PDA

View Full Version : 401 startup?

travisrda
05-14-2009, 12:39 PM
I bought a complete 401 that has been sitting for about 5 years what is the proper way to get this thing running again? The po said it ran great when he parked it because of a bad tranny (tf727) it came with another one that he said was freshly rebuilt about 5 years ago he just never got around to putting it in. Anyway I was thinking do an oil change on it and then prime the oil pump and pump oil throughout the engine then turn it over by hand a few times to make sure there isn't anything sticking. Does this sound like the proper way to do this?

babywag
05-14-2009, 12:51 PM
I would pull the plugs, and lubricate the cylinders VERY well before you turn it over, even if only turning by hand.
Use some lightweight oil like marvel mystery oil, tranny fluid, or the spray can fogger stuff (sold for seasonal/long term engine storage).

If there is any surface rust or anything in there you risk damaging the cylinder surface(s).

It'll smoke like **** on startup, but better than having an oil burner or having to re-ring it right away.

travisrda
05-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey thanks for the tip I didn't think about that. do you think pb blaster would work also?

billyrb
05-14-2009, 01:46 PM
5 years, I'd take it down and check the bearings and replace them as well as all gaskets, and also check rings / etc. But that's me, and I like tearing down / rebuilding engines :)

Headhoncho
05-14-2009, 01:48 PM
. But that's me, and I like tearing down / rebuilding engines :)

I like doing that too but the problem is I never get them back together again. :banghead:

JR

Casey
05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
All good advice.

I'd pour gas in it and go. But that's just me. :D

:fsj:

Headhoncho
05-14-2009, 01:54 PM
All good advice.
I'd pour gas in it and go. But that's just me. :D :fsj:

x2 Although I would check the plugs first.

JR

4x4Dad
05-14-2009, 01:57 PM
If you pull the plugs as suggested, just replace them. My two cents.

travisrda
05-14-2009, 05:04 PM
I would love to tear into it and replace everything but I was barely able to get the money out of the wives purse to be able to buy it in the first place!!!!:D

Casey
05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
See post number 6. :D

Hey it's been working for me for thirty years! Yeah I like to rebuild 'em too. There just comes a time when you just have to say what the....

aallison
05-14-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd do like you suggest, prime the oil pump, get oil moving, turn it over a few times, maybe pull the plugs and spray some lubricant in there, PB Blaster sounds good, turn it over a few times by hand, put the plugs in and give it a try.

billyrb
05-14-2009, 06:41 PM
if it was a base model 360, I wouldn't care. But with a 401, they are at more of a premium and I'd take the extra time (only talking about a days worth of work, and about $50-$75 in gaskets / bearings). If the bearings are shot or have corroded / rusted, you'll score the crank and shoot the bearings in short order. But to each his own ;)