PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 1978 J10

akellym
08-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Just wondering what I should be looking for or at on a 1978 J10, are there normal trouble spots etc.

Thanks

Satch
08-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Make sure you have deep pockets.

81cherokee laredo
08-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Well since the truck your looking at has a nice snow plow attached to it, RUST is the biggie. The bed is going to be your biggest problem for rust. check where the paint changes from black to red, also check the floor boards and cab corners

akellym
08-15-2010, 09:03 AM
It's a Dakota truck and they don't use salt. When I looked at it there was only a little rust in the bed.

HOOT
08-16-2010, 03:34 AM
Has it always been a plow truck? That light on top makes me want to believe it spent a good amount of time pushing snow. That could be somewhat bad to horrible depending on how it was driven like during.
Auto or standard tranny. Auto and if it has a quadra trac case would be working hard. Even with lockouts and a part time conversion installed.
Standard I would worry less but still check the stress points for spring hangers and where the plow mounts.

Normal trouble spots rust wise would be the spring hangers, gas tank straps/skidplate, rusting along bed seams,floorboards and cab corners.

Does it sit for long periods of time unused?
Does it smoke like a freight train when fired up?
If you get that Jeep tingle when you fire it up and drive ...BUY IT.
If you are in doubt about it then walk away, there are alot out there for sale.
Enjoy:drivin: :fsj: :thumbsup: :cool:

Wagn Man
08-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Make sure you have deep pockets.

X2 ;)