mike
                              '85 GW "Cherry Bomb"
                              360/727/229/44/20/3.31
                              Flowmaster, K&N AF
                              -Mike<br />\'85 GW <br />360/727/229/44/20/3.31<br />Flowmaster<br />\'98 Grand Cherokee<br />Loaded<br />\'86 Samurai<br />no top, no doors...

Comment

Working...
                              X