PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Wagoneer Trouble

FarmerElwood
06-09-2009, 09:41 PM
I have been snow plowing all winter and have always had what I thought was solenoid trouble. If It wouldn't start right up, I would mess with the solenoid wires and it would start. Now it won't even start. I put a new battery in and still nothing. Wont even turn over. Any Ideas. Thanks.

1977cherokeechief
06-10-2009, 12:47 AM
replace your starter solenoid. if that does not do it, then replace ALL of the battery cables, battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter, and motor to ground on battery.

letank
06-10-2009, 09:44 PM
As you said that it does not turn over, you can try to hot wire it..... bypassing the ignition switch? which craps out after 10 years or so.

Ignition switch on the "run" position, then connect a wire from Battery (+) to blue wire post on solenoid, it should turn over.

Other part is the Neutral safety switch so try to rock the transmission selector around P or N. The NSS is above the throttle pedal on 77.... not on the trany like the 80ish and later.

lkmarsh
06-13-2009, 08:30 PM
SuziQ had similar problems with her FSJ. Here's the thread:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=95150
For more electrical mayhem check out the Electrical Archive. Got a voltmeter?

FarmerElwood
06-14-2009, 02:54 AM
:thumbsup: You gents are awesome. I "jumped" the solenoid and it turned over fine. I undid the jump and it kept turning over fine. Is it a quirky solenoid a bad ground or what? Thanks again.

When I start er up for the plowing season after a long sit, I end up having to take the fuel pump off and manualy work it a few time before it draws. Is this just a junk pump or might I have another problem. Thanks.