PDA

View Full Version : Las Cruces 2011 is this the 4th annual? Lets talk dates!

Michael
04-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Guys Gals lets get some dates out there. I know we like October and I know I need to look at my work schedule.... Can I still kick this off even if I do not have a fsj? Who knows what I will bring. Or maybe someone should take it over.:confused:

Ok lets hear your thoughts.

Tad
04-24-2011, 07:16 AM
A:
I think you do a fine job and no one should care what anyone wheels there.
B:
October is great and the cooler weather towards the end of the month was great last year.
C:
Splitting it over a weekend worked out pretty good for most folks as far as work/school/life schedules went I think.
D:
I think I could smell 'Cruces coming from the trails in Silver this past Thursday & Friday.
:thumbsup:

fulsizjeep
04-24-2011, 07:23 AM
:D @ Tad

Michael, I might have poked a little fun at the Wrangler thing you are building but that don't mean I mind riding along to watch you rough house with it. :thumbsup:
I like late October too and sure want to be there this time. :fsj: Even with the baby 33s. LOL

Locked and Loaded
04-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Are all the trails as difficult as they look in your pictures? Do they have bypasses?

Tad
04-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Are all the trails as difficult as they look in your pictures? Do they have bypasses?
The trails vary across the spectrum Jeff.
http://www.webejeepin.com/Trails/New_Mexico/Trails_NM.htm
Almost all have bypasses (ask me how I know :D )
Lot's of stuff here also:
http://www.olskool4x4.com/Trails.html

We discussed last year dedicating a day to some of the easier areas for rigs, especially those of us that don't trailer and have to drive home. I'd also be willing to spend a day prowling some of the old mines and such in the outlying areas.

EDIT:
Also for some folks coming in on I-10 from the west or from the northwest of I-25 my place in Silver can be a stop over to break up the drive.

Heimeken
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
I'd say the best choice are either the 20th-23rd, or 27th-30th. I'm open to either. Best thing to do is pick a date when all or most of the Veteran's can make it. Might be a little early to fix the date though, just keep an eye on your calendar.

ChiefBone
04-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Awesome. I'm in El Paso and I'm ready for my first FSJ event with my Chief. This will give me some inspiration to work on her over the summer.

About the trails...they are crazy. I have wheeled with the Ol'Skool guys linked earlier (we can even get them involved as guides). The rocks are big, sharp and loose. I have wheeled many places in my HUMMER with no problem, but I kept getting hung-up on the harder trails like Carnage Canyon. But yes, there are some easier ones too like the Dona Ana.

Since I'm local, I'd be happy to help however I can.

Tad
04-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Welcome to the party Chief.
This will be trip 4 for the group, trip 5 for Michael and myself, probably way more that that for Heimeken and Sambo since they are real close.

nemec3rd
04-27-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm in Rio Rancho, NM. In any of your experience do you think the easy trails are something my stock GW could handle?

I'm running an 83 Brougham with the 360, and 31" BFG MT KM2's
I'm planning on doing a 3"-31/2" lift on it just not sure if I'd be able to swing it before then. But it might be just the little motivator I need to get it done sooner.
I tried to attach pics to this post but no seeing them:confused:

What do you think?
Thanks,
Nemec

Tad
04-27-2011, 03:48 PM
What do you think?
Honestly?
Ok, I think you would have a lot of fun and it's got to be one of the best group of drivers/spotters I have been with.

What was Ted running back in 2008?
I'm thinking basic fender trimming, 4" and 31's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/heimeken/JeepEvents/LasCruces2008/FSJ-Enchilada032.jpg

You will snag some stuff at 4" and the potential for body/rock contact is there, but that can happen on any trail for the most part.
I would dig back through this section and look at the pic's, see how you feel about it because I don't think any one person should tell another no or yes.
It's a very personal decision with how we treat our rigs and what we want them to do.
All that said, no one has ever been anything but respectful towards me when I have said "no, I'm not doing that" and I've said it more than once there.

Enjoy:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Video/th_LCTest3.jpg (http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/tadsal/Video/?action=view&current=LCTest3.mp4)

nemec3rd
04-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the follow-up Tad. I checked out some of the past posts on Las Cruces. Seems Like there's something for all Skill/Rig levels. Sounds like a good time.

A lot can change between now an then, but for now I'm in.

Thanks,

Nemec

Michael
04-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Sounds great we always welcome any rig! Actually it is a lot of fun wheelin there closer to stock, this year I will probably end up in my wife's JK but I said that last year too.....time will tell. This is a great group if you want to do something like this for the first time. I could not imagine a better group to do this with.

fulsizjeep
04-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Coming from a one time veteran with small lift and tires, I like October 20th-23rd. I hope Krista and I can both be there with 2 light duty trail rigs (compared to the 37-40s and heathen barbarian cutting torch lifts). :cool:

Tad
04-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Think of all the cool trail fixes/work we have done there.

Michael?
You bringing Eddie again?
Never know when we might need a fan shroud to magically appear.

Michael
04-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Shoot Flint.....I think anything under 40" is small...:rolleyes: On the Eddie note...not sure, he sure had fun. I know if he does not get busy on his it will not happen. Well unless he rides in the back seat of Jodie's JK ( she said there is now way she is missing it again!) I bought a 30ft gooseneck after we got back, so there is plenty of room to pull two rigs there....

I want the YJ there. It would be a good test run LOL. Still have lots to do. Finish building the rockwells, wiring, mounting shifters, mount radiator, make driveshafts, list goes on and on. Hopefully it will be running in the next week or so.

Tad
04-29-2011, 07:33 AM
...list goes on and on...
Ya,
I just move the rock's around on the back slab for fun.
Haven't done squat with them other than play around with making some wheel centers for the 12-bolts.
Send me the number and angles you need on the gussetts and I'll sic one of the kids on them.

1jeep
04-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Oct is a good date for me if all goes well. This would be my first time out with the Waggie. But I need to get it put back together and check the axles before I take it on a long trip.

Sambo
05-08-2011, 07:15 PM
well i am not on call in oct so i am good with any date:cool:
i guess i could save some vacation time for then!

being i only have 135hrs of vac,32 hrs choice holiday,and 24 sick!
lol probly use sick leave for wheeling,sick and tired of working and going wheeling instead!:thumbsup:

hey i might down size to the wag

anyone with smaller tires i recommend nerf bar/rock sliders.but we are pretty good spotters,just ask george!

Tad
05-09-2011, 05:35 AM
...anyone with smaller tires i recommend nerf bar/rock sliders.but we are pretty good spotters,just ask george!
A locker really would help too.
Video is almost done for the 2009/2010 runs, just need a few more hours of free time.

Michael
05-09-2011, 08:21 PM
[quote=Sambo]well i am not on call in oct so i am good with any date:cool:
i guess i could save some vacation time for then!

hey i might down size to the wag

quote]

One question, why
ok another question, you scared?

Now that said, I might just bring the JK, its on 35's but open on both ends I think it would be fun! Ok they are 34's but it says 35 on the sidewall.

Sambo
05-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Actually it is a lot of fun wheelin there closer to stock.
lol just taking advice:thumbsup: oh and it fits on the trailer without swapping tires

Michael
05-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Oh u take things toooooo literally, that was a sales pitch!

Sambo
05-10-2011, 07:20 PM
but your right.driving a rig without any help,albeit lockers,gears,etc is alot of fun.true test of a driver and "his" capabilties,not the rig:alc:
my vote is for 20-23

Ugly Truck Nut
05-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Looking forward to seeing everyone there. I determine my schedule so just let me know what dates.

Michael
06-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Here we go, well I am going to be iffy this year. Many personal things are a contributing factor. Here are the weekends I am off work, please if these dates do not work for the core group please speak up, any weekend can be scheduled!

Oct. 13-16
Oct. 27-30

I like the later one for sure. Please let's settle on a date so I can get ahold of Leah.

Sambo
06-01-2011, 09:39 PM
well i just got thru trashing my jeep(tow up alotta $h!t!) went to pulla guy outa the mud.pixs and explanation in gen/dis 2morrow
probly gonna change jobs soon as well.so i am game for anything;)

Tad
06-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Oct 27-30 works best for me but I can do 13-16 with enough notice.

Heimeken
06-02-2011, 09:32 PM
27 to 30th works for me and is my preference this year.

fulsizjeep
06-03-2011, 04:50 AM
27-30 for me too. Us hopefully. :thumbsup:

Michael
06-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Ok I will get ahold of Leah this week! And then I will work on getting my rig done! And my house!