• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwinn
    360 AMC
    • Nov 05, 2001

Arizona Off-road Trip Report

All went well! 5 FSJ's started and finished the Box Canyon/Martinez Cabin off-road trip. Our intended trip leader; Chris had to cancel due to mechanical problems , so all 5 Jeeps took turns leading the pack! [img]smile.gif[/img] Frank and wife; Kelly, with children; Megan and Alex, and dog; Marley, made the trip in his '79 Cherokee; "Spirit of Arizona". Mike and wife; Christine, wheeled in their '81 Wagoneer; "Will E". The trail got a little rough, but with good spotting "Will E." earned the new nickname, "E. Will"! Ryan and his friend; Mark, off-roaded in his '76 "Burly J10". Ryan still won't divulge any info on where his home in Durango is, so dinners and beds at the Ouray Invasion are still BYO at the KOA! Gary and S/O; Heather, wheeled with his '78 Cherokee; "Camo Cow". None of us knew the trail except the "Camo Cow"! Thank goodness for modern navigational equipment! I brought my wife; Robin, son; Chris, and brother; Stephen, on the trip in my '88 Grand Wagoneer; "Johnson". Stephen shot about 30 pics of our FSJ's, and 70 of our beautiful desert mountain scenery! He'll e-mail them to me when he gets back to LA this week. I'll send them on to the trip attendees when I get them! I've got a feeling there are a few good pics in there!
    This was a lot of fun! I hope we can all get together again soon! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] ~Tom

Trip attendee Forum names:
    AzFrank aka Desertson
    will e
    burlyj10
    Gary Holmes
    gwinn

[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: gwinn ]</p>
    1983 Cherokee Laredo "Gus"

• irbob
    360 AMC
    • Apr 11, 2000

Man I envy all of you that could make it. Sounds like a really great time was had. My rig is still testing my every nerve ending. I welded a new E-brake cable bracket on the pass side 3" further back from original location. It is no longer holding my axle at bay on that side. I now will remove the fuel tank tomorrow to do the other side and gain axcess to the front leaf mount. The front wheel well is up at around 40". Now to get the rear up there.

When is the next outing.
    Bob
    83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
    83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• AzFrank aka Desertson
      258 I6
      • Apr 19, 2002

Hey Tom,
      Your to modest.You forgot to mention who the man was that showed a couple of chevys how to
      C-R-A-W-L up a hill,a steep,deep rutted one at that.
      You need to replace the pic of "Johnson" with one your brother took while your going up that hill!
      "E-Will" You earend your trail badge my friend,good job!
      "Burly J-10" I hope you enjoyed some Az wheeling.
      "Camo Cow" thank you for your on boared computer and guidance.
      We had a great time with a awsome group of folks.
      I'm looking forward to the next trail ride with ya'll and with those who could not make it on this one.
      Oh yes, one last thing,Robin,have faith stay in the Jeep next time.LoL [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      Respect our Mother Earth,<br />Pack it in pack it out,<br />and Keep-A-Jeepin\'<br />My \'79 Cherokee motto<br />\"Old an slow and wanna be off road\"<br />Her name,Spirit of Arizona

Comment

• Tad
        • Nov 30, 2001

Sounds like a lot-o-fun was had. Can't wait to see the pic's.
        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• burlyj10
          232 I6
          • Oct 23, 2001

Hey guys, first of all i want to thank everyone that wnt on the trip this weekend for being such friendly people and awesome trail leaders. not that i expected any less from those who drive FSJ's And id especially like to thank Chris for getting all of this going. He organized everything even after he had some problems with his rig and couldnt go. Hope you got that hitch all worked out Chris and thanx. Hopefully we'll get to see ya on the next one.( which im already looking forward to)
          "E WIll"- so what kind of lift have you decided on? Hope you had fun and i know we have got you hooked now!-
          "gwinn"- as soon as i have me pics developed youll have to send me your address so you can post you going up an obstacle that a Chevy couldnt do forwards! [img]smile.gif[/img] And nope sorry no directions to the madres house. although shes a Jeep lover too, i dont think shed like having 20 FSJs sitting in her yard. and i dont think i can pull off the "they followed me home can i keep em?" line like i have in the past...
          "AzFrank"- it was nice to meet you and your family. You r a true badazz.
          "camo cow"-great to meet someone with so much info on tap. Like the rig and hope you get those revolvers figured out.

once again everyone thankx for the great trip and i hope to see you all again soon.
          laters ryan
          \"Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless like water, you put water into a cup in becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle, you put water into a teapot it becomes a teapot. Water can flow or it can crash, I say be water my friend.\" <br /> -Bruce Lee<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />1976 J10-Brown, white campershell. <br />AMC 360- no mods to speak of...yet...<br />Custom 3 inch exaust<br />SuperLift 4in. BlackDiamond XT shocks <br />33X12.50 BFG MT Km\'s<br />KC 150W DayLighters, <br />Ramsey 8,000lb winch <br />Decent stereo system<br />Proud Member of the CREEPER<br />JEEPERS CLUB of Durango, Colorado!

Comment

• burlyj10
            232 I6
            • Oct 23, 2001

Oh btw, you guys that went and saw my truck.Wadda think a good name for the ol girl would be. i aways just call her babe but she needs a REAL name. let me know what you come up with.
            thanx ryan
            \"Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless like water, you put water into a cup in becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle, you put water into a teapot it becomes a teapot. Water can flow or it can crash, I say be water my friend.\" <br /> -Bruce Lee<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />1976 J10-Brown, white campershell. <br />AMC 360- no mods to speak of...yet...<br />Custom 3 inch exaust<br />SuperLift 4in. BlackDiamond XT shocks <br />33X12.50 BFG MT Km\'s<br />KC 150W DayLighters, <br />Ramsey 8,000lb winch <br />Decent stereo system<br />Proud Member of the CREEPER<br />JEEPERS CLUB of Durango, Colorado!

Comment

• Gary Holmes
              232 I6
              • Sep 10, 2001

Had a great time with FSJ'ers for a change. Hate to have to be so careful around the baby jeeps. Always getting them stuck in the tread. What a mess to cleanup. Crunchy on the outside with a creamy filling. Yuck! Camo Cow is down for more mods. I want to bullet proof the air system, install the Holley Pro-Jection and I have some crackle finish/polished fin valve covers to install along with a new oil pan with a skid plate built on. Thanks to Tom Gwinn I may go to a 2" body lift to clear some 37" MT/R's too. Went out the next day to Sauguaro Lake (The Coves) and used the Camo Cow to pull out a burnt out wreck of a CRV. The ARB in the front axle came in handy gettin gup some of those hills towing the wreck. Did a great job and the Forestry Service is happy with what we were doing. Head the comment about the Cow on the CB that it goes like a tank! Duh!

Had a great time with some great people. Can't wait to do it again.
              \'78 Jeep Cherokee W/T - The \"CAMO COW\" - Way too much to list!!

Comment

• desert_freak
                350 Buick
                • Dec 25, 2000

Sounds like fun guys, I may even make the drive to tag along next time. Gary I love your rig, something to shoot for, for us less modified guys.

Mojave road is 5/17/02!

I will most likely be doing the Mojave Road, any takers?

P.J.
                '74 J10, Soon SBC/700R4/208 on 35's
                '90 Wagoneer/Klune/208/SOA w/Custom Spring Hangers/HP D44 Alloy USA Axles/14 Bolt/Locked F&R/37" MTRs on H2 Rims/BJ's Bumpers/Custom Rock Sliders/Tad Rack...

Comment

• gwinn
                  360 AMC
                  • Nov 05, 2001

I just mailed you guys Stephen's pics! The link is on a free (as long as not abused) host site so please just download the pics, then show them off from your disk. Do not post link!!! Gary or Ryan: I've only got a 56K connection. Could one of you (with broadband) burn me the originals of some of the better FSJ pics on a CD or Zip250 if you got one. If not, no biggie, I got the medium size pics of most of the FSJ's. Thanks!~Tom

[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: gwinn ]</p>
                  1983 Cherokee Laredo "Gus"

Comment

• will e
                    Always Broke
                    • Nov 16, 2001

Thanks for the Pictures Tom. We will get ours posted soon.

Thanks to everyone for a great time on the trail. I know that my stock Wag (with a trailer hitch that is less than a foot off the ground) held us up some and I thank each of you for helping out! Looks like you all got to practice your spotting and rock stacking techniques. You got me out without getting stuck or any body damage! Just those custom exhaust mods (ha ha) which I have already fixed.

We had a great time with a great group of folks.

It was a lot of fun watching Tom go up the hill that was giving those che^ys a problem. He made it look easy! Especially when he stopped 1/4 of the way back down, put it in reverse and drove up backwards. Well, at least he had the good grace not to do it in front of the Che^y owners!

I felt really proud of my stock wag. When i got home I emptied it out, hosed it off and just sat and looked at it for half an hour! (dreaming of lifts, tires, CB's, GPS's, OBA, Fuel Injection) I am hooked!

You were all very gracious. I will return the favor to the next newbie that hits the trail.

E. Will
                    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• burlyj10
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 23, 2001

Hey Tom! ya i can do that for ya if you havent already gotten it figured out. If you give me your address i can mail it to ya or we can just set up a place to meet sometime. Just get back to me! Ryan

Desert_freak-
                      Hey man i would love to get out there with you sometime and hit the trails with another J-truck, but unfortunatly im going back home that weekend for some friends graduation. But hey next time you want to get out just email me or post something. Laters Ryan

Comment

• irbob
                        360 AMC
                        • Apr 11, 2000

I know I didn't show for the big event (good intentions) but would it be to much trouble to be put on the picture list?
                        Bob

Comment

• Tad
                          • Nov 30, 2001

gwinn,
                          Great pic's you got up there, got to love the chevy all half @#sed up in the air. Wish I was in your league right now. Any of you folks need to do some fabbing, welding, cutting, bending, fixing type stuff, or are just going to be in the area this summer, drop on by.

AZ Summer Welding Time

Just great pic's, can't say that enough, job well done.
                          2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                          EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                          Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• irbob
                            360 AMC
                            • Apr 11, 2000

Thanks gwinn those pics rock. Wish "Woooooof" was ready to go but I'm trying to figure out what to do in my other hand.
                            Bob

Comment

Working...
                            X