PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifold tik tik tik

Down Yonder
09-18-2009, 04:06 PM
From time to time there are postings about this. I have this issue on my 87 wag ...two broken bolts on the driver exhaust manifold.

As Clint Eastwood said "a man's got to know his limitations". So today I paid a local craigslist guy $200 to fix it via heili coils, new gasket and stainless bolts. Not sure if that is the preferred method but no more tik tik.

Rich88
09-18-2009, 04:44 PM
I got tired of that problem and finally installed studs. It also makes the job of installing gaskets easier because you just slide 'em on the studs first and then slide the manifolds on the studs after that. No more screwing around with trying to get a bolt in while holding everything in place.

FSJ Guy
09-18-2009, 06:50 PM
I got tired of that problem and finally installed studs. It also makes the job of installing gaskets easier because you just slide 'em on the studs first and then slide the manifolds on the studs after that. No more screwing around with trying to get a bolt in while holding everything in place.

But can you R&R the manifold with the engine in the truck? I'd think that the studs would be so long that the manifold wouldn't be able to be pulled off or put back on.

Down Yonder
09-18-2009, 07:41 PM
sure, you can pull the exhaust manifold with the engine in the vehicle..unbolt from the top and/or thru the inner fender.

FSJ Guy
09-18-2009, 09:03 PM
sure, you can pull the exhaust manifold with the engine in the vehicle..unbolt from the top and/or thru the inner fender.

Unbolting isn't the issue. Clearance past the studs is.

thechier86
09-18-2009, 09:11 PM
yeah, mine has done the tickyticky the whole time i've had it. i swapped motors for one that i didn't really know the condition of, and it works, but ticks worse, and i can't exactly tell if it's an exhaust leak or if my motor's gonna kerplode, but i'm gonna keep workin on it, so maybe one day things will get better. it's only been running for a day or 2 now....

maccj5
09-18-2009, 10:04 PM
my 87 has a broke off bolt too, it doesn't leak yet but when it does i'll turn up the radio

89wagoneerowner
09-20-2009, 02:48 AM
I have a 89 that I just picked up and mine does that same tick tick and I am going to dig into it farther tomorrow. will let everyone know what I find with mine. I cant stand to drive it with that noise!

drlocke
09-20-2009, 07:38 AM
The ticking is not a good sign. I'm given to understand that the influx of cooler air in negative pressure pulses can eventually damage the exhaust valves.

For my Wag I bought a large sheet of hi-temp gasket material that has some thickness to it. I custom cut my own from it, and it seems to work well.

I did break a bolt while attempting to remove the left side manifold, but I was sending the heads off to machine shop, and they took care of the matter without issue.

89wagoneerowner
09-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Ok so from what I gather it is a good chance that the bolts will break off in the heads when trying to pull them off? I really wish I could fix mine that is the last thing I want to do to it so i can start driving it more. I cant stand that sound.

Down Yonder
09-21-2009, 06:37 AM
You can lessen the chance of bolts breaking off by spraying them with something like PB Blaster, liquid wrench..alternate days spraying it..let it soak for a few days before tackling.

drlocke
09-21-2009, 11:45 AM
You can lessen the chance of bolts breaking off by spraying them with something like PB Blaster, liquid wrench..alternate days spraying it..let it soak for a few days before tackling.

Yup! And by capillary action it will penetrate a fair amount, but we're talking about a 45 degree climb. Definitely let it take its time.

89wagoneerowner
09-21-2009, 08:18 PM
ok when you say a few days is that with spraying it and being able to drive it or are you talking letting it sit for several days not driving it?

Down Yonder
09-21-2009, 08:31 PM
I'd let it sit..my guess is running would evaporate the spray.

I will tell you one thing, when I had the tik tik tik it was like an audio tachometer..the harder the acceleration, the more loud and frequent the tiks...I earned good gas mileage keeping the tiks down..14.9 last 400 mile trip.

letank
09-22-2009, 12:51 AM
ok when you say a few days is that with spraying it and being able to drive it or are you talking letting it sit for several days not driving it?
a few days... but if you need to drive it, repeat the application of the penetrating oil. The more you apply the more likely it will do its work. A little whack w an impact driver may help as well. The 85 is now tickless.... Time to work on the next step.

temps425
12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I will tell you one thing, when I had the tik tik tik it was like an audio tachometer..the harder the acceleration, the more loud and frequent the tiks...I earned good gas mileage keeping the tiks down..14.9 last 400 mile trip.

lol yes! I have been having the exact same experience...keepin it steady and easy 60 in the slow lane haha. . for some reason I feel like somethins gonna bust open...I'll have to report on any MPG increase next fill up :cool: